Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: my quest to figure out why teenage girls are so in love with "Twilight"...

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: my quest to figure out why teenage girls are so in love with "Twilight"...

I thought it was crap.
The Historian is a much better vampire book.
The characters were fairly 2-D, it didn't really go in-depth at all.
Their relationship wasn't believeable, and although Bella is written better than the rest, I suspect it could have been written way better.
ALSO I heard she only wrote it to get teenagers to wait until marriage for sex, which is an annoying excuse for a book.

Voltaire -

"The best way to become boring is to say everything."

Nami, the brutal Mook.

[Tumblog][Facebook][DeviantArt][Vampirefreaks

MookyDuchess

Date:

The use of the vampire as a metaphor for chastity is the most interesting inversion of a cliche though.

See my pictures at this site.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Kitty Fire wrote:

Twilight is a series of books about a teenage girl who goes to school and falls in love with a vampire, who just so happens to be good, rather than tear peoples' throat out and feed on their life blood.

Some people think they are incredibly good and perhaps the best thing since sliced Harry Potter.

Hm, that doesn't really sound tempting. I like to read light, romantic books meant for teenage girls now and then to let my head relax from the struggle with my thesis.

But when I was a teenager I read historic romance about teenage girls with supernatural powers that struggled against the society of witchburners that they lived in. Then they would fall in love with some incredibly handsome, but sad and lonely outcast/slightly evil henchman, but through the heroines brave struggles and good deeds the fella eventually gather up enough self esteem to shag her and they live happily ever after.

To cut it short, I want to be the herione with superpowers, not some ordinary girl who meets a supernatural hunk. So it does not seem that "twilight" is for me :)

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I am starting to read the first book already and i seriously can't stop laughing my head.
Stephenie Meyer writes like a 15 year old girl who is trapped in a 35 year old womans body.

Short snippet of my song: Bees Knees

Your eyes they still wail out conflict
But you still think your the bees knees
You keep choking on your vulgar slurs
But in the end it's a comforting pity...
You still like to imagine that you are the bees knees.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/473402

tee hee!

It's called tWHYlight xD

funny pisstake lol ^.^

=)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I hate Twilight. I read it when it first came out, in 2005, and I didn't like it then. I like it even less now, because so many people are obsessed with it. Half the people I talk to only ever natter on about how great it is and how amazing the film was and how "SO UNBELIEVABLY PHIT EDWARD CULLEN IS, LAWLLZZZ!!!"
Oh my God. Please, someone save me. =_="

I am a socialite, an artist, a poet.

Lady Moustache of Mooky

Regular Crew

Date:

Yes. That bugs me too. People just think that they can marry Edward Cullen / Robert Pattinson. I mean, Edward is a fictional character, and Robert Pattinson is an actor. 'You can't marry Robert Pattinson as Edward, because HE IS NOT EDWARD CULLEN!'

Gah, I need saving too.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

There's a worrying amount of 'Mrs. Edward Cullen's out there. I didn't think that he came across as a particularly sexy character.

The book is full of clichés and lacks in orginality; it's almost painful to read it.

Lady Moustache of Mooky

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ Yep twilight is a really painful to read.
I'm on the third book and i can't help but laugh at it's expense.
I seriously am having a hatred for Edward Cullen,i perosnally think the guy is a complete arse and a control freak.
I don't get how people are saying that all teenage girls like this book it's really awful.

Regular Crew

Date:

I think the intention was that people would LOVE Edward. Meh. There's something wrong with me.

After a while, the whole thing becomes a bit predictable, to be honest. I managed to guess correctly at least half of the last book.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I think Jacob was okay at the start but then i think Meyer started writing him out like a jerk ever since New Moon.

She just completely changed him.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

frank? wrote:

I never liked Edward to be honest. Breaking Dawn was shit, I liked Jacobs role in it but I felt the whole Bella and Edward thing was a bit rushed and pretty unbelievable. Bit of a let down. Grrr.

Rushed and unbelievable? So vampires are believable?!? I know I was the one who wrote the 'Is Twilight Voyeuristic' article, because it is, but aren't people forgetting its just a story! Since when has there been such controversy over girls falling in love with other fictional characters? 

No Rachel. We're not starting a new religion today - My English Teacher

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

I think what she means by unbelievable is the fact that the actual course of the romance itself is pretty hard to swallow. A good story will draw a person into its subject matter, and even though the person who's reading it knows it's not real, they can still feel it's all happening as though it were and give an actual damn about it.

Take Lord of the Rings, for example. Even though people know hobbits, ents, and wizards don't exist, the writing is so good and the plot is so compelling, that one is able to believe that it could be happening even if it is just on the page.

Compare to Twilight where the plot is so clumsy that the romance between Bella and Edward is a hard sell no matter how many times Meyer's describes him as perfect.

I'm not sure if I'm being completely clear here...

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Izil wrote:

Compare to Twilight where the plot is so clumsy that the romance between Bella and Edward is a hard sell no matter how many times Meyer's describes him as perfect.

Yep that's what i think.
Maybe if Meyer planned Twilight like J.k did then maybe Twilight might actually be worth reading.
But alas Meyer didn't plan anything along the way and it clearly shows.
The more Meyer described Edward as 'perfect' the more i thought he was a complete utter arse.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I found this on Urban Dictionary:

Cliché #1:
The new girl in school who is awkward and clumsy and terrible at everything. How many times have we seen and read this?

Cliché #2:
The new girl falling in love with the hottest guy in school (Edward). No one saw that coming.

