Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: The Great Big Fluffy 'Am I Weird Because...?' Thread.

Honoured Mook

Date:
The Great Big Fluffy 'Am I Weird Because...?' Thread.

...Inspired by something said on a previous thread, I figured that we all need confirmation of the fact that, out there in the world there are actually people with the same quirks as us. Sure, being unique is a good thing, but sometimes you need to know you're not alone.

So, my big weird thing: Am I weird because I feel a bit meh about alcohol?
I actually don't get the attraction of throwing up everywhere after telling everyone you love them. Which is kinda a problem seen as I've got a feeling I'm going to be the token sober (boring?) one at every party this summer.
I mean, yeah, I'll have a drink. I might even consider slowly dripping my way to drunkenness. But I will never ever down shots with the point of getting fucked. Surely that ain't right? I'l;l have wine at home with family, and I'll drink beer at gigs if anyone wants to buy me some. But I won't go out of my way to imbibe liquor. On leaving day, we all went to a friends house, and her and my best friend decided to work their way through her dad's spirit collection, eventually drinking half a bottle of bright purple homemade gin (we assume) between them. She threw up everywhere, stinking out the shed, and my best friend went into a weird trance and starting hitting her. Luckily, there was me and two other close friends to keep an eye on them (the fact that Kay was reduced to tears because of the throwing up and Jess has a phobia of vomit wasn't helpful, I found it quite funny at first until a neighbour threatened to call the police. Then it just got irritating especially as we three were knackered anyway.) But also three of my friends were beaten up on that night by violent drunks, and it just made me wonder what the point was.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could drive, then I'd have a good excuse to stay sober, but I just feel like a bit of a party pooper for not drinking that much. I mean, I enjoy drinking. I just absolutely can't stand drunkenness. Perhaps I should become a Quaker?! On the plus side, our little sober trio from leaving day made a pact not to drink without food until we were actually legally old enough to drink.

Yeah...perhaps this shoulda gone in rent a rant? Well, tell me if i am weird or not, and if you are one of those people who does love to be drunk, then tell me why and see if you can turn me to your point of view. I'm open as per.

And ask us if you're weird too. Bet you ten pence you're not!

MookyDuchess

Date:

I don't drink any more either, except for the odd glass of wine now and then. I just stopped enjoying being drunk. No fun.

I have an odd sort of OCD thing, where if I'm wandering round town, I have to go in a circle to wherever I'm going, so I don't double back on myself. So, I'd wander up one street and back home down another. Or even just opposite sides of the street. Going back on myself just seems a waste of effort...

See my pictures at this site.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Yeah, I've stopped drinking. I messed up big about 3 weekends ago, and now... I just don't see the point. It's expensive, and it makes you smell and feel like an asshat in the morning. Not fun. I'm "straight edge" these days, haha.

I have this odd cycle of depresion... it seems like every two months or so, I sink so deep it feels like I'll never escape. It lasts for about two weeks (so it should be lifting pretty quick here), and then one day it's just gone. It's very strange, because I have very little to be depressed about. I'm pretty good about just riding it out now...

Kitty, I'm really similar when it comes to walking around town. I dislike going the same way twice. Also, if I have time to kill before an event or something, I'll wander down streets and try to find a "new" way to get where I'm going. It's a good thing I live in a smallish town, or I would probably get lost.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I don't drink either, I don't see how getting smashed out of your brain and sick as in the morning is any more fun than partying sober at all. I like to keep my wits about me at parties. Plus you can remember all the dumb and embarassing shit people did through the night in the morning - but they can't!!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Wahey, glad I've found like minded people! We should have a soberness party, full of dashing wit and fruit juice cocktails (pomegranate, orange and ginger...mmmmmm....)

Hmm, I've never considered the walking thing before, mainly cos I have no sense of direction what so ever, so it would probably result in me getting myself lost in the red light bit of our town where all the venues are! Might try it if I'm in a group tho...I have wandered round london's east end quite a lot, trying to find brick lane (look, I can't read maps and the signs were pitiful, alright? I know it's stonking massive now, but I still lost Spitalfields. And st pancras, once...) Wandering round london is fun!

