Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: my quest to figure out why teenage girls are so in love with "Twilight"...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
my quest to figure out why teenage girls are so in love with "Twilight"...

Oh God. Why can't good books be popular? *collapses in anguish*

-- Edited by Lady Misery on Thursday 2nd of April 2009 06:59:31 PM

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm sorry, I watched it on DVD last night. Now I'm in the mood to read the books again.
I think rocking slowly in a scolding hot shower will make it all go away...

Regular Crew

Date:

I actually love the books, but I'm not an insane fangirl who lives for nothing else... I love lots of different books. I love Shakespeare.

I don't see why, if you like Twilight and are a girl, it automatically makes you "in love" with it and like, a crazy obsessed fangirl.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Apparently Stephanie Meyer nicked her ideas from her college room mate shes being sued....and the new movie has a hold on it.....:):):)

The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue. Dorothy Parker

Regular Crew

Date:

I asked my mate who is OBSESSED with it, about why vampires run around freely in daylight, and she replies..

Her: " Oh, it's perfectly logical, they dont shrivel up or anything."

Me: " But then they are'nt vampires!"

Her:  " Yea they are!  They sparkle instead!"

VAMPIRES? SPARKLE?

WTF?

rY8dF.png

Regular Crew

Date:

I used to like Twilight. I read Anne Rice books before I read Twilight, but I do enjoy a good love story, and I have a bit of a vampire/werewolf thing, and I totally don't care if a guy bites me, human or otherwise, so I did enjoy immensly until New Moon. New Moon was just so damn depressing, and Bella allowed her whole world to fall apart because of Edward, and then she creates something special with Jacob and then when Edward gets back she throws all that away? That's not actually setting a good example for girls about Realtionships. I mean someone I loved with my whole heart decided that we couldn't/shouldn't be in a realtionship, and I learned how to stand on my own two feet. ( We still love eachother deeply, and would do anything for eachother,but we need to figure ourselfs out). Shouldn't teenage girls be reading something where a lady has a healthy realtionship with herself, and with her man? This book is giving girls the wrong idea about not having to work at realtionships to make them good. My poor friend is having a hard time with her boyfriend because she's got in her head that perfect guys like Edward exist, and the fact of the matter is they just don't.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Must admit... i wasnt expecting to like it... but i thought hey i will give it a go.. and when i read it all i could think was... mmm wonder if he is sparkle all over?? what a ride...lol

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Keep in mind this is merely my opinion:
I like Twilight. I understand why some people wouldn't like it. When you deconstruct it, analyze the characters and the plot there isn't much to it. It could be have been developed and adapted in so many different ways, but some potential was destroyed, either through bad editing or writing.

However, I discovered the Saga at a point where I really needed a little bit of an escape from reality, and Twilight provided that perfectly. The good thing about Bella, is that although she isn't explored deeply, it's easy to apply to yourself to her, making the books more personal. Not to say, it promotes the idea of a sparkling vampire choosing you above the rest, but it helps. It includes you. It zaps you into a simipilar, more enjoyable world. With the Saga, you have to take it for what it is. Perhaps Meyer filled a niche, but so have many other writers. Also, if it gets younger readers more interested in reading, then it should be seen as a good thing. Right?

I'm not in love with Edward, but the idea of him was lovely. I don't dote upon Jacob, but I found his character interesting.

I'm re - reading New Moon for the third time, and I have my reasons. In the end, I'm an emotional son of a gun, these books appeal to that. Everyone's allowed their guilty pleasures, so long as it doesn't get you arrested, you might aswell enjoy them.

I have a blog:
Blog

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I can't stand it- I'm one of those people who diesn't even have to analyse the book to find problems with it. I'm picking out flaws and stuff as I'm reading- Bella has no personality, Jacob's a paedo, Edward is an abusive stalker- and slowly sinking into a pit of despair. I hate everything about Twilight and can't wait till everybody stops reading the series. I will wait, grimly clutching a copy of Jane Eyre, and glare at any one who dares say they are good.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I agree. I also hate it being called a "saga". It's not a saga. It's a silly story that probably owes its length to extensive use of Thesaurus.

Lady Misery, I wish more people our age read real books like Jane Eyre. Alas, Twilight-ish buffoonery seems to be more enticing. Bleh.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I'm reading Oscar Wilde at the moment, I've read things such as "To Kill A Mockingbird", "Pride and Prejudice", "A Clockwork Orange", "Animal Farm", "Heart Of Darkness" and I love Shakespeare. Just because someone hits out with a trashy book every so often doesn't mean that they limit themselves. Reading is for my enjoyment, that's exactly how I approach it, I find what I enjoy. I don't think Twilight is something to be taken as seriously as it is.

