Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Boycotts, what ya got?

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
RE: Boycotts, what ya got?

Human rights first, animal rights after.

If I boycott GlaxoSmithKline, I'll die.

A tumblr...

Resident Lord of the Cranberries

Lush Guru

Date:

My problem with Nestle is that they have low prices for formula at first then when the women stop lactating they'll up prices. In a similar manner that drug dealers get clients hooked on freebies first. Also, how can unclean water mixed with powdered milk be any good for children? It just doesn't sit right with me and boycotting Nestle is a way I deal with that.

I boycott cosmetic animal testing, but not medical because I have no problem with (what I see as) necessary animal testing, but my vanity does not need rubbing into bunny's faces.

Lush Guru

Date:

Also hitting Unilever where it hurts for outsourcing labour, child labour and sexist advertising.

Honoured Mook

Date:

The Daily Mail - I can't stand it's scaremongering and demonization of just about every subculture.

Designer clothing - unless it's something really unique that I couldn't get for cheaper, I refuse to pay three times as much as I normally would for an item of clothing just because it has a famous designer's name on it.

Mookface (mod)

Date:

^ Totally agree about the Mail. I won't have most tabloids in my house.

Regular Crew

Date:

I wanna boycott something at least in my life haha its something everyone should do...i just have to start with something..i really want to help poor children and abused women in other countries..hmm.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Well, I boycott Vanity fair. It`s a shitty magazine which writes articles about subcultures which are based on false rumours, and execrated. They also promote an unhealthy idealized image of what people should look like which is just not healthy.

Another think I also boycott is gossip magazines, I cringe every time I see anyone reading them, Honestly who cares if some bimbo who just happens to be the heir to a hotel chain goes out and gets herself drunk? Seriously who gives a shit? and reading it only adds to the circus of silliness. I have to say "sorry for being a bit of a twat here but" the British gossip magazines are... wait a minute the German ones are actually much worse when I think about it. Point being they`re all rubbish.

Come to think of it, I don`t read that many newspapers either, they`re just full of; killed this, died that, bombed here, terrorist there, basically just a load of negative hogwash.
It`s not the fact that I don`t care, but with so much negativity you, easily wind up getting depressed.

Being a casual goth, I boycott almost everything that is mainstream. Both music, clothing and media. I don`t buy clothes based on a little tag that says DG or what ever, but how it looks and feels. Ok, I tend to buy clothes from the James Dean collection, because they`re just so irresistibly comfortable and smart looking "oh lord, could I possibly sound any more gay?"

"cough" Anyway where was I, I make a point out of not paying for any software from Microsoft when at all possible. Why? Because there are only eight countries in the world with more money than Bill Gates, I just think it`s unfair when other people are starving to death elsewhere.

Baby Mook

Date:

Nestle, Coke, Tetley, Unilever, Proctor & Gamble and L'Oreal, plus Pfizer and Bayer when I possibly can.

Regular Crew

Date:

Love this thread! I think everything has already been mentioned:
Nestle - since the Facebook group at Easter pointed out the palm oil, and that's how I found out about the baby formula (sorry Alka, but surely it's better that people found out about these things than not, even if it's annoying the orangutans got more attention than the babies "/
Chicken and eggs that aren't free range and I try to go meat free when I can
Primark
Bottled water - since I wrote my dissertation on evian...
Ooh and companies that claim to be carbon neutral - beware! I read that some will plant trees that completely don't belong in that environment and so drink too much water from the soil eg willow trees. Also, the companies evict families from their farms, so they can use the land to plant trees.

I wish I could boycott Monsanto but they don't seem to put their name on "their" products, and after seeing the panorama on supermarkets and super farms, I'm now determined to shop locally and avoid supermarkets. The trouble is, like most consumers I'm lazy - I think even if more people were aware of the evil things big companies do, they probably would still buy their products, especially now their is less choice and with the prices often being so low... but I am determined to do better!!

<3

Honoured Mook

Date:

Apparently, boycott was a real person. He was a dick, so they boycotted him.

Anyway, this being the season of boycotts (or is it "resolutions?") I'm boycotting WalMart. I don't care if it's the only place to get a napkin dispenser at three in the morning, I will resist.

*edit* Oh yeah, and diamonds too. Bloody horrible items of death, and for what? So that you have a status piece to show all your clucking friends? Not me man, if I get married we can tat that ring on our fingers.

