Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: One mans trash is anothers treasure: a thread on dumpster diving

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
RE: One mans trash is anothers treasure: a thread on dumpster diving

I've always had this superstition that objects feel happier when they're being used. But then again maybe sometimes they're happy to be in retirement once they've gotten worn out.
I think in general hats with feathers in them are vain enough to keep going even after they've gotten old... they like compliments too much.

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

Grr, my work schedule was all mucked up last week, so I didn't have time to go dumpster diving while everyone was throwing out stuff they didn't want to pack to take home for the summer.

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Just a quick thought... I'm a bit behind on reading mooky articles, so I spent ages yesterday catching up, and I read about the festival thing.

I'm going to Download this year and I know how lazy people can be, so I'm definitely going to go and scavenge whatever I like the look of after people have left!

Sounds like a good plan to earn some cash ££££££

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

Date:

I'm scared that some security guard will come and tell me to get out of the bin. Which is not really that scary, logically, but... I don't like being told off. Also, scared of needles/broken sharp stuff and killer possums.

But on the other hand, free stuff.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I personally haven't saved anything (yet), but my mom has beautiful furniture that was going to be tossed. We have an old leather couch, that I believe is about 40 years old. We also have several wing back chairs from the 50's that we had recovered in funky fabric. They look wonderful... I've laid claim to most of the old furniture, so my sister is like "wtf?"

I live in town, and on my own now.. so I'll be dumpster diving more often.

Edited to fix my terrible spelling...

-- Edited by Candace on Friday 1st of May 2009 05:50:31 PM

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Just a note: If anyone's grossed out or worried by any possible health and safety hazards from their local dumpsters reused items are available for free online . Craigslist has a free section and Yahoo hosts a community called Freecycle with chapters in many different cities.
Other options of course include thrift shops, yard sales and trading amongst friends and family.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My step dad gets things from his workplace :)

A palm tree that was chucked in a skip because they hadn't bothered to dig holes big enough for them and a couple had started to go a bit dead looking. It's now nursed back to good health in our back garden. Also half the plants in our yard are rescued in similar ways.

A huuuuge mirror that covers almost the whole wall of out bathroom. It was from the gym which they were tearing apart for a sports bar.

The tiles in our bathroom.

A giant Coca Cola bottle which is now a cool and unusual storage solution for my brothers room.

A big wooden pretend guitar that used to belong to a clown is now hanging on my brothers wall.

2 bikes left by a skip because they were broken. They were easily fixed and sold on for loadsa monies :D

An obscene amount of valuable timber. It's all been made into furniture in our house and garden.

A really expensive mattress.

A giant wooden pencil that's about 4 foot tall.

Almost a dog, but we gave it to someone else instead.

And much much more. There's something cool every couple of months. The company he works for is SO wasteful and he HATES any waste. He even eats my brother and I's left overs for his lunch the next day XD

Lush Guru

Date:

You just have a house full of giant things then?! AWESOME.

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

Fiend wrote:

I'm scared that some security guard will come and tell me to get out of the bin.

Now, I'm not going to say this will work or anything, because... well. I think you know the answer to that.

But you could always look them calmly in the eye and tell them to get in it.

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Date:

Oh, you ;)

I could also do the old "oh, I was just... looking for my watch".

Or, ya know, just agree and walk away.

Date:

I just rescued a little white end table and TV today. The TV doesn't work, but I can sell that for parts. I'm keeping the table, and I'm trying to decide how I want to refurbish it.

I'll post pictures once I figure it out and actually complete it. :)

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Lush Guru

Date:

At the festival I went to, we scavenged a big ass tent, a cool box, a roll mat, a mess tin, and a bunch of tent pegs.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Alka wrote:

You just have a house full of giant things then?! AWESOME.

Thinking about it, yeah... XD

Regular Crew

Date:

I just skipped HAIR dye...La riche. directions green and two shade of blue!!!!!!!!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

^^^^
Dam it I'm gonna go and get down all the hair dressers bins in my town!

Squatting under city streets, the garbage can be good to eat.Struggling to rise above,smash the hate and fall in love.Our lives are full of petty scars, so fuck up like the hippistars.Fill it with the illest times,sex and booze and petty crimes.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Baby Mook

Date:

I probably go through trash and junk stores more than I should (probably because my mother collects folk art and such things.) The best things I've every found are...

