Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Boycotts, what ya got?


Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 150
Date:
Boycotts, what ya got?


Inspired by the Nike spamming over on the Style threads, I was wondering if you boycott anything and why you do? What got you started?

Just somewhere to educate other people I suppose and discuss alternatives.

__________________
"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute." ~ Rebecca West


Dame of Mooky (mod)

Status: Offline
Posts: 1645
Date:

I boycott Nike, majorly!
My Mum works in a sportswear shop, and when I go in to help/see her I'll arrange the clothes and do whatever she asks, however, i point blank refuse to even touch the Nike stuff. I've never bought Nike, never owned Nike and seeing it makes me feel sick.

__________________
This is my dream
and
I'll decide where it goes from here.


(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)


Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 498
Date:

I won't buy stuff from Israel.

__________________
Always keep a party between your ears


High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 624
Date:

I boycott:

- Nike[and such others like Adidas] because of the whole child labour plus they are ugly shoes.
- Primark because I fucking hate that shop my mother got me a top and pj's from that horrible shop :( plus it's like ''EVERYONE'' goes there and i don't condem with ''everyone''.
- The Sun because it is just full of lies [like anything else in this world].
- News of the world because I hate how they literally and blantly slag everything and everyone.
- JD a sport shop that I shall never buy anything from.
-Most meats like beef,pork,lamb and etc but I feel the only meat I can actually eat is chicken and smoked turkey.
-Fast food places like Mcdonalds or KFC because their food makes me sick and I hate how they put in the food it sickens me. If I am ever in that place I can only get a Mcflurry or maybe a chicken sandwhich and that is all.

I think I boycott more things but I will have to think about it later...




__________________

Short snippet of my song: Bees Knees

Your eyes they still wail out conflict
But you still think your the bees knees
You keep choking on your vulgar slurs
But in the end it's a comforting pity...
You still like to imagine that you are the bees knees.



High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 624
Date:

I also boycott:

-Any type of gold jewelry because I hate all the hard work that goes into making them plus I think gold jewelry looks tacky. Seriously thininking about boycotting diamonds too[ actually I don't even wear diamonds].
-Burberry [*gag*] because it is one of those mainstream brands which the desingers are all the names under the sun.


__________________

Short snippet of my song: Bees Knees

Your eyes they still wail out conflict
But you still think your the bees knees
You keep choking on your vulgar slurs
But in the end it's a comforting pity...
You still like to imagine that you are the bees knees.



MookyDuchess

Status: Offline
Posts: 3327
Date:

My two biggies are Coca Cola and Nestle.

If I smoked I would boycott Marlboro (Phillip Morris) because Thatcher was once on their board of directors and they continue to support the Republican Party.

I boycott Nike and Adidas if I bought sportswear.

The most difficult thing about boycotts is that because the companies are multinationals, they can be behind hundreds of other products. I once tried to buy a drink in a newsagent's that wasn't part of the Coca Cola Corp and it was nigh on impossible. (Coca Cola also own Schweppes, who are part of the same company as Cadburys. So, to boycott Coke, means I have to boycott Cadburys....)

The internet makes things so much easier...

__________________
Advertising Space
My words are in this Comic Relief book.
You can buy my t-shirts at this site.
See my pictures at this site.


MookyDuchess

Status: Offline
Posts: 3327
Date:

I'd like to double the boycott on Nike, because they seem to think that spamming an alternative forum seems to be a good way to advertise they're frankly piss poor sportswear.

And what makes it worse, is that they are doing it from China! China! When the poor little mites in the sweatshops aren't busy enough stitching leather shoes until their fingers bleed, but in their spare time, they're forced to spam forums.

__________________
Advertising Space
My words are in this Comic Relief book.
You can buy my t-shirts at this site.
See my pictures at this site.


