Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: POWER

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:
POWER

Can someone explain who has what powers around here, please?

cos i'm seeing people who've been her 2 seconds closing topics and telling people off and im just curious.

-- Edited by Kitty Fire at 08:42, 2008-10-19

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

I can leap puddles with a single bound, but sadly I have no administrative powers. Until yesterday I thought Kitty was the only person with them.

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

yeah, until just now i thought the same.

MookyDuchess

Date:

Well, for want of a better word, I'm the moderator. Though Magda is also a moderator.

But, the way the forum is growing, it's a lot of work for on person. I also, I discovered recently, need another opinion on some stuff from time to time. So, Maeve, who I've known for a while (and has been on these forums before, under a different user name), had been helping out with the forum behind the scenes a fair bit, was given admin powers, to help me out.

So, this means that I don't get quite so swamped with work, or if I'm away for a few days, I know that the forum will be in good hands. It also means that if there's a situation that I become too involved with personally, I can hand it over and it'll get resolved fairly.

I didn't make a big thing of it, because I didn't think it was that much of an issue. There's no real change to the way the forum works. And there was certainly no Machiavellian reasons behind it, no one was given powers randomly. It just evolved that way.

So, yeah, I'll still be wandering around, tweaking the forum here and there, as is my wont, making sure everyone plays nice, and Maeve helps out when needed. And Magda just keeps a watchful eye over everything, whilst concentrating on doing wonderful work on the main site.

(Just so people know, if you go into a category (like, Random Central) and scroll down to the bottom, there's a list of the moderators.)

-- Edited by Kitty Fire at 07:43, 2008-10-10

See my pictures at this site.

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

ok, thankyou

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

WHO'S GOT WHAT POWERS ON THE BOARD - the long version

I've got board powers but don't use them much. Mookychick is a meritocracy - that means if you're good at it, and you care enough and are involved enough, you often end up doing it.

Quick pop fact history of Mooks: I created Mookychick with my friend Amanda P, who backed out because we'd originally planned to be a print magazine (we had meetings with the main man of a leading UK national publishing company and were proper impressed with ourselves!). When it became online, Amanda decided there wasn't enough for her to do and handed the reins to me in a beautiful cocktail-infused ceremony. Don't worry - we're still mates, we go on holidays together and everything!

If I take what I do seriously that means I can't be greedy - the messageboard community needs someone who will care for it in a proper hardcore way. That's where Kitty Fire comes in - she's a mate offline (although we met through another messageboard as it happens) but she's been on the board since year dot and has been supportive and proactive on the board, which makes for a good mod. Being socially proactive on a board for ages is usually how board moderators/co-admins get formed on community boards.

LollyPOP, your question was a fair one - Maeve had been on the boards a while under a different name. If Maeve was as recent as she seems, yes, that would be a poor choice of admin. Admin and mods need to be longstanding, so they've got a decent awareness of what a board's ethics and policy are. It's also best to have more than one admin. All mods and admin have got social history because they've been active on the boards for a while - you need more than one to guarantee good, clean, impersonal decisions.

YEAH, BUT WHY HAVE MODS IN THE FIRST PLACE? SELF-POLICING FORUMS ARE KING!*

*Queen, I mean. It's a question you have to ask yourself when a board is set up, but it makes sense.

Anyone who's been a forum mod knows it's not as easy and kudos-laden as it looks. Obviously everyone here knows that anyway - I'm just spelling it out for the hell of it. You don't get the cake and the bling and the honeys for nothing - you have to work hard for it by making grim "Oh my God I don't want to hurt anyone but the board needs to be given some kind of structure oh my God am I doing the right thing I've no idea why did I take this job anyway?" decisions every day.

All messageboards get trolls, flame wars, major emotional chaos storms where everyone is a good person but unhappiness reigns because writing words down is different to saying them. Let's be honest, we all know these are often absolutely hilarious on someone else's board (like the comments on The Worst Fanfiction Ever) but they can be seriously hurtful or frustrating when you're personally involved.

Mooks is, on the whole, self-policing. If someone says something racist or homophobic or sexist, the users tend to step in and whale on them, and they change their opinion or head on over to some online KKK feelgood fest. No worries. Sometimes a mod or admin can come in useful to step in and sort it quickly.

The board's been going over three years and I can only ever recall 2 threads being closed, only a couple of trolling incidents which I thought were pretty fun and quite beneficial anyway, nothing I'd classify a flame war... people, we're doing alright!

But yeah, knowing who does what on the board is a plus.

Kitty, fancy making a brief intro post to who the board moderators are somewhere so newcomers can see it if they need to?

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

MookyDuchess

Date:

I'll sort out the introduction post when I get home tonight. smile.gif

And I also want to remind people that if you ever have any questions over amy action or decision made, or anything forum related, I'm only a pm away. smile.gif

MookyDuchess

Date:

Ok, I'm home now and not working from my iPhone and would just add to this that I personally think this is one of the best forums I've ever been on and that's nothing to do with the work Magda and I put in (and, more recently, Maeve) but purely because of the people on it. Intelligent, funny, warm, and opinionated. All are words that I just thought of.