It's interesting to see how prejudice can form in what material someone reads.

I have a blog:
Blog

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ My post wasn't meant ad hominem, I'm sorry if that's the way you perceived it.

But I think that if Twilight is what gets younger readers more interested in reading, they probably won't go to the library and borrow "1984" after they finish reading the "saga". True, taste in books evolves but reading the classics and occasionally throwing in some popular fiction is completely different than basically starting out with popular fiction. For example, most of my primary school classmates read all seven Harry Potter books but that's about everything they have read in their entire lives. They won't go and read Shakespeare, Dickens or Plath because that's not how they imagine reading. And that's why I think that Twilight and similar bestsellers do more harm than good.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

No worries, I wasn't directly replying at you, it was more of a case of expressing how individuals are capable of enjoying more than the one genre.

I started out reading Harry Potter, and that gradually drew me into other books. Just differences of opinions, really.

Alas, I am far too hungover to think of a logical, structured argument that doesn't contain any fallacies haha.

I have a blog:
Blog

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I've always been really into reading, so once I'd finished Twilight, I went off to devour another book. However, some of my friends, who aren't very interested in reading, read Twilight, said afterwards, "Wow, Twilight has really got me into reading!" and never picked up another book. Reading one "saga" over and over again does not get you into reading, and after looking at people's English original writing coursework, it became pretty clear what kind of material they had read in the past.

I am a socialite, an artist, a poet.

Lady Moustache of Mooky
jen

Regular Crew

Date:

Personally, Twilight wasn't really my read. I find Meyer's writing so bland and terrible, there wasn't much in depth to any of the characters and Bella was just plain ol' clumsy and annoying. SPARKLING VAMPIRES?! VAMPIRE BASEBALL?! Let's just say, I like my vampires classic; bursting into flames and well, not playing baseball.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Regular Crew

Date:

I hate twilight with a burning vengeance. Its probably because im on Gaia online for the text-based Rping, and theres farrrr too many "gorgeous, personality-free sparkling veggie vampires"
Im sorry, but no. Give me Count Drac, Lestat or the lost boys anyday.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I read Twilight to see what all the fuss was about, and so I could judge for myself whether it was fantastic or awful (people seem to either love it or loathe it).
I hated it. It has the potential to be great. The basic idea of a vampire dealing with blood lust for the one he loves is an interesting one, and could have made a great series. Sadly, I found it reads like bad fanfiction. I'm a Creative Writing student, at degree level, and the writing in this made me cringe. How does such bad writing get published? I found the characters flat, dull and unbelievable, Bella is a giant Mary-Sue and the plot reads like a teeny-bopper fantasy. I found myself laughing out loud at it several times, and I'm sure Meyer didn't intend that to happen.
To be fair, much as I love more 'classic' vampires, I have no problem with people reimagining the vampire traits, so sparkly vampires, though bizarre, didn't bother me.

I may fall into the loathe category, but I can see why some people love it and that's fine. Just don't talk to me about how wonderful it is and how Edward is your dream-love please!

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat." Rebecca West

Come and stalk me on my blog, or on Twitter

Honoured Mook

Date:

Spiggy wrote:

But I think that if Twilight is what gets younger readers more interested in reading, they probably won't go to the library and borrow "1984" after they finish reading the "saga". True, taste in books evolves but reading the classics and occasionally throwing in some popular fiction is completely different than basically starting out with popular fiction. For example, most of my primary school classmates read all seven Harry Potter books but that's about everything they have read in their entire lives. They won't go and read Shakespeare, Dickens or Plath because that's not how they imagine reading. And that's why I think that Twilight and similar bestsellers do more harm than good.

I definately agree. My classmates in middle and elementary school were just the same way. What annoys me the most is how people don't even care what their children are reading as long as they are reading at all. How has our culture become that desparate?

My dad read me Shakespeare as a child, even though I had a bit of trouble understanding it. But it was still very enjoyable. We'd split the roles and read them out loud, and I think that helped me understand it a lot more. I live, quite frankly, in a family of book freaks, so if you name a classic there's a strong chance that we have it lurking somewhere in our house. 

