Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: One mans trash is anothers treasure: a thread on dumpster diving

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
One mans trash is anothers treasure: a thread on dumpster diving

hello
I noticed the article on dumpster diving and just wanted to ask everyone
What is the best thing you've ever saved from being thrown away?
you can include thrift shop finds too if they're particularly interesting.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Thanks someone has finally done a dumpster diving thread.
I have always wanted to do some dumpster diving but i haven't got round to it.
I'm kind of scared of the dumpsters round a Morrisons store because one time my mate went dumpster diving and she found needles and drugs inside them :S.
I will probably come back to this thread when i have eventually got the time to go dumpster diving.

Short snippet of my song: Bees Knees

Your eyes they still wail out conflict
But you still think your the bees knees
You keep choking on your vulgar slurs
But in the end it's a comforting pity...
You still like to imagine that you are the bees knees.

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

-DVD player
-19-inch TV with built in VCR
-Playstation controller
-old computer monitor

All in amazing condition (except the monitor) as they were thrown out by college students on move-out days at the end of the academic year. I find it astounding that people that have to get home by airplane buy so much crap just to toss it out when they don't want to pay some sort of fee to get it home. Not that I'm complaining; it makes the campus dumpsters a veritable gold mine for about a week. I sold the monitor to a friend of mine, kept the controller, and pawned the rest off.

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

:o
Bloody hell!
I've never been dumpster diving, too scared. Sounds like fun though.

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I usually just get stuff that has copper wire in it(fans, printers, lamps, anything with electrical wiring) . If I have no other use for it, I crack it open with a sledge hammer and clip the wire out, then strip it for scrap copper. I've never been lucky enough to find much else.

My wardrobe is mostly previously loved and thrifted though.

Here is my blog.

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

An old wooden chair, that I made a new cushion for.

And it's not dumpster diving, but I love going down to the river Thames when the tide is out and looking for flotsam and jetsam. I once found a welder's mask on the day of a solar eclipse so I got to watch the whole thing safely for free!

Hendrixsa, if you've got a mate that's dumpster dived, that's perfect. Going with a friend is much more fun and stress-free because if anything weird happens you'll have each other. If you're worried about finding sharps in dumpsters, make sure you have biker or gardening gloves, take care, and poke things with a stick so you can see what's underneath...

Incidentally, I need to lay my hands on some small pieces of scrap metal to do some arc welding art. Anyone got any ideas where I could find small bits of scrap metal?

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

MookyDuchess

Date:

Keep looking down the banks of the Thames?

See my pictures at this site.

Honoured Mook

Date:

my walmart? [there's always metal scraps for some reason]

One day i found a pair of rollerskates for the trash
perfect condition
but three sizes too small :(

Oh, at school one day i found a twenty...in the trash..
Stupid janitors, you take that money, don't throw it out

all my pants come from thrift stores.. =/ LOL

-- Edited by [crazy]girl at 23:40, 2009-01-02

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Izil wrote:

-DVD player
-Playstation controller
-old computer monitor

All in amazing condition (except the monitor) as they were thrown out by college students on move-out days at the end of the academic year. I find it astounding that people that have to get home by airplane buy so much crap just to toss it out when they don't want to pay some sort of fee to get it home. Not that I'm complaining; it makes the campus dumpsters a veritable gold mine for about a week. I sold the monitor to a friend of mine, kept the controller, and pawned the rest off.

The same thing happens at my school every year we get a bunch of people together to collect used furniture and appliances to give away to charities before it's all thrown  out.

Regular Crew

Date:

My brother and I found a battered car door dumped at the top of our lane before, and we used it as a sled in the winter and then sold it for scrap, if that counts?

Regular Crew

Date:

Well, it wasn't through dumpster diving, but...
The best thing I ever saved from being thrown away is my kitten. Had to say that because of how you said the question.

Otherwise, a mirror, dvd player, expensive cat food, bookshelf...

Lush Guru

Date:

I saved my kitten being thrown away/drowned also. It's amazing what people will do with the 'end' of the litter.

I quite fancy going dumpster diving but I swear in my town the dumpsters are hidden.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

wow this sounds amazing! Will have to drag someone along with me though...

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Hendrixsa wrote:

...I'm kind of scared of the dumpsters round a Morrisons store because one time my mate went dumpster diving and she found needles and drugs inside them :S.

O.O Yikes safety first children SAFETY FIRST!

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Persephone wrote:

Izil wrote:

-DVD player
-Playstation controller
-old computer monitor

The same thing happens at my school every year we get a bunch of people together to collect used furniture and appliances to give away to charities before it's all thrown  out.

In all the student's homes I've lived, furniture and such things isn't so much thrown away as recycled endlessly. When you move into a new student flat the first thing you do is going scavenging for things left outside by the ones that have left. Then when you move, you put them back outside where you found then. Thus the old scruffy sofa travels around the block until it is completely worn out.
Where I live now they have taken it one step further, in every hallway it is a box where you can leave your old books and magazines. And pick up someone elses old books and magazines. It works splendidly, only troble is to get to grab the good stuff before someone else snatches it.

-- Edited by Irilar at 16:59, 2009-01-29

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Irilar wrote:

In all the student's homes I've lived, furniture and such things isn't so much thrown away as recycled endlessly. When you move into a new student flat the first thing you do is going scavenging for things left outside by the ones that have left. Then when you move, you put them back outside where you found then. Thus the old scruffy sofa travels around the block until it is completely worn out.
Where I live now they have taken it one step further, in every hallway it is a box where you can leave your old books and magazines. And pick up someone elses old books and magazines. It works splendidly, only troble is to get to grab the good stuff before someone else snatches it.