But it's the people here who keep me working here. That and the cake, bling and honeys I was promised.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

With great power comes great responsibility....

There's my contribution to this discussion :)

MookyDuchess

Date:

Great responsibility.

And the excuse that the cake, bling and honeys are in the post.

Date:

Electrosexual: A fine contribution!

Kitty: Er, um, cake, bling, honeys... Ah. Right.

You know how zen sees emptiness to be, like, a really GOOD thing? So empty promises are almost super-certainly the best promises of all? Um... ah... yeah. I feel terrible now!

Tell you what... I can definitely manage some cake. And something that looks a bit shiny. And probably some honey. So tell me, what sort of cake travels best in the post?

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

MookyDuchess

Date:

In that Zen buddhist sort of way, the person who knows everything, must know nothing. I have nothing, so does that mean I have everything? That makes me think and thinking makes me happy.

Dame of Mooky

Date:

Firstly hello I am Maeve, as Kitty Stated I have been lurking around corners for quite some dusty time now. There was no major introduction as both Magda and Kitty felt there was none needed.

As for telling people off, I don't. I do however draw the line at respect, if people choose to come onto this board to hear new views of others and express them in a manner to which we all approve of (this is basic manners) then I don't think there is a problem, if people are being down right aggressive and tacky then there becomes a closed thread.

I am no god, I have opinions as I stated in my last intro, I am a friendly person who will stick to what she believes in and I think this site is a great example of opinions and beliefs, I admire this site and everyone for that.
It is one of the reasons I have been on here and do come on here.

If anyone has any questions or wishes to talk about kittens or something with me then go ahead, I am a normal person.

I just draw the line at impoliteness, as I think most would.

Oh and lemon cake is the best.

And I'm not too great at leaping over puddles because my legs are too short...

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

i understand now, i hbope i didn't piss anyone off with this?
I love being on mookychicks and have been here for 8 month and 8 days! You're all wonderful people. I suppose i just wanted to know what was going on, i get confused easily.

Date:

Nah, everyone's cool. Threads get closed only it's for general safety or when no-one comes off too pretty in them, time to lay that baby to rest.

'Twas a good question which was why everyone was keen to answer it as you can see!!

-- Edited by Magda Mookychick at 21:29, 2008-10-10

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Dame of Mooky

Date:

Oui Oui, yeah so lets all be sickly friendly now, because that's just great.

I'm kidding, I would have asked the same, thanks for asking :)

MookyDuchess

Date:

Magda Mookychick wrote:

Kitty, fancy making a brief intro post to who the board moderators are somewhere so newcomers can see it if they need to?

That introduction is here. If there's ever any changes in the future, they'll also be noted here too. :)

-- Edited by Kitty Fire at 20:57, 2008-10-14

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

What exactly is trolling?

And who whas that berk saying they were gonna kill themselves?

And how have you dealt with them?

Did it involve a cane?

Dame of Mooky

Date:

They have been banned.

No idea what trolling means...

Canes are fun.

What is trolling then???

MookyDuchess

Date:

Trolling is when you enter a forum and post offensive or obnoxious posts, purely to provoke some sort of argument or discord. It's a puerile way to spend your time, but it seems popular.

Also, if anyone does find any offensive posts by our two more recent trolls, please just delete it. And don't leave any messages on their profiles, because a) it's exactly the reaction they want, it just encourages them, it's better to ignore them and b) they won't be able to read it now anyway.

It would have been dealt with quicker, but they were sneaky and posted from Australia and so had that pesky time zone thing going on, whilst the mods were all asleep.

Dame of Mooky

Date:

Yes fast asleep. I love sleep.

Pesky little trolls....

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

In the words of Edgar Allan Poe:
"Sleep. Those little slices of death. How I loathe them."

Sorry about the lateness of this post to the thread.

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Cheese, that is all...

and cute to boot

Date:

Let's have a big warm mooky welcome to our two newest mods:

Irilar - Runic Mook of the North
Candiclaus - Colonel Mook

They have been on this wonderful board for many a year and have proved themselves to be full love and gooseberry jam.

If there's something weird in your neighbourhood, let your neighbourly mod know and they will de-weirdify for your pleasure and safety.

Mookface (mod)

Date:

*raises a glass of champagne to Candi and Irilar* LONG LIVE THE MODS!

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

:) Hurrah! I am legal!

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yay! :D

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Honoured Mook

Date:

Coolio!

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

The beginning of this thread is so different to the end!

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

To Irilar and Candi,congrats,or commisserations,depending on your POV. ;)

Dave.

-- Edited by skgogosfan on Thursday 25th of March 2010 03:00:30 AM

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us