I find that such an early introduction really helps me branch out when it comes to literature. I'll always have something to fall back on.

I was flipping through Twilight the other day and was laughing hysterically. However you spell that. I think it would be a fun idea to have a dramatic reading of the entire series-- tounge in cheek, of course-- sort of like how people recorded 'My Immortal.' (Worst Fanfic Ever.) It would still be funny, just grammatically easier to read out loud.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. - John Lennon

Honoured Mook

Date:

Haha, that's a fantastic idea! That would be hilariously funny.

I'm all for books that get kids reading, but not if it's only reading that series of books. That's not proper reading. It's not expanding their horizons, or improving their vocabulary or making them have intelligent opinions on literature, or any of that good stuff reading does for people.
Harry Potter's been mentioned a lot. I'd have to agree; a lot of people I went to school with have read Harry Potter and nothing else. A close friend of mine genuinely can't see the point in reading a book if there's a movie of it (unless it's Harry Potter). Makes you cringe, huh?

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat." Rebecca West

Come and stalk me on my blog, or on Twitter

Honoured Mook

Date:

I tried to read Twilight, I really did. I usually read pretty quickly, so when it took 6 days to force myself through just 4 short chapters, I knew my heart wasn't in it. I think that's the first time I just didn't want to continue reading.

"Mark Reads Twilight So You Don't Have To"

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing about fucking Twilight. All I ever see on Facebook are quotes from the book, people drooling over Edward and my friends babbling about how good it is. Christ!

-- Edited by Lady Misery on Wednesday 16th of September 2009 06:55:00 PM

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I take all what I said back. I don't want to give any merit to the Twilight corp, the love has been burried with make up and strange and unrelated merchandise.

However, I would like to add there is a Twilight vibrator avaliable. Enjoy.

I have a blog:
Blog

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I heard about that. Shaped like Edward :S

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ I didn't know that. Ace.

GUESS WHAT I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS!?

I'm kidding, I promise. Please direct your disgust to the children like my little sister, out of pocket, with Twilight soaked walls and all the magic that has disappeared.

(I still enjoyed the books, I stand by that, the inital love is just gone now, it was like a little guilty secret you could curl up with and compare your unfortuneate love life with and never have anyone know. You could laugh in your head and go "Har, har, no one knows how sad my Friday nights truly are, with my impressionable Bella and my pretty Edward". Now, everyone knows, it's all there, EVERYONE KNOWS YOU LIKED SPARKLY PRETTY VAMPIRES! BAD YOU, GO CATCH A PIXIE THAT GLOWS GREEN WHEN IT WALKS PAST HOBOS. You literary butcherer, you."

I have a blog:
Blog

Regular Crew

Date:

I'm going to be completely honest.
I LOVE the books but haven't got around to reading the new one yet.

But I hate the character of Edward, does nobody else feel like that?
I feel like the books give you a slight margin to dislike him, but i'm scared of watching the film in case it doesn't give me this 'hate margin'

:)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I can't help but think Twilight lowers IQ. Most of the Twilight fans I know how atrocious spellings, questionable thoughts on stalkers and abusive relationships and a very fixed attitude towards men (apparently all that matters is looks these days).

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

You can't generalise love. There's not a "type" just immature views are expressed whilst reading this book because it is aimed at people who haven't reached their full maturity. You're a wise soul, but not everyone follows that pattern.

It's just a book remember :)

I have a blog:
Blog

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I know not every Twilight fan is batty, hence my use of the word many.

Wow, that sounded mean haha. I didn't mean it to. But some people are taking this 'book' too far. Even the Harry Potter craze didn't get this bad! At least the HP fans were discussing something intelligent. The majority of Twilighters just go on about Edwards hotness.

It makes Misery sad no

-- Edited by Lady Misery on Tuesday 29th of September 2009 08:41:36 PM

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

BUT LADY MISERY HE'S LIAK SO PRETTY!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I am so sorry, I don't know what came over me there.
I WAS KIDDING I SWEAR, WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING TO ME?!

Nah, I know what you mean. Nothing lasts forever though.

I have a blog:
Blog

Regular Crew

Date:

Almost finished twilight and it slowly seems to be developing some kind of plot other than teenagers having crushes on each other. Still a bit baffled as to why teenage girls like it so much, and reading through the forum hasn't really made it clear.

More explainations from people who like it please! It looks like I'm going to finish it, which I'm quite surprised about, and some of the images have stuck with me but beyond that I can't see it yet.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us