Seasoned Mookster

Status: Offline
Posts: 55
Date:

Hendrixsa wrote:

I also boycott:

-Any type of gold jewelry because I hate all the hard work that goes into making them plus I think gold jewelry looks tacky. Seriously thininking about boycotting diamonds too[ actually I don't even wear diamonds].
-Burberry [*gag*] because it is one of those mainstream brands which the desingers are all the names under the sun.




As a jeweller I would have to dissagree with you aww I enjoy my hard work and as long as it's as ethically obtained as it gets then I'm *ok* with it. As far as not liking gold, silver or white gold much nicer.... but anyway...

I mainly boycott Coca cola for poisoning rivers and Nestle for pretty much killing children. I boycott starbucks and most fast food restaurants for general evilness. There are probably more if I thought about it but they are the main ones.

 



__________________
Cuimhnich air na daoine bho ’n d’ thàinig thu


Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Status: Offline
Posts: 2641
Date:

Any make-up or beauty products that doesn't clearly state that they are against animal testing. I'm perfectly happy getting all my stuff from Body Shop, Manic Panic and Urban Decay. Plus Gosh. Gosh don't clearly state that they are a against animal testing on their websites, but I sent them a mail and they answered that they didn't. Since I really like some of their stuff, I have given them the benefit of doubt.

I'd boycott McDonalds, because they are clearly evil, but honestly, the place is so horrid I never go there if I can avoid it anyway.

Copy protected cd's.

I also boycott any firm that harm my tender soul with obnoxious commercials. When I remember that they have annoyed me.

__________________

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris



Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 176
Date:

I refuse to drink bottled water, and anyone that drinks it in front of me, i go home and Facebook them links about how wasteful it is. NEVER DRINK BOTTLED WATER unless you are in a desert about to die of thirst far from civilization and it appears before you and it is your only choice. Only then is it excusable.
That is my boycott.

My dad's is he tries his best to only buy American-made clothing because then not only is it not made in a third world countries, it also doesn't waste as much fuel being shipped (as we live in america). When there is not American alternative he will pretty much buy any first-world country made item, or a fair-trade item.
Besides, it's ridiculously unfair that the company has such a markup on everything! I mean, they make shoes for two dollars and sell them for sixty!!!!!! ugh.


__________________
And then you laugh and the kids laugh and the dog laughs and I die a little inside. - Stewie


MookyDuchess

Status: Offline
Posts: 3327
Date:

Yes, Fair Trade. Don't boycott them, seek out goods that have the Fair Trade mark on them. Buy them and enjoy them.

__________________
Advertising Space
My words are in this Comic Relief book.
You can buy my t-shirts at this site.
See my pictures at this site.


Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 150
Date:

I refuse to buy anything that has been produced or distributed by Nestle. I don't really wear sports clothing so that doesn't really apply. I still wouldn't buy Nike even if I did wear things like that though.

__________________
"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute." ~ Rebecca West


Lush Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3713
Date:

Irilar wrote:

Any make-up or beauty products that doesn't clearly state that they are against animal testing. I'm perfectly happy getting all my stuff from Body Shop, Manic Panic and Urban Decay. Plus Gosh. Gosh don't clearly state that they are a against animal testing on their websites, but I sent them a mail and they answered that they didn't. Since I really like some of their stuff, I have given them the benefit of doubt.




Gosh are a Superdrug own-brand, and Superdrug is a company against animal testing, so no own brand products are tested on animals. Gosh is safe. :)

If I wore sports shite, I would boycott Nike. Nike own or owned Converse as well by the way, so I've never bought them (plus they're really uncomfortable).
As a family we boycott Coca Cola. Kitty Fire is right though, it IS difficult. They own the entire world. There are a lot of things like that though, Nestle owns Rowntrees (I think?) which makes Fruit Pastilles, etc etc. Pants.

I also boycott ugly shoes. But that's just for me.

I forgot my biggest boycott! The Daily Mail, or Mail on Sunday. I will never, EVER buy or read one and try and remove them wherever possible.



