Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: my quest to figure out why teenage girls are so in love with "Twilight"...

Baby Mook

Date:
Breaking Dawn !

Has anyone else finished?
 I finished it in 5 hrs the night I got it! I really liked it but out of the saga, I thought it was one of the worst. The story was ok, better than New Moon but, the writing wasn't very good. However, please understand that i LOVE Edward Cullen and stephenie meyer! worship.gif

What does everyone else think?

Regular Crew

Date:

I finished the book the night I got it as well, but it turned out to be my least favorite of the series; I felt that they were all a bit out of character and I don't think it explored Edward and Bella's relation ship as well as the others. But it does surprise you in the very beginning, heh heh.

I Love "Nessy".

-- Edited by Don-Young at 05:12, 2008-08-14

Regular Crew

Date:

I finished it same day too! I... hated it. Sorry guys but I thought it was terrible, worse than new moon! I was obbssessed with twilight and loved eclipse but breaking dawn just ruined the whole saga for me!

Spoiler

-- Edited by Kitty Fire at 19:27, 2008-11-21

Regular Crew

Date:

Yeah, I agree it wasn't very good. I liked it as well as New Moon. (Which I wasn't a big fan of.) Bella was really annoying in it. It was a good book, it just didn't live up to the Twilight standards.

Regular Crew

Date:
my quest to figure out why teenage girls are so in love with "Twilight"...

So, I borrowed Twilight from my local library, so I could see why teenage girls are so obsessed with the series.

It embarasses me to say that I actually ended up liking it and bought the four books in the series later that week. ashamed.gif However, I will say that the writing is not what I enjoyed - it felt like something I could have written, and I'm nineteen - it was the plot. I just like vampires, I guess.

I know for a fact that it definitely isn't Edward. I actually grew sick of how often Stephenie Meyer reminds us how supernaturally gorgeous he is. The girls who obsess over him make me sick. He's a fictional character! And if he were real, why would any of them be anything more to him than the typical girls at Forks High School? Obviously, he'd just read your mundane and normal teenage thoughts and not even glance your way. no.gif

The other day at school, I was carrying around my copy of Breaking Dawn, when I sat down next to a girl in my Macintosh Illustration class. She looked over, saw my book, and said "nice choice!". I gave her a half-hearted smile hoped she wouldn't try to discuss the beauty of Edward with me. Thankfully, she hasn't.

All in all...Twilight was a good read, but nothing worth completely obsessing over. I prefer Anne Rice's Louis and Lestat. I like the books and will probably read them multiple times...it's the fanbase that I dislike.

-- Edited by Beetlejess at 08:57, 2008-09-13

Regular Crew

Date:

The writing isn't brilliant, the second and fourth book are rubbish and I would bang the brains out of Edward Cullen. Or Jasper. I'm not fussy... well not Emmett. Maybe Carlise. Jacob, probs.

There are so few fictional male heroes in modern books and he can strike a chord with most teenage girls. He doesn't care Bella (who annoys the crap out of me) is clumsy, plain and kinda nuts; he loves her anyway smile.gif

I'm a hopeless romantic, though I can totally see where you're coming from! I used to like Louis/Lestat but I find Anne Rice's writing a little too purple for me, it's themes a little too much for me (The whole Claudia/love thing and in 'The Vampire Armand', kid sex grosses me out ^^; )

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Most of my mates say the book is actually pretty ridiculos.
Even though i have never read it before the thing with the vampires dont burn in the sun but they sparkle is pretty passive and dull.

Short snippet of my song: Bees Knees

Your eyes they still wail out conflict
But you still think your the bees knees
You keep choking on your vulgar slurs
But in the end it's a comforting pity...
You still like to imagine that you are the bees knees.

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

I think the books seem to basically appeal to those girls still suffering from 'Cinderella Syndrome'. The storyline where a vampire or any other mystical, gorgeous man falls in love with a seemingly normal girl with a few endearing flaws gives them hope that somehow a guy that great could fall into their laps as well.

That's not to say that the writing isn't good enough to draw people (though from the average girl I haven't heard starry-eyed reviews and haven't read them so I can't really judge), just that it gives the same appeal that Louis and Lestat do by providing fantasy eye candy that keeps the person reading even when the story has become boring.

Then again, as someone who doesn't like vampire fiction very much and actually was a little creeped out the first time I heard Stephanie Meyer talk about her inspiration, perhaps my opinion is a bit too far on the merely observant side.