A Batman action figure from the late 80's
(in a trash filled creek bed)

A big brass key
(in a gutter)

A set of pocket English-Latin dictionaries
(in an old classroom)

A perfume bottle shaped like a unicorn
(I can't really remember where)

Baby Mook

Date:

Brand new pleather boots. Just had to replace the laces with red lace and they were divine. Thrift store finds would include a great vintage type writer (1940s-50s), 70s disco pants, leopard print knee length jacket and 100 gallon aquarium.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I grew up very near an area full of offices. We would find some really great stuff.

Office chairs (still working)
6 Disc CD changer (Needed a small fix and keep in mind this was the late 90's...CD players were pretty new)
A whole computer desk in great shape (The company had gone bankrupt)
Boxes full of pens
Boxes full of POGs (A pog company in the 90's)

We also have a wholesale flowermart here too. We still dumpster dive there. Since the wholesale people sell to retailers, when the flowers are a couple days old they are no good for selling anymore. They trash TONS of lovely cut flowers that still look and smell amazing. Many a bouquet is acquired this way.

Regular Crew

Date:

My next door neighbours threw a load of crap out before they moved a few months ago, including a violin case, in perfect condition, just inexplicably covered in white fur on the inside (perhaps a cat had been sleeping in it?). I took it as a sign from the universe to start playing my fiddle again, which I had neglected for 4 years, although days before the find I had been searching Ebay for a new case as my old one was broken. So I started lessons again and I'm hooked for life now! Spooky, huh? Thank you for your wise interventions, universe!

~ love Shelli Le Fay ~

"I can't concentrate when you're about. You're getting in my head, rummaging about, putting on fancy dress shows!" - Mighty Boosh radio show

Wordpress blog: www.mermaidinfishbowl.wordpress.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/ShelliLeFay

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

You know, this makes me wonder.....what are the trash laws in other countries?

In the US, once someone throws something out and it's on the curb for trash pick-up they have ceased their ownership of it. So, going through someone's trash is perfectly legal.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Just found a She-Ra! figurine at a thrift shop. She comes with three sets of costumes and a comic. He- Man is missing though, maybe he'll turn up later:)

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

Fiend wrote:

I'm scared that some security guard will come and tell me to get out of the bin.

Nah, they wont. My Mum went and got an inflatable beer cooler out the bin at a festival, i's quite...um...cool.

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

Honoured Mook

Date:

I get a lot of stuff from abandoned buildings. I go out to photograph them and come back with cool stuff.
Namely an industrial mincer, a bike, and a mannequin.
I also like our beach. It has lots of beach huts and if we have good stormy weather I go down and raid what's left in the wreckage :D

www.tabifarrowphotography.vpweb.co.uk

Resident Disability Rights Advisor :)

Tumblr

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

When I was younger, if we ever went to the dump, I'd sometimes salvage toys and such smile

PandaPrincess~!

Facebook :)

Tumblr :)

Etsy :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The last day of school is a good day to get magnets and bits for your locker haha. We always have a massive locker cleanout and the bins are full of stuff like that :P

Facebook: Personal | Public

ModelMayhem

Tumblr

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

My parents were expert dumpster divers when I was little. They got a bag of 50 t-shirts out of the back of a T-shirt factory. They lasted me from the age of 4, until 14. I tye dyed some, and appliqued some and my mum altered them, etc etc.

My dad found a wardrobe for me in a skip, and made it look antique...

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Television
Computer screen
Nearly all of my clothing
Brand new Ed Hardy bag
Coach bag (real coach)
and much much more that I cannot list
My home is near fully fashioned by garbage furniture and accessories
tis proud

and cute to boot

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Dumpster diving

I've noticed lately on Mooky there has been quite a few mentions of dumpster diving, so I thought I would start this thread.

This thread can be for arranging Mooky dumpster dives, for posting any resources or useful locations, and so on. In fact, I am a complete noob to the concept of dumpster diving, so if anybody has any resources please do post em. I would love to know more about dumpster diving, and hopefully some day actually do it 

:)

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Honoured Mook

Date:

Awesome!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

There's actually already a dumpster diving thread with quite a lot of posts, but it's quite old. Maybe these should be merged?

edit: just for information, because it really is OLD.

-- Edited by tammycuteness on Friday 15th of March 2013 01:47:06 PM

Liv

My Tumblr :)

«First  <  1 2 3 4  >  Last»  | Page of 4  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us