Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Boycotts, what ya got?

MookyDuchess

Date:
RE: Boycotts, what ya got?

Well, ok, if you don't mind babies in the third world being under nourished, then that's fine. :)

Also, not sure if I mentioned this before, but, a few years back, a company was suing the Ethiopian government for $30million, due to their policy of giving back farm land illegally sold under the last regime, back to the impoverished farmers. Nestle took over that company around 2004 and decided to continue with the legal action. After the public outcry that followed, they agreed an out of court settlement with the Ethipoians, for about $3million instead.

I love a good, ethical company.

See my pictures at this site.
her

Honoured Mook

Date:

Oh god, bye bye smarties then!
I spent yesterday in a major blue funk, unless I grow all my own food there's no way to live completely ethically. Everything's grown, mostly with the help of pesticides or genetic modification, flown, with big polluting planes gobbling up little birds in the fans, refrigerated, at one time with CFC's so lovely ozone destruction from then, someone had the bright idea of swapping a clhlorine for a hydrogen of them things which has done fuck all in terms of eliminating ozone reduction from aerosols, which have potential links to breast cancer anyway, and if you go to http://www.funkbubble.co.uk/dirtytruth, all that may or may not be true, because science has to reflect the wants of the person paying for it, and you can prove anything with statistics, and ead to people to conclusion with correlations which could be caused by anything. Argh, the world's so fucked.

I'm an expresso-some people think I'm bitter, but I'm just intense

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

All they did was sell baby formula. I know there isn't a lot of education for mothers (or people in general) in third world countries, but I doubt they were forced to not breastfeed their babies. It's up to governments to make appropriate decisions about health, and what products will be provided in hospitals (or anywhere). Yes, it would be nice if all the big companies would just help everyone in the world, but they have businesses to run. Perhaps the sale of baby formula discourages breastfeeding in third world countries, but it does the same thing in developed countries - it's a product, just like any other.

I know the law suit thing was a bad decision, but I'm sure it was fairly complex. They didn't go through with the case, which surely stands for something.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I think the difference, and issue, is in other companies the mother can afford to use formula milk. In other countries there is more access to clean water. That said, in other countries there tend to be less cases of HIV, so it is beneficial in these cases for the mother not to breastfeed. But not every mother in Ethiopia will have the virus.
It's just slightly dodgy practice to encourage the mother to use your product for free long enough for milk production to slow andd then take it away.

I'm an expresso-some people think I'm bitter, but I'm just intense

Honoured Mook

Date:

Wow. I feel like a horrible materialist now, for being so ignorant about the circles of doom in the business world!
However, I am trying to boycott Nestle (but it's tricky!) after hearing about that awful milk formula scam in my General Studies class at college.

On a local level, my group all boycott a local nightclub that sent out a load of promotional material proclaiming that 'No big girls' are allowed in their club. That just disgusted me.

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat." Rebecca West

Come and stalk me on my blog, or on Twitter.

Lush Guru

Date:

I boycott Nestle with regret because I really love Kitkats.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Alka wrote:

I boycott Nestle with regret because I really love Kitkats.

Tesco do a copycat version, I'm sure your local supermarket will do too.
Hope you find them as tasty.

Lush Guru

Date:

Yeah Sainsbury's 'Double Take' is a pretty good imitation, but they don't do a four-fingered OR a chunky version.

Plus four-fingered versions are 233 calories and who needs THAT in their lives.

Regular Crew

Date:

good on ya! I boycott Starbucks since it's basically feeding the whole shizzam in Palestine

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm going to make more effort to think carefully about what I'm buying. So I'm going to give up Nestle and Coca Cola if I can, although I'm wondering I'll drink on night's out now! I'm usually a something and coke kind of girl...

Just out of interest, where does everybody stand on other brands of fizzy drink, like Pepsi, or that American Cola stuff?

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat." Rebecca West

Come and stalk me on my blog, or on Twitter.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

After reading this I'm going to work on cutting out Nestle in my life :)

I thing I would encourage you all to do is stop buying wool as most of it is sourced from Australia and have lacks care standards for the sheep with cruel practices such as cutting of chunks of the hind to curb fly strike.

But I believe M&S is in talks with the farming companies and is boycotting the ones that refuse to conform to their polices on welfare of sheep.
Plus M&S stuff is always good quality so you know it aint gonna look all stretched out after a few washes ^___^

Squatting under city streets, the garbage can be good to eat.Struggling to rise above,smash the hate and fall in love.Our lives are full of petty scars, so fuck up like the hippistars.Fill it with the illest times,sex and booze and petty crimes.

Date:

^This is known as "mulesing". While I do think it's disgusting, I also have to say that there are many sheep farmers relying on international business who do NOT mules, and some farmers who do use pain relief. It is a terrible practice, but the impracticalities of constantly shearing the rear-ends of several thousand sheep on the one property are enormous. I believe more farmers are also looking into breeding sheep without the extra folds of skin on their bums.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I know that's why I believe we should all look into souring our wool correctly.