-- Edited by Izil at 19:36, 2008-09-13

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I enjoyed the books very much. I was a huge harry potter fan back in the day, still am sometimes. I guess I just like watered down, safe fantasy novels :)

But the whole team jacob/edward thing that everyone goes on about is annoying.
(however...JACOB!)
I'm waiting to borrow the last one from my friend because basically I just wanna read about them finally having sex. Come on already?! The sexual tension is pissing me off.

hehe.
>.

Regular Crew

Date:

electrosexual wrote:

I enjoyed the books very much. I was a huge harry potter fan back in the day, still am sometimes. I guess I just like watered down, safe fantasy novels :)

But the whole team jacob/edward thing that everyone goes on about is annoying.
(however...JACOB!)
I'm waiting to borrow the last one from my friend because basically I just wanna read about them finally having sex. Come on already?! The sexual tension is pissing me off.

hehe.
>.

Hahaha. She's not as descriptive as Anne Rice in her "sex scenes", but it was still interesting. biggrin

Honoured Mook

Date:

Anne Rice any day. However i'm certain if I can ever get my hands on breaking dawn that I will read it.

-- Edited by apple juliet sherry at 04:11, 2008-09-16

Regular Crew

Date:

**SPOILERS! DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE ENTIRE SERIES YET!**

I just finished Breaking Dawn last night and I have to admit, I cried a little at the end, it was very sweet. I still prefer Anne Rice, but I will definitely re-read the Twilight books. However, I do think it's weird how there are a few similarities between Meyer's book and Rice's books, when I've heard somewhere that Meyer claims to never have read any of Rice's books or watched any vampire movies...

Biggest thing, was the immortal children. Both books talk about immortal children, and in both books, they're forbidden. In The Vampire Chronicles, it was Claudia, and in the Twilight series, it was Renesmee (or was, as thought by the Volturi) and the immortal children that Tanya's mother died for. Another similarity - the idea of some vampires having "powers" like mind-reading. And the last one I can think of at the moment, is the similarity between the Volturi and the Théâtre des Vampires. The way Meyer described their walk through the underground streets of Italy into the Volturi's home, I couldn't help think of Rice's description of Louis and Claudia traveling through the underground home of the Théâtre des Vampires. That, and the fact that both covens are the oldest vampires known to exist, and keep humans in their lairs.

But Renesmee's existence confuses me. According to someone on Yahoo! Answers, Meyer once said that the only bodily fluid vampires have is their venom. Thus, no sperm...so how would Edward impregnate Bella? How would he even get a hard-on, when he has no blood? I guess that was never thought through.

Ah well. I'm off to class now.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Beetlejess wrote:

How would he even get a hard-on, when he has no blood? I guess that was never thought through.

I dont know, sheer will power?

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Well.. they're described as being "hard as marble" or whatever, so technically he's always hard, right...?
No, i know. Bad attempt at a joke.. :)

Date:

Haha.

http://shinga.deviantart.com/art/Head-Trip-Twilight-Sucks-85504254

There's another Twilight related one somewhere in the artist's gallery, but I'm too lazy to track it down. The comments the artist made underneath the picture are just as entertaining :)

-- Edited by Izil at 21:52, 2008-10-07

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

MookyDuchess

Date:

So, I should be avoiding Twilight then. Good.

See my pictures at this site.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

They aren't really so popular in England as they seem to be elsewhere, that or they completely passed me by. I don't know if I can be bothered with them to be honest, but it seems unfair to judge them on all the soppy fangirls. (no offence any mookychick soppy fangirls :P)
I wish I had the time to read anything for fun at the moment!

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Dame of Mooky

Date:

Every time I am in Waterstones I see these books and the covers really grab hold of me, I might just by all of them and sit them on my shelf for a rainy day.

I have plenty embarrassing books, but they are mine so I love them even more.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

"Little Red" Ruby wrote:

They aren't really so popular in England as they seem to be elsewhere, that or they completely passed me by. p>

Well, all my friends & me have read them. & i know loads of other girls that have read them too... We, living in England, and being typical teenage girls... maybe they just completely passed you by :P & in WHsmith at least two of thems are always in the charted books section.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I only just found out what this book series Twilight is about. I have't read any myself to be honest. I love vampire based stories though.

