Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: really over rated bands....GO!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: really over rated bands....GO!

AWOL wrote:

^and playing off that, Miley Cyrus. She can't actually sing *that* well, she's just a teenager with a good set of lungs on her who happened to have the right parents at the right time.

So true.

Facebook: Personal | Public

ModelMayhem

Tumblr

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Izil wrote:

Evanescence. Mostly because they suck in concert, and their second album, except maybe 'Call Me When You're Sober', was shit.

I do like Muse, Evanescence, Linkin Park and a little Paramore (and some other bands that no one ever heard of OR are old. my music varies widely)

but note that mostly Muse and Paramore are "overated" ever since Twilight came out.

You can't really find anyone who liked these band before Twilight came out, who really know about the bands...

makes me sad and mad, especially when you can't like a certain band when people have to associate it with something

a) in pop culture  (i liked the book "Twlight" slightly. but not the movie. I can't say i like Muse without someone saying "Twilight". I liked Muse WAAAAAAAAAY before Twlight)
b) a Stereotype (and they sometimes use that to target people with)
c) being called emo because one song sound sad and isn't happy or upbeat.  (reference to "b" because not all people who call themselves emo are suicidal and depressed. not the ones at my shcool at least)
d) being called old or not modern enough.

but yeah i guess that's just me.

one of my friends listens to Evanenscence because she thinks it'll make her Goth (another reference to "C" and "B") and she'll attract more guys. i don't even thinks she actually likes them, she just uses that for her "image music". *sighs*

SpikeyFaeirie, you're probably thinking of 30 second to Mars (I think? but yeah they're OK but not super amazing)

From the thunder and the storm,
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Milky Josephine on Tuesday 13th of May 2014 07:08:15 AM

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

Muse has something to do with Twilight?

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

[-Doe-] wrote:

And FUCKING Michael Jackson!!

Whoa, Woah, WHOA...

I hate to disagree, but as a musician and a future Music Industry professional, I must.

A brief bit of MUI history: In the 1970's, overly-convenient means of creating music were growing. By overly-convenient means, I mean synth. Disco and repetitive acid house forms of synth music were growing. Instrumental musicians, acoustic styles, rock, and all that practiced musicians hold dear was going out, and synth and disco were taking over. There was, however a little record label in Detroit that was hanging on through the Music Industry turmoil. That would be Motown Records. Michael Jackson had been performing with the jackson five in the sixties and was gaining so much popularity as a MUSICIAN that he went solo with Motown in 1971. In the years subsequent, his next five albums became some of the best-selling records world-wide. In 1980, he had the highest royalty rate in the music industry, which was about 40% of wholesale album profit. MUI jargon translated, that is a hell of a lot.

His success trumped disco. That is how disco died. Disco would've crashed the music industry then and there, and mainstream music would be completely synthetic by now. MJ saved the music industry from a nasty crash. I must give him his credit.

Also, have you ever tried to transcribe a Michael Jackson chart? It's BUTT HARD. The chord structure was well thought out, and the funk licks are to die for. Especially as he got older and went solo. He played with the best band around at the time. They were called the Funk Brothers. It was sad that they were never really known by that name, but they worked with and backed alot of great musicians, including Stevie Wonder and other Motown label musicians (They were Motown's go-to guys).

I know MJ gets alot of bad publicity these days, which I don't know the truth behind, but I do know that as a musician, the credit he gets, he deserves. 

The majority of the public does NOT listen to music with a musician's ear, which is sad, as there is alot more to appreciate that way. It makes listening to music more interesting and enjoyable. You do not appreciate the genius of a I-bVI modulation until you know what is is. It's like being blind and going to an art museum.

My call to the world: Stop being mindless consumers and actually realize what you are listening to.

I hope I have not offended anyone! That was not my aim :)

Here is my blog.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Paramore and Coldplay are way to over rated for my liking.

Short snippet of my song: Bees Knees

Your eyes they still wail out conflict
But you still think your the bees knees
You keep choking on your vulgar slurs
But in the end it's a comforting pity...
You still like to imagine that you are the bees knees.