-- Edited by JuniperWoolf on Monday 3rd of January 2011 11:34:25 PM

"All is not lost; the unconquerable will, and study of revenge,
Immortal hate, and courage never to submit or yield:
And what is else not to be overcome.
That glory never shall his wrath or might extort from me."

-Lucifer, Paradise Los
t

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Not all diamonds are blood diamonds. My engagement ring is certified "good" diamonds. I forget the terminology. For me it had nothing to do with a status piece but a symbol between me and my now husband, I chose my ring and it's quite understated and simple. It sits very nicely on top of my wedding ring now.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

WalMart. That place is fucking everyone over.

I boycott items that have Che Guevara's face plastered on them. It irks me that people are capitalizing off him, and half the people who wear items that have his face on it don't even know what the hell he was on about. (On the other hand, it's amusing to watch two hipsters argue over him in a coffeehouse. Highly, highly amusing.)

And fast food, like McDonald's, KFC, and the like. I just find it gross and it makes me ill.

The Ben and Jerry's in my city. They opened up right next to a locally-owned business (I mean *right* next to them, as in next-door neighbors) and that's plain annoying.

I'm heartbroken that Nike owns Converse now. SRSLY. I need a new pair; mine are getting holes in the toes. :(

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My resolution is to boycott Primark, although I'll admit it's not entirely for ethical reasons...more like their clothes fall apart after three uses, and they show a distinct lack of individuality. But also because of the poor kiddiwinklets in India.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Spikeyfaerie wrote:

Not all diamonds are blood diamonds. My engagement ring is certified "good" diamonds. I forget the terminology. For me it had nothing to do with a status piece but a symbol between me and my now husband, I chose my ring and it's quite understated and simple. It sits very nicely on top of my wedding ring now.

Oh yeah, guess I should have thought of that since I live in the same country that they mine Polar Bear Diamonds in a fairly legitimate way. Yeah, I'll boycott all diamonds except for those that actually tell you where they're from.

"All is not lost; the unconquerable will, and study of revenge,
Immortal hate, and courage never to submit or yield:
And what is else not to be overcome.
That glory never shall his wrath or might extort from me."

-Lucifer, Paradise Los
t

Baby Mook

Date:

fucking fabulous, palestinian here, I have a list of items to boycott, we ad this huge campaign around the UK, going to Tesco and the like giving out flyers and comics about the issue. Hit me up if you're interested, or just want to chat about toast :)

shallow graves for shallow people

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Deb

Regular Crew

Date:

Palm oil. Luckily my boyfriend is the first person who doesn't think I am weird for this. I just don't understand why so many companies use it when it isn't really needed and even if they really did want to use it it is available sustainable. It's just no one does.

Oh Deborah, do you recall?

Regular Crew

Date:

MollyMorphine wrote:

I boycott items that have Che Guevara's face plastered on them. It irks me that people are capitalizing off him, and half the people who wear items that have his face on it don't even know what the hell he was on about.

MrV's mum bought us a towel with his face on because MrV's a commie XD.
I mean...we needed a new towel or two, and it was a nice thought.. I just wish she'd bought it understanding the irony of capitalist merchandise using a communist revolutionary's face.

Pretty much everything's already been said...
Anything that's animal tested or animal derived (medicine and all, unless it's an absolute emergency, but then I'm not paying for it!)
Primark, bottled water, Nestle, Coke, tabloid "newspapers", palm oil (although sometime's I forget to check, since I'm already scouring for any non vegan stuff... I'm getting there!)
Supermarkets where possible ('specially Tesco and the like)
A lot of things, but I feel like I'm actually doing something worthwhile.
x.S.x

Burn down the disco, hang the blessed DJ, because the music that they constantly play, it says nothing to me about my life...

Honoured Mook

Date:

We produce a lot of our own things, vegetables, eggs, meat, clothes, heating and energy source to heat, etc
So theres a lot of things that whilst we are aware of them, we dont come across them eg supermarkets vs small businesses prices.
Also Im allergic to a lot of things, so I have to use products from some of the companies that have been mentioned.

I dont have a problem with the fast food places either. Recently MacDonalds and Burger King have started to change suppliers. In many cases this is the local farmer, which you have probably noticed on the front of the packet in the supermarket or on the leaflet they put on the tray in MacDonalds, the smiley photo of a fine countryman!! Our meat goes to Morrisons and MacDonalds. So that means the farmers are getting fair prices and the meat is being produced more humanly.