Squatting under city streets, the garbage can be good to eat.Struggling to rise above,smash the hate and fall in love.Our lives are full of petty scars, so fuck up like the hippistars.Fill it with the illest times,sex and booze and petty crimes.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Alka wrote:

Yeah Sainsbury's 'Double Take' is a pretty good imitation, but they don't do a four-fingered OR a chunky version.

Plus four-fingered versions are 233 calories and who needs THAT in their lives.

I had them years ago so I don't know if they still make & sell them, but the Co-Op version of KitKats = 100 times more delicious than the original. I ate so many on that particular adventure.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I've not bought nestle products for about 5 years now, and when i'm home my parents won't buy nestle products for fear of setting me off.

As for nike, I don't buy sports wear, so I don't bother with that.
General clothing, I will admit to buying high street brands, but only because I own very little clothing. I spend very little and tend to accumulate it over the years.

I'm tempted to start boycotting coke. It seems like a daunting task and something i've been considering for a good few years, although i've never taken the plunge 'cuz i'm too much of a pussy and drink coke far too often for my own good...

Help me win a van!
http://winacamper.fatface.com/safiyyah

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Lush Guru

Date:

As far as I'm aware Pepsi and own-brand versions of Coke are all fine.

I mean apart from all the sugar and sweeteners that may or may not rot your teeth and kill you. :)

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

^^ I know, but it never seems to taste as good as the real thing!

Help me win a van!
http://winacamper.fatface.com/safiyyah

Lush Guru

Date:

I don't drink coke anyway because I don't like the taste so I dunno. I suspect you'll be able to get used to it though.

Regular Crew

Date:

This is an excellent thread, kudos to those who started it!

All of mine have already been mentioned so need for explanations, I'll just list them:

Coca Cola
Proctor and Gamble
Glaxo Smith Kline (plus the majority of pharmaceutical companies)
Nestle
Unilever
Bottled water - all bottled water ever ever ever!!!!
Tesco

I'm pretty sure the list is longer than that! I'll add more as I think of them!

~ love Shelli Le Fay ~

"I can't concentrate when you're about. You're getting in my head, rummaging about, putting on fancy dress shows!" - Mighty Boosh radio show

Wordpress blog: www.mermaidinfishbowl.wordpress.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/ShelliLeFay

Baby Mook

Date:

I boycott Starbucks, The Gap, the mall, diamonds, any restaruant that serves primarily meat or trans fatty concoctions and American Eagle. All for obvious reasons.

Regular Crew

Date:

I boycott Wal-Mart, because of how little benefits their employees get and how their workers are treated. Although it's difficult to buy *everything* local, I try to do that as opposed to giving more money to the corporately owned places.

Regular Crew

Date:

proctor and gamble is terrible for animal testing...
Neste
Coka Cola
all major fast food chains
Nike...
all that jazz

Honoured Mook

Date:

Does anyone have any good links that give reasons to boycott Coca-cola? And the associated companys, etc.?

Lush Guru

Date:

For those who boycott Nestle, I have a link somewhere which I'll dig out. So many companies benefit financially from Nestle so if you're boycotting Nestle it might be an idea to cut out these companies.

These include:
L'Oreal which means The Body Shop.
Garnier
Maybelline

I'm having an issue with Procter and Gamble and GSK at the moment, but I need more evidence for or against them. So far I'm doing alright because I'm sticking to own-brand products more than ever.

Baby Mook

Date:

I try to boycott (and try is the operative word here) all supermarkets and most big businesses. I boycott supermarkets because they kill smaller businesses and have an unfair monopoly on the market, put enormous pressure on the producers they buy from, create 'food deserts' in deprived areas, crap up the atmosphere by flying in most of their produce from halfway around the world, and encourage mindless consumption. Not to mention the fact that the story behind all their everyday products is mind-bogglingly unethical. I boycott big businesses because I prefer to support smaller ones. I try and encourage my parents to buy locally produced, organic or fair trade groceries. It's impossible to do this 100%, but I do what I can. After reading Felicity Lawrence's 'Not On the Label' I never want to step inside a supermarket again.

I also boycott trashy newspapers like The Sun and The Daily Mail because they're full of rubbish stories about dead babies and the X factor - not going to waste my 30p on that, thank you very much.

Regular Crew

Date:

Apparently Pets At Home...

I'll admit that's where my lovely faux dog bunnies came from, but on researching where they get their rabbits from...

*I emailed through the website and was advised to ask my local store as to the provenance of their animals?!?!
*a quick Google search shows some awful stories

I'm still a little on the fence because my experience with them was great but... there's no smoke without fire.

DiscountTiarasUK.com Beautiful Tiaras. Low Prices. Without Compromise.

Date:

Do places like the RSPCA (or equivalent) have rabbits? Whenever we've had a new pet (with the exception of our newest dog, who was free from a station as he "wouldn't be a working dog"), we've got them from a shelter. Sometimes the older animals may have behavioural problems, but on the whole I think it's better to give one a second chance. Cheaper, too - a small fee and the cost of de-sexing.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Kraft foods who test on animals have recently taken over Cadbury no

MookyDuchess

Date:

That'd be Cadburys who used to be known as Cadburys Schweppes.

Distant relations to Coca Cola Schweppes...

See my pictures at this site.

Lush Guru

Date:

They're killing orangutans anyway.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us