I usually prowl writing websites to read some original stories by unknown writers which I enjoy doing because I write a lot myself. I've noticed there's been a sudden influx of 13-14 year old girls or whatever practically writing their own stories based on this series, and I kinda figured that most of them were just that storyline with a few name changes but the same kind of plot. It's weird.

Honoured Mook

Date:

AnotherHollowLine wrote:

Well.. they're described as being "hard as marble" or whatever, so technically he's always hard, right...?

LMLAO! i am very much in love with Edward and any book having to do with vampires. The Twilight series is my favorite series by far!

and i guess he would always be hard........just saying.

Honoured Mook

Date:
Opinions on the Twilight series

I am in love with vampires, Edward, Rennesme, and the Twilght Series. Right now i am bout to end Breaking Dawn. Wat is everyones opinion on them????

Honoured Mook

Date:

Honestly? Bella is a bit of a Mary Sue (just a tiny bit, but it's there) and the books are badly written, with the editing getting worse as the series progresses. That said, I've read them all, and liked them, but I'm not a gigantic fan.

I am seriously beginning to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

MookyDuchess

Date:
RE: my quest to figure out why teenage girls are so in love with "Twilight"...

Y'see, I've been totally passed by by Twilight, perhaps because I may not be it's target demographic. However, nothing I've read here is making me want to read it. Though I have to admit that every book, to some extent, contains a Mary Sue character, after all if we didn't wish we could be one of the characters, we may not want to read the book.

As for sloppy editing, I noticed that with the Harry Potter books. The bigger the books became, both literally and as a phenomenon, the less the editors seemed to want to tackle J.K. and so the more the books suffered. Personally, I reckon the last Potter book could have done with a couple of chapters dropping and the story restructured so that you didn't miss them.

So, is anyone who has read Twilight excited about the film? What about people who haven't read it?

See my pictures at this site.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

the_aurora_lover wrote:

AnotherHollowLine wrote:

LMLAO! i am very much in love with Edward and any book having to do with vampires. The Twilight series is my favorite series by far!

and i guess he would always be hard........just saying.

Hah. Yeah.. Yeah, thats probably the only reason I started reading them. My friends going on about this Edward dude and how amazing he is, and didn't like not knowing what they were talking about 24/7. xD

And i'm dreading the film, but at the same time can't wait for it. I know they're gunna kill it. Casting director did a bad job. They all look like they're wearing wigs. And if they are, then they should at least be less obvious! And Edward's American accent... Not how i imagined his voice..

Date:

Funny thing is I read somewhere the guy playing Edward said he had no idea how to play him because he was so badly written. So apparently the more he read the script, the more he hated the character and therefore decided to play Edward as a manic-depressive virgin who hates himself.

Personally I will probably never actually see the movie unless I'm flipping channels on the TV one day and happen to come across it when nothing better is on. I see no reason to go see a movie based on a book that barely passes for writing good enough to publish.

Lush Guru

Date:

I won't be going to see the film, I haven't read the books and to be honestly I don't think I will. They just don't sound like my cup of tea and my friend who has practically the same taste in books as I do has read one and said it was balls.

Regular Crew

Date:

I haven't read the book, but I both want to and never want to. I want to mostly out of curiosity. I talk to a lot of people who are obsessed with it and I want to know WHY. I mean, I heard about the sparkly vampires thing and I stopped wanting to read it! Too many parody mangas... Sparkly men in a book just seems like a joke to me... That and I have too much pride as I writer... I don't want to read something that I could write better as a rough draft!

I might end up seeing the movie, well, more like renting... To avoid the bad writing. Movies are less painful to my soul... hehe

Honoured Mook

Date:

I finallt got to borrow it (yay for libraries!) so I can add my two cents. It is not bad enough so I would drop reading, but I will definetly not read the rest of the series. (And yes, the sparkle thing IS highly ridiculous)

And I don,t think I will watch the movie. I generally like books better than films. So, the movie of a book I don't like much as big chances of missing it for me.

Honoured Mook

Date:

i ABSOLUTELY loved it.
but i'm thirteen and don't read much, so yeah.

and the part where edward's skin sparkles in the sun was my favourite!
i was completely engrossed in that whole chapter.

can't wait to get my hands on the next book!

The more seeds you plant, the more flowers will grow.
Size Matters - Natasha Bedingfield
Tumblr & Twitter

1 2 37  >  Last»  | Page of 7  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us