I dont mean to go against everones opinions, I do understand that you all have your own reasons to boycott some of the things/companies you've mentioned.

I do, however, boycott:

- Chain coffee shops. I dont think the coffee is anything special. Id rather buy my own fairtrade coffee and make it at home for a fraction of the price
- Bright House. If you havent got the money, you cant buy it. Especially at those interest rates.

Im sure there are others to, I just cant think of them right now!

Lush Guru

Date:

Absolutely YES to Bright House. I mean if your washing machine (essential) breaks then yes, having a credit plan will help you get one straight away and then pay for it over time, BUT a flat screen tv? Not essential. A new Hi-fi? Not essential. Don't buy non-essential stuff that you can't afford!

Regular Crew

Date:

MissBird wrote:

We produce a lot of our own things, vegetables, eggs, meat, clothes, heating and energy source to heat, etc

- Chain coffee shops. I dont think the coffee is anything special. Id rather buy my own fairtrade coffee and make it at home for a fraction of the price

Firstly I want to say I am jealous. I wish I had a source of homegrown veg and eggs. I mean I do when the boy goes home and brings me things back but its not all the time. You can really tell the difference.

And second AGREE! I am not a coffee drinker but I get through a lot of tea. I have bought bags of £4 tea which people think is crazy but then I tell them to think about how much one cup costs in a coffee shop. Yeah. And mine is nicer. If I want to go somewhere for one I always try to choose independent.

Oh! I forgot (the coffee shops reminded me) Eat, Pret etc. Well I do occasionally go to Pret if I have to but that is because I have already been to one before, I have never been to Eat and I won't. They are overpriced and over taking the high street. Seriously no one needs that many sandwiches. The UK needs variety.

Oh Deborah, do you recall?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

i dont boycott any big companys because im just not that kind of person. my mum boycotts nestle. but me and my friend boycott on shop of cost cutter because they have rude staff but thats less of a boycott more of avoiding annoying people!

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

JuniperWoolf wrote:

Apparently, boycott was a real person. He was a dick, so they boycotted him.

Anyway, this being the season of boycotts (or is it "resolutions?") I'm boycotting WalMart. I don't care if it's the only place to get a napkin dispenser at three in the morning, I will resist.

*edit* Oh yeah, and diamonds too. Bloody horrible items of death, and for what? So that you have a status piece to show all your clucking friends? Not me man, if I get married we can tat that ring on our fingers.

-- Edited by JuniperWoolf on Monday 3rd of January 2011 11:34:25 PM

my dad got an engagement tattoo i think its a nice idea as its more perminant! but my mum had a ring.

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Regular Crew

Date:

I boycott mainstream clothing as much as I can, I prefer thrift stores anyways.

I boycott McDonalds because their food is sh*t, and I am sure their animals are not treated the best.

I boycott TV because everything on it, besides select few channels like Discovery, is Sh*t.

I boycott the radio, besides the oldies or indie station when I want to listen to it, because the music is overplayed and it's sh*t.

"You can't wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a club"
Jack London

Regular Crew

Date:

Just Proctor and Gamble right now. Oh, and I'm vegan, so there's a bit right there.

blog - personal tumblr - vampire tumblr

Bee

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I boycott Macdonalds, Supermac's, KFC, Burger King, any of the fast food places cos their food is nasty, the places themselves have an incredibly depressing, resigned atmosphere, and I'm well aware of how corrupt they all are.
Nike, Adidas, any sports labels and any designer label. If I was to buy designer I'd only buy clothes that had been made by skilled tailors or whatever, who were being paid for the quality of their work, not from some sweat shop.
I'm kinda boycotting Burt's Bees now too, seems as they sold something like 80% of the company to Clorox, a company who, ironically, makes bleaches and chemical cleaning agents :(
I don't buy Coke and I rarely buy Nestlé products, though I end up feeling guilty if I find myself nibbling on some Smarties...

Bee.gif

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I don't eat chicken. They're one of the most abused animals in factory farms, and one person giving up chicken will save more individuals than giving up something like beef (just because chickens are smaller). Ideally I would boycott any meat (or animal products) that I couldn't prove was not abused, but I suppose I'm working toward that gradually. I also boycott McDonalds and try to avoid Walmart...