Date:

Calliope wrote:

My call to the world: Stop being mindless consumers and actually realize what you are listening to.

Couldn't agree more with the whole thing you wrote (and not just because it goes so well with my argument about generalizing rap and hip-hop artists). Your quote above really should apply to all consumerism, as it would mean a lot more quality being demanded in the market place.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of Michael Jackson's perceived overrated-ness has to do more to do with the bad publicity and rumors circling around him for so many years now than it does with his music. And the fact that he hasn't released an album since 2001 doesn't help people focus on him more as an artist than as a media freakshow.

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Date:

Michael Jackson made some great music. I don't know how much of it he wrote, but he was at the very least a good performer. I think people should leave him alone to squander his fortune.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Aww i really like green day and paramore. Opps =P
Ahh yes girs aloud are awful and very over rated.
So are the saturdays in my opinion.

Faceebook (:
Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

the_aurora_lover wrote:

PARAMORE!!!!!!

FUCKING PARAMORE! sorryz, hate them with all my heart nd they are such sellouts nd over rated!

halley williams deff pisses me off, nd yes paramore is deff like a poser FOB.

Chris Crocker has recently released a single on itunes called......ell i kinda forget.
i think its called Mind In The Gutter.
but anywayz, in my opinion he/she is also over rated.

Deff miley/hannah nd the jonas brothers too.

my friend wants to add that she thinks that Lily Allen is also over rated.

Meh! Please use English! :S

But I do agree with what your saying XD

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

AWOL wrote:
And Fall Out Boy are total shite live.

I thought they were cracking live! Really good! Maybe it was because I was only semi-conscious through the whole thing since I was over heating and being crushed by millions of screaming girls. It's great up at the front. The further from the stage you got though, the more diluted the atmosphere seemed to get. Right at the back must have been shite.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Dang I forgot to add Fall Out Boy and all the shitty Disney people i.e Jonas Brothers,Taylor Swift [damn that woman can not even sing to save someones life] and lets not forget bloody Hannah Montanna. Also I think Lady Gaga is getting way to over rated.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

MGMT is one of my favs, but I kinda agree...

Coldplay (I enjoy their old tunes)

Nickleback

Arcade Fire (Most. Pretencious. Band. EVER.)

Kings of Leon (though, once again I do like them)

Most "punk rock" of recent years bands take themselves far too seriously

Edit: Taylor Swift is honestly not that bad. I respect the work she's put into her career, and I hope she gets better as she ages.

-- Edited by Candace on Friday 1st of May 2009 05:38:05 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

Izil wrote:

the_aurora_lover wrote:

i also think that ALLLLLLLLL rappers are over rated

Wouldn't you have to have listened to all rappers to know if they're overrated?

Granted, I don't have much of an attention span for rap or hip-hop, but I do recognize that there are performers wthin the genre whose music can honestly be argued as being 'good' (which in my mind means it can be defended on an artistic and intellectual level--not just a catchy beat or piece of lyric).

True, there are artists in rap/hip-hop, like any other genre, who are overrated. I tend to believe it's the douche bag types who sing about the expensive brands they buy or who glorify abusing women. However, to dismiss an entire mass of artists within the genre because some of the more popular performers do sing about such things on a constant basis, or because you just don't like said genre in general, is ignorant.

-- Edited by Izil on Wednesday 29th of April 2009 02:49:43 PM

Like i say almost every time i make a post: its my opinion nd i dont CARE wat you have to say about it.
so lay off nd please, you dont know me so you dont have the right to call me ignorant.
Its my opinion nd i dont give a shit if you agree with it or not, but you dont have to go calling ignorant. pssssh please!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I think its unfair to generalise ANY genre of music by saying they're ALL over rated.
I lurveeee Bubba Sparxxx for example, but 50 Cent? Not so much.
There is so much variation even within the genre of hip hop, for example.