Cliché #3:
Despite the new girl's awkwardness and plain looks, the hottest guy in school falls in love with her. The epitome of originality, am I right? *sarcasm*

Cliché #4:
The new girl is hopelessly in love with the hottest guy in school to the point where you want to slap her because she'll do literally everything and anything the hottest guy in school will tell her to do just for him.

Cliché #5:
The vampire (who is the hottest guy in school), despite his love for the new girl, thirsts for her blood and struggles to control his bloodlust. Wow.

Cliché #6:
The vampire is a good vampire who doesn't want to hurt humans, so he feeds off of animals instead. *cough* Louis from Interview with the Vampire *cough*

Cliché #7:
The vampire thinks he's a monster and that the new girl should stay away from him if she values her life, but of course the new girl risks her life to be with him.

Cliché #8:
The new girl would rather die than not be with the vampire, which is the stupidest thing anyone on this Earth can ever say. Yes, I understand she's madly and hopelessly and stupidly in love with him, but you only get one life. She isn't even considerate of the family members she would leave behind who would mourn her death.

Lady Moustache of Mooky

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Has anyone noticed how the whole Twilight hype has calmed down a bit now?

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

mikimetchi wrote:

Despite the new girl's awkwardness and plain looks, the hottest guy in school falls in love with her. The epitome of originality, am I right? *sarcasm*

p>

That's exactly what me and my friends talked about.
I seriously don't get how a plain girl gets to be with the ''hottest'' guy in school [ I should put quotes marks on the plain but too].
It seriously doesn't add up no.gif

Red your right the whole 'Edward omg I love you' thing has calm down.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'd never heard of the books until I saw a bit on the news for the premier of the film. Then my sister said she'd read (at least one of) them ages ago and filled me in. Sounded utterly naff. I won't be reading/watching...but I am 27 and therefore not the target demographic.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I reread twilight... It was terrible. I can't believe I was so obsessed with it. xD

Regular Crew

Date:

I thought she was an okay writer, but the IDEA was outrageous.

:/

The whole generation of teenage fangirls will argue obsessively with anyone who tells them,"thats not how vampires act."

I have tried arguing but it ends up as-"Dracula didn't have a six pack! He was some old guy." And then they tell me about the bad vampires in the book.

This thus hurts my feelings and I slink into the shadows once again.

MEyer has crafted vampires into some trend,some sexual fantasy.
Of her own. I heard she wrote it from a dream, and wanted to share her perfect man/boy with the world. So she wrote the book.
Anyone notice bella sounds like a young stephanie?
Well the relationship was unbelievable, and drives those damn fan girls to daydream about edward. A vampire.
No, I say. Hes  a sparkly boy with fairy powers. Never a true vampire.

It's a big lie. That sparkles.

Harry Potter and the Vampire Diaries are in a higher league than this little floppy vampires-turned-sexual-fantasy-perfect-relationship , Twilight.

I'm one of those people, who drinks blood, not a "vampire" but its a seven year tradition of mine. I am hooked on the red  stuff. Please don't mock me. I attacked a girl in year two for it, and I am still in shame.
And now I find people coming to me, saying "its actually quite nice, I see why you love it so much."
To them its "cool" now its famous.

The pure name of vampire has been bismirched.

[spoiler]

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

^Have any of these Twilight 'tards even read Dracula? He gets younger and more attractive with every kill he makes for goodness's sake. Let that one slip past them when they start throwing around their worship of their sparkle god.

And then make fun of them for not picking up some decent literature before opening their cry holes.

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
Twilight!!!

Hey has anyone read the twilight series? it's awesome, and a great love story. one of those 'can't put down, must read not eat', kinda books.

If not the books have you mseen the film, and how do you think it compares to the books?accurate or not?xx

To have more will than fear is to be a super hero.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I think you've somehow missed the whopping great "Twilight" thread that's somewhere down further. Perhaps check to see if a topic is there and revive it instead of starting a new one?

I am seriously beginning to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

Honoured Mook

Date:

nonononononono! you are a tank girl fan, and you read twilight? Twilight is one of the most chauvinistic books I've ever read. It's basically about men being in complete control of women.
Please! Tank Girls preaches the exact opposite of Twilight. Listen to her.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Drama Hippie is right.
The book is compulsive, but crap.
AND on the subject of old thread, it was getting HUGE.
This is the new, sparkly, clean twilight thread.

Voltaire -

Nami, the brutal Mook.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

And once again, the search button is your friend.

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

MookyDuchess

Date:
RE: my quest to figure out why teenage girls are so in love with "Twilight"...

We do try and keep these things in one place, makes it easier to find things that aren't Twilight on here...

But, to make life easier for the Twilight readers (not going to make a comment about their reading ability, oh no, I'm not), I'm going to sticky this, so it stays at the top of the page all the time, for those with short attention spans.

See my pictures at this site.

Honoured Mook

Date:

And those who dislike the search function. Thanks Kitty!
(: can you not delete posts that get very full?

Voltaire -

Nami, the brutal Mook.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm horrified that so many Mookychicks like this disgrace of a book! And this obsession with Edward Mcsparklepants is, frankly, disgusting. People, he's an 100 year old virgin falling in love with a 17 year old. That sends my paedophile alert blaring already. Also, I gather from Meyers long, pointless and ridiculous descriptions of Edward that he is,essentially, talking chunk of carved marble. Yeah. Hot. Twilight is simply awful and I will never touch it again.

PS- we might be watching that travesty of a vampire movie tomorrow at school. Kill me now!

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Honoured Mook

Date:

GET READY for it to break all dvd sales records:(

The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue. Dorothy Parker

«First  <  1 2 3 4 57  >  Last»  | Page of 7  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us