-- Edited by Irilar at 16:59, 2009-01-29

Maybe it's an American thing. Izul's prophile said that she's from the US and that's where I'm studying as well. Although some students do rent apartments elsewhere most of the undergraduets at the University of Hartford live in dormitories and apartments owned by the School (our lords and masters). Sadly, if a student were to leave behind a box full of books and magazines it would probably be thrown out by the cleaning staff before the new resident moved in. The same goes for any furniture that didn't come standard with the apartment. Hence fiberboard desk and tiny kitchen set stay, giant flourescent beanbag chair with matching fuzzy smiley face pillow goes. In addition, if any leftover stuff is found in your old room or in the hallway or stairwell outside of it you'll get charged extra on that years room and board for "garbage removal"

Date:

Perhaps. I've gotten the impression from americans I know that people in the US in general is much more eager to throw away stuff than people here in nordic countries?

The student flats here in Helsinki is owned and run by the student housing foundation, the board of directors is mainly representatives from the student unions. There is also a tenants representative and a representative for the city. Furthermore, each unit of blocks have a tenants comity. So if you have any bright ideas about how to make the living environment better it won't be too hard to get it through I think. (personally, I'd propose a vegetable bed along the walls if I wasn't away all summer.)

Anyway, leaving stuff in your room or in the hallway outside it will get you a fee I guess. That's why you leave it in the main hallway entrances..

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Thank you so much for elaborating Irilar smile

Date:

Hm, I've recently started to dive into my own trash. I've broken some glasses, so now there is only 2 of the big good ones left. So I thought I'd make some new ones from the heap of glass jars I haven't lugged to recycling yet. Cutting off the top and pondering about painting them. So far I have 10 broken jars and one that can serve as a flower pot, but I will get better I hope..

Also I've started making candle holders out of tin cans ( I can never get enough candle holders). I think they are surprisingly nice.

Anyone else have some DIY ideas for household garbage ?

Honoured Mook

Date:

Irilar wrote:

So far I have 10 broken jars and one that can serve as a flower pot, but I will get better I hope..

All the best projects begin like that....

Honoured Mook

Date:

from a dumpster - my dad and i saved this utility lockbox, which i spraypainted pink. Unfortunately, i was in, like, 5th grade and lost the key so we had to break the lock, but the box survives!

thrift shop - i got the main body of my Marie Antoinette costume, which was dark blue. I also got this cute red 50s/60s style hawaiian dress which is lovely!

And I saved all my cats! First was Socks, who was a baby kitten outside - i saved her siblings and adopted them out... Then Peanut, whose sister i couldn't keep but did spay in order to prevent more stray cats from being produced (we pretty much fixed every cat in my area - we couldn't keep them all so we did the best thing we could). then was Tripod, who we saw limping one day, then the next day she was missing a leg. So we adopted her and saved her. Lastly, was Harry. He was pretty much almost dead - he had worms, giardia, FIV, and diabetes, and he smelled bad. So we gave him insulin and antibiotics, then his diabetes went away (which apparently only happens in cats).

I digress.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Irilar, you're right - people in the US are WAY too fast to throw things out. It pains me when i see people throwing out a perfectly good plastic plate - when I have parties, i dig every plasticware item out of the trash and wash it for reusing! I never throw out leftover food, i put it in the fridge and eat it for breakfast.
At school there are no recycling bins and so i bring every paper i find home to recycle.
And they sell bottled water which i HATE!
Everytime i throw something out because i have no other choice, i hate it.

Sorry about the double post.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Every time I have to do a project for a class I dive behind the administration building here. They throw out so many old files and binders, report covers and nice folders. All I have to do is pull all the old paper out and use the bindings. My projects always turn out nicer than anyone else's too.

Here is my blog.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

a painting (though not an expensive one but still cool)
a 1960's luggage carry on in bright blue (to match the suitcase of the same style that I bought from a yard sale just days before- how lucky is that?)

I got 2 coast dresses from charity shops for under £20. One which really came in handy because I needed it for my bf's graduation ceremony.

I rarely buy things new.

Date:

OH YE GODS!

They are renovating the student blocks I'm living in. Meaning that everyone have to move out of one of them. And they have placed the container where people throw away stuff right outside my window.

So I'm just sitting here, drinking tea and watching what is coming into the container. When I see something I like, I just nip out and grab it. It's like being in an auction, except everything is free..

Joy!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

That sounds great!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I went the other night and found nothing for the first time. Funny thing is, I even went through the trouble of picking the lock of the Auto Zone dumpster. Thought there might be something good if they went through to lock it... but no.

I did find a huge box of old electrical wiring out with the trash in our maths and sciences complex though. My roomie thought I was some kind of crazy copper thief when I brought all of that back to our room.

Here is my blog.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Irilar wrote:

OH YE GODS!

They are renovating the student blocks I'm living in. Meaning that everyone have to move out of one of them. And they have placed the container where people throw away stuff right outside my window.

So I'm just sitting here, drinking tea and watching what is coming into the container. When I see something I like, I just nip out and grab it. It's like being in an auction, except everything is free..

Joy!

That just gave me a good chuckle biggrin.gif

Why does that never happen to me?!

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Also, you don't have to compete with other bidders... or crazy antiques dealers.

I love auctions... but I hate those damn dealers. I bid on this big box of these amazing vintage feathered hats and fascinators all in amazing condition. I was so excited- but then this snobby dealer had to butt in and outbid me. Like she or any of her richy rich customers would actually wear any of those hats. I would've actually worn them... okay enough of my auction rant tangent...

Here is my blog.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I would've been pissed about that as well.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us