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

tht still doesnt change my mind, i think tht all rappers are over rated at one point in the industry.

all i ever hear bout is sex, women, designers, nd money. they all think theyr hott shyt.

nd tht doesnt give the right fer some1 to call me ignorant just because thts my opinion. i never said anyone HAAAAAAAAD to agree, did i? correct me if im wrong.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

just voicing an opinion??? i dont know...

but yeah muse's song super massive black hole was in twilight. but some muisic, i think, gets called overrated because a lot of people listen to it. like evanescence.

and yeah, some punk rock bands in this decade sound a little too pop like for me, but it depends i suppose.

Michael Jackson is good to, but his bad public rep isn't doing any good...

I say, "if you don't like the person, you can still like the music. and vice versa".

From the thunder and the storm,
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view

Date:

the_aurora_lover wrote:

tht still doesnt change my mind, i think tht all rappers are over rated at one point in the industry.

all i ever hear bout is sex, women, designers, nd money. they all think theyr hott shyt.

nd tht doesnt give the right fer some1 to call me ignorant just because thts my opinion. i never said anyone HAAAAAAAAD to agree, did i? correct me if im wrong.

You're right, I don't know you aurora. For all I know you could be the next Einstein and are just hiding it very well. However, at least in your post you seemed (and continue to seem) beyond ignorant. Is it not the very mark of ignorance to judge something based on what little you know/hear, and refuse to perhaps see the other side of the argument for the sake of not looking stupid?

I do not damn you for your opinion; if you don't like rap, then you don't like it. I was merely pointing out that it's unfair to judge every artist in the genre because, "all i ever hear bout is sex, women, designers, and money. they all think theyr hott shyt." I ask you to not damn me for my own opinion, which is that there are honest to goodness talented people within rap and hip-hop who deserve the praise they receive.

And because I feel like backing up my claim, here's a sampling from a hip-hop artist who does not sing all about designers, women, or money:

Asheru--Soul
Asheru--It's About Time
Asheru--'The Boondocks' opening and closing themes (example for the short attention-spanned among us)

I would add more artists, but I don't feel like I should do all the researching for you.

-- Edited by Izil on Saturday 2nd of May 2009 08:01:13 PM

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Honoured Mook

Date:

electrosexual wrote:

AWOL wrote:
And Fall Out Boy are total shite live.

I thought they were cracking live! Really good! Maybe it was because I was only semi-conscious through the whole thing since I was over heating and being crushed by millions of screaming girls. It's great up at the front. The further from the stage you got though, the more diluted the atmosphere seemed to get. Right at the back must have been shite.

Hmmm. I just remember seeing them, and thinking "singing's not that great, neither is the guitar". I do suppose atmosphere might have something to do with it, but not all. I was right up the front for Good Charlotte*, and I left after 2 songs because they were pretty crap as well.

*I was actually there to see the support bands play XD

I am seriously beginning to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Paramore are shit, always will be.

And My Chemical Romance?! Come on.

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

Lush Guru

Date:

Candace wrote:
Arcade Fire (Most. Pretencious. Band. EVER.)

:O

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

red spirit moon wrote:

And My Chemical Romance?! Come on.

Heck yes!
I find the whole Black Parade thing very aggravating.
My Chemical Romance have gone way to over the top for me and Panic at the disco are way to over rated.

I have also notcied that nearly every band on Fueled by Ramen is over rated in one way or another.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Tokio Hotel. It's the most ridiculous drivel I've ever heard. That anyone likes this stuff is incomprehensible to me. At first it just sounds like some mediocre stuff, like an angsty boyband. But as a song proceeds it really makes your ear sweat with the pure, pathetic awfulness. Although it is of course quite a feat to put so much immature whining into music.

Still, I'm kinda glad they are around, because there is so many amusing diehard fans that go apeshit if you mention that the music isn't all that.

It usually goes something like this:

"U R an IDIOT!!!!! Tokio Hotel is the BEZT! I listen to what I want nd Bill Kaulitz is sooooooooooooooooooo sexy! Fuck U , lolz!"

ad nauseam.