-- Edited by Alka at 11:39, 2009-03-02

__________________
Worse things happen at sea


Honoured Mook

Status: Offline
Posts: 176
Date:

e?cakeordeath wrote:

I refuse to buy anything that has been produced or distributed by Nestle. I don't really wear sports clothing so that doesn't really apply. I still wouldn't buy Nike even if I did wear things like that though.



how come? what's wrong with nestle?confuse

 



__________________
And then you laugh and the kids laugh and the dog laughs and I die a little inside. - Stewie


High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 852
Date:

I am boycotting Primark as of....







... now.

__________________

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.



High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 624
Date:

^Good on you!smile

__________________

Short snippet of my song: Bees Knees

Your eyes they still wail out conflict
But you still think your the bees knees
You keep choking on your vulgar slurs
But in the end it's a comforting pity...
You still like to imagine that you are the bees knees.



High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 624
Date:

myforeverforever wrote:

e?cakeordeath wrote:

I refuse to buy anything that has been produced or distributed by Nestle. I don't really wear sports clothing so that doesn't really apply. I still wouldn't buy Nike even if I did wear things like that though.



how come? what's wrong with nestle?confuse

 



I have the answer for that but I am going to wait for Kitty Fire to come and do the honors of says how nestle is wrong...

 



__________________

Short snippet of my song: Bees Knees

Your eyes they still wail out conflict
But you still think your the bees knees
You keep choking on your vulgar slurs
But in the end it's a comforting pity...
You still like to imagine that you are the bees knees.



MookyDuchess

Status: Offline
Posts: 3327
Date:

Yes, Nestle own Rowntree...

And I don't need to explain why you should boycott Nestle. I posted a link which explained it all in my first post in this thread, just click on the word Nestle in there and it's all laid out.

But, for those too lazy to scroll up, here's the link again.

And for those too lazy (damn you Gen MTV) a quick summary of the big bad is they give baby milk formula to hospitals in the third world, so mothers stop breast feeding their kids. Which is all well and good, until the poor mothers leave hospital and can't breast feed, nor afford the extortionate price Nestle charges. (Oh, and for further good measure, they took over a company that was suing the Ethiopian government for $3 million, in a dispute over land rights, and they continued the lawsuit. Once they heard the public outcry, they settled out of court for $300,000...)

__________________
Advertising Space
My words are in this Comic Relief book.
You can buy my t-shirts at this site.
See my pictures at this site.


Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2919
Date:

Bad business, bad business, bad business BAD BUSINESS.

I try my best to boycott Coca Cola and Nestle, but as you say it's difficult. Easier with Nestle though.

I don't buy from Primark anymore, I just wish I had more money to spend in better places!

__________________

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

 

Silly Whore.



Seasoned Mookster

Status: Offline
Posts: 74
Date:

Main names that have fingers in a lot of pies:
Unilever (Pot noodles, PG tips, Dove, Vaseline)
P&G (Easy to give up becuase they're shit brands like Always and Head & Shoulders, but they also make Pringles and Duracell batteries.)
GSK (Ribena, a lot of medical things)
Nestle (And so The Body Shop and a lot of cereal brands, like Shredded Wheat)
Coke (So no Bacardi or Sprite)

Basically any company/charity that tests on animals I try and avoid. (So that includes no money to cancer research
I try not to use medicines too, apart from my birth control pill, which I'm contemplating stopping, cos it's not like I'm having that much sex anyway, and maybe I can live with 'Oh surprise, my period has started!'.

I still shop in supermarkets, I don't think I'm in a position to avoid them just yet, when I am I will shop locally or in Co-op, which I am impressed with becuase of its BUAV approval, and want to encourage it in that direction.

Um, I wouldn't shop in Primark or H&M, I don't like TopShop, Next and places like that, try to buy nicey nice everyone is happy clothes when I need to buy clothes, but fairtrade stuff is kinda...boring and ugly. Charity Shop raids haven't gone that well in the past.