Baby Mook

Date:

I boycott the hell out of bottled water! I also boycott most fast food chains, but I always bring my own bento from home so I don't waste money eating out. I'm also in the middle of phasing out Nestle products, but it's bloody hard!

Sadly, I do still use mostly Lancome and MAC products, but about 90% of my makeup collection is by them. So although I no longer purchase most of their products (I do slip up, I will admit) I still get stuck using them pretty much everyday.

If you can't take a joke, don't go around acting like one.

Regular Crew

Date:

Here in Australia it's very hard to boycott anything! Aussie made costs so much more and well... I don't have money! I'd love to boycott Nestlé however they seem to own a lot of my diet over here, same with Coca Cola. If I were buying petrol I wouldn't go for shell cos of that whole some ever in Africa mess that I cant remember the details of... But basically they didn't clean up too good! I'd actually rather not buy fuel at all or use a car if there was some fudging public transport!!! My Dad boycotts all products from Non-European countries when he can. He and Mum shop at ALDI when there's no cheap Aussie made in Coles, Woolies, etc. I can't let him see it when I but Tim Tams cos Arnotts has gone Arabic! Some of them are made in Australia but the cheaper ones usually have the info written again in Arabic :/ Aussie my bum :( They did a study on it on A Current Affair. The Aussie ones tasted better and were bigger! I feel ripped off, paying for brand but being given foreign crapola... But when they're 2 for 4AUD, who can resist? If I really looked into everything I bought and had the power to, I bet I'd boycott everything! So many of our Aussie icons are being sold off... Maggi noodles are now made in China or Taiwan and to be honest, they now taste like shite :( I loved Maggi as a kid :/ Even Vegemite isn't our anymore, I don't think... Sold it to the yanks at Kraft I think? (No offense meant Americans, you guys are great but Vegemite was an icon now ts not even properly owned by our nation, and "yanks" is slang, not an insult :P) From some of the posts I've read I might as well give up, I'm too poor to boycott anything unethical... XD

Honoured Mook

Date:

The Daily Mail. It's not only full of lies but it incites racial hatred and scare mongers people into believing that pedophiles are everywhere! Corsets UK. The corsets are poorly made and HURT! No corset should hurt that much if its made correctly. Also the only way they could get away with those prices is with some form of wholesale from possible sweatshops. Mass produced gothic clothing, this is mainly due to quality problems. Nessicary Evil and phaze are the only ones I'll buy from. Blue Banana. A clothing shop that offers body piercing? Um no that's not right. Claires accessories as well. They steal independent jewellery makers designs and then mass produce them. Along with doing ear piercing. Disgusting. I always check for animal testing before buying cosmetics. I won't use Rimmel or Maybelline. Max Factor is because of their slogan "The Make up of make up artists" I'm sorry but I don't know a single make up artist that has Max Factor in their kit!

Baby Mook

Date:

SienneDeaddoll wrote:

The Daily Mail. It's not only full of lies but it incites racial hatred and scare mongers people into believing that pedophiles are everywhere! Corsets UK. The corsets are poorly made and HURT! No corset should hurt that much if its made correctly. Also the only way they could get away with those prices is with some form of wholesale from possible sweatshops. Mass produced gothic clothing, this is mainly due to quality problems. Nessicary Evil and phaze are the only ones I'll buy from. Blue Banana. A clothing shop that offers body piercing? Um no that's not right. Claires accessories as well. They steal independent jewellery makers designs and then mass produce them. Along with doing ear piercing. Disgusting. I always check for animal testing before buying cosmetics. I won't use Rimmel or Maybelline. Max Factor is because of their slogan "The Make up of make up artists" I'm sorry but I don't know a single make up artist that has Max Factor in their kit!

I second the Daily Mail thing. I won't read any conservative papers because I don't like supporting David Cameron, and I won't even support people who support him. That and it's full of rubbish aimed at semi-literate working class idiots convinced that a half formed opinion suggested to them by a bunch of right wing, eton educated, greasy businessmen makes them educated, well informed and upper class.

I also won't use cosmetics tested on animals and I refuse to even step foot in Claires Accessories because their stuff is poorly made, cheap looking, mass produced, and they steal designs.

I didn't know about The Body Shop thing before now, I guess I'll have to stop shopping there. I don't go that often anyway. And I'm glad you said that about Corsets UK, I was just about to buy from them.

-- Edited by LikeABulletThroughAFlockOfDoves on Saturday 28th of April 2012 12:17:46 PM

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us