There is this other forum I read, for a lark they posted an article about how Tokio Hotel is shitty music and that the Kaulitz brothers are ugly. That immediately brought about a barrage of furious brats that can't/won't spell properly ("I spell the way I want to!" -sure you do. Ever thought about how frustrating it is for other people to read your creative spelling?).
They were so angry that not everyone likes the same music that they do, that they kept writing hateful posts for about half a year. Actually there is still some coming by now and then to shout abuse. From their behaviour you'd think that you had committed genocide and horrible war crimes, not criticizing music.

I find the whole thing very, very funny.

Oh, and last but not least, I'm sure there is a lot of people that likes Tokio Hotel who are nice, intelligent, mature and can spell. Just because some of the fans are horrid little twats doesn't mean they all are.

-- Edited by Irilar on Saturday 2nd of May 2009 06:01:00 PM

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Regular Crew

Date:

Irilar wrote:

Tokio Hotel. It's the most ridiculous drivel I've ever heard. That anyone likes this stuff is incomprehensible to me. At first it just sounds like some mediocre stuff, like an angsty boyband. But as a song proceeds it really makes your ear sweat with the pure, pathetic awfulness. Although it is of course quite a feat to put so much immature whining into music.

100% agreed. They are just... shit. Can't come up with more fitting expression.

HIM, Madonna, MCR, Coldplay, U2. To name a few. And Rihanna! I fail to see what's so wonderful about her. Her voice is so nasal that it pierces my head! But once again, sex sells.

Lush Guru

Date:

Rihanna has actually done some cracking tunes. I agree on her voice, it's very nasal but seriously, disturbia would've been a TUNE no matter who'd sung it. Maybe even Britney.

Regular Crew

Date:

Alka wrote:

Rihanna has actually done some cracking tunes. I agree on her voice, it's very nasal but seriously, disturbia would've been a TUNE no matter who'd sung it. Maybe even Britney.

Does she make those songs herself? Then I must agree that she isn't completely hopeless, although I don't like that kind of music myself. I just hate her voice. 

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Even though I LOVE them, Brokencyde can be rather overrated. All Se7en seems to sing about is sex, alcohol and alcohol-fuelled sex.

I am a socialite, an artist, a poet.

Lady Moustache of Mooky

Lush Guru

Date:

Saarni wrote:

Alka wrote:

Does she make those songs herself? Then I must agree that she isn't completely hopeless, although I don't like that kind of music myself. I just hate her voice. 

Well yeah she makes them herself...it's her voice. I don't know if she writes them though. Possibly.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

There is no way that Rihanna writes her own music... I recently read a short bio on her... Apparently she won a beauty pageant and sang Mariah Carey's "Hero" for the talent portion. A talent scout put in a word for her at a record label and *BOOM* instant star. She grew up as a regular island girl in Barbados. She doesn't study music or even play an instrument. It's near impossible to be a songwriter without being able to play a harmony instrument of some kind (usually piano, guitar or both) for reference in notation. I doubt she knows much about chords, how to extract a melody from chords, or how to harmonize a floating melody. I would be surprised if she even knows how to read a studio lead sheet. Most vocalists don't. She may write her own lyrics, but that doesn't take much study. Most consumers don't know that one must actually be intelligent to write even a simple three chord popular song. Not every little barbie doll beauty queen plucked up by MUI bigwigs can just spin out chart toppers like candy floss.

Sorry for all of my ranting... but I've been breaking my soul over pianos for the past two days writing ambient, jazz and trock ( Two of my friends wanted a trock band and commissioned me to write songs that they can lyricize). Right now, I would readily beat anyone into a bloody pulp who thinks writing good music is a piece of cake...

I may be putting up some music on youtube this summer, by the way... Now that I actually have time to compose.

Here is my blog.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I would like to ask everyone exactly why they think so much of the aforementioned music on this thread is, as so many have put it, "shit", "crap", "awful", etc if they have not already explained?

It seems far too arbitrary to say that something is just outright terrible without giving a logical, musically sound (no pun intended) reason. In most cases, people do not like certain types of music because their senses do not respond to it in the way that others' senses do... but that does not mean that it is "shit", "crap", "awful", "pants", etc.

Here is my blog.
«First  <  1 2 3 48  >  Last»  | Page of 8  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us