__________________


High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 614
Date:

Converse since 2003

Because of the exploitation of Kurt Cobain's name, quotes, etc that is making money for that damn woman... you know the one... Courtney Love! That's it.

Also because they are now owned by Nike and made differently and in sweatshops in China.

Damn Nike cashing in on countercultural ideals...

__________________
Just waiting on my muse- I think she got caught in rush hour on Hwy. 231.

Here is my blog.


MookyDuchess

Status: Offline
Posts: 3327
Date:

Gosh darn it!

Guess that means only second hand Converse from now on, ho-hum, at least they'll be cheaper.

-- Edited by Kitty Fire at 22:05, 2009-03-02

__________________
Advertising Space
My words are in this Comic Relief book.
You can buy my t-shirts at this site.
See my pictures at this site.


Mookish Deity Most High

Status: Offline
Posts: 2919
Date:

Argh, and mine are starting to fall apart.
Grrr. Stupid Nike.

__________________

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

 

Silly Whore.



Lush Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3713
Date:

L'oreal own The Body Shop not Nestle don't they?

__________________
Worse things happen at sea


MookyDuchess

Status: Offline
Posts: 3327
Date:

Yeah L'Oreal own the Body Shop.

But Nestle (new link!) own about 50% of L'Oreal...

This website seems like a really good resource.


__________________
Advertising Space
My words are in this Comic Relief book.
You can buy my t-shirts at this site.
See my pictures at this site.


MookyDuchess

Status: Offline
Posts: 3327
Date:

And Corporate Watch is another incredibly useful website.

__________________
Advertising Space
My words are in this Comic Relief book.
You can buy my t-shirts at this site.
See my pictures at this site.


High Mookish Shaman

Status: Offline
Posts: 624
Date:

Calliope wrote:

Converse since 2003

Also because they are now owned by Nike and made differently and in sweatshops in China.

Damn Nike cashing in on countercultural ideals...



Ergh. Stupid Nike and I was just about to buy those silver Converses I have always wanted...Oh well Kitty is right looks like it's second hand Converses from now on.

 



__________________

Short snippet of my song: Bees Knees

Your eyes they still wail out conflict
But you still think your the bees knees
You keep choking on your vulgar slurs
But in the end it's a comforting pity...
You still like to imagine that you are the bees knees.



Lush Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3713
Date:

Kitty Fire wrote:

Yeah L'Oreal own the Body Shop.

But Nestle (new link!) own about 50% of L'Oreal...


This website seems like a really good resource.

 




Gosh it's all very circular.

Silly businesses. No wonder small businesses are fucked.



__________________
Worse things happen at sea


MookyDuchess

Status: Offline
Posts: 3327
Date:

This is the sort of horrifying realisation I had around the early nineties...

__________________
Advertising Space
My words are in this Comic Relief book.
You can buy my t-shirts at this site.
See my pictures at this site.


Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Status: Offline
Posts: 2641
Date:

Well, I still buy from Body Shop. Who knows, maybe if more people did the owners would think that the customers want products to be more morally produced and act accordingly.

Big companies are not bad because they are big. They are bad because they are greedy fucks that only care about profit and don't give a shit about morals.
That's why it's so important to not only boycott stuff, but actively choose items with faitrade and/or organic brand. Because if that is what people want, that is what they are going to provide.

Another place I boycott: Lidl. A lot of the food there is transported from far away even when there is local produce available.
And everything I've ever tasted from there is horrible.
And I always get a paranoid feeling that I'm being poisoned.
And they treat their workers badly, at least in Germany.
Yeah, they are cheap but do anyone think that it is because they take less profit themselves?
When I have little money I rather cut down on other expenses and eat organically produced porridge and potatoes.

__________________

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

1 2 36  >  Last»  | Page of 6  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us