Regular Crew

Date:

I do still drink but rarely with the intention to get drunk anymore, however, it does still happen, i am little and a girl and a lightweight lol!
But I have been through drinking disgusting drinks purely to get drunk and it is so not fun, I drink drinks I like the taste of and a nice glass of wine.
I have also in bad time turned to drink to solve my problems and all it did for me was put me in a state of unawarness till waking up the next morning, all i can say is thank god i have such good friends and now learning from all these things i am sensible with alcohol and enjoy it not drink my body weight in it haha!
I commend you for your ethics with alcohol, its an admirable thing!
x

Honoured Mook

Date:

Well my entire dad, my two brother's my most likely future step mom and her kids were all there and I wanted my dad to let me try some of the merlot she was drinking. He actually offered but it was a joke. I asked him two more times and he said no. So it's no loss except I will never know what Merlot taste like.

Regular Crew

Date:

I am the only person out of my friends (except one other) that has never been drunk. Damn near everyone else i know drinks regularly (every friday/saturday/both days or whatever). Most of them have passed out from it at least once.

Im 14, nearly 15. Shows how no-one seems to be able to have fun without alcohol, and why the government is getting worried about it (not that they would ever be able to stop it).

It's also one reason i like being unpopular - no parties etc. =i wont become a teenage alcoholic =] Not that theres anything wrong with a little drink, but bingeing is rather stupid in my opinion.

HOWEVER am i wierd because despite what i just said, sometimes i actually want to go and get drunk? Mostly just for the experience, and curiosity, having never done it. (Then i remember my parents would never let me stay out that late unless i was at someone's house that they knew, and i wouldnt have anyone to be with anyway...)

As for the walking different ways, i don't know my way round some parts of my titchy town, i'd never survive in London.

That was a long and possibly boring post. Sorry. I might actually have missed my point entirely.

Lush Guru

Date:

Let's have the other side of the coin.

I LOVE drinking.
I don't drink things I don't like the taste of, but I do drink and get drunk, and sometimes drink to get drunk because I actually enjoy being drunk. Yes, hangovers are bad but some people don't get them, I don't get them every time I drink and they go pretty fast anyway.

I've proved I can still have fun without drink, but it was definitely a different type of fun. Sometimes drunk people are really fucking annoying, and if you aren't one of them you really, REALLY notice them.

Regular Crew

Date:

I like that "other side of the coin" too. I like going out with friends and having a few drinks and becoming just silly. Now, its been a few years and I have found out my tolerance to booze. So when the thought of another drink turns my stomach all wiggly I switch to water. (helps out in the morning too) The idea of getting smashed out of your mind and waking up feeling like death crawled down your throat and nestled into your stomach, does not get me all riled up to drink myself into oblivion. However; some days you just need that to let yourself know that there is worse. *grumbles about breakups, demotions, and other mishaps of unfortunate events*

But the topic of quirks... I only eat with small spoons if I can, don't touch fleece, avoid walking on cracks, man-hole covers, grates on the sidewalks, the glass blocks on a walkway and different colored tiles if possible. I also straighten shelves at stores sparatically. And will avoid public bathrooms unless it is an emergency.

And go Ker-Slpat.
~By Me

Honoured Mook

Date:

Oh and my wierdness is the compulsive daydreaming and the paranoia as well as the growing distrust toward teenage boys and girls i'm developing. I know, i'm on my way to being a very messed up person.

-- Edited by apple juliet sherry at 05:30, 2008-05-27

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I like objects to have a good spacial relationship. I don't mean symmetry, that's good, but there are other ways to have a good set up. So my desk has things at extremes (very close or very far away to each other, proximity to edges and the way it looks with the architecture) and always well balanced.

It just feels right.

MookyDuchess

Date:

I used to love drinking and drinking used to love me. I love the taste of almost every single alcoholic drink (except perhaps sherry), I love them all and I would like nothing better than to spend my life drinking. But, hangovers that last the whole weekend, a steadily growing dependance, and an increasingly growing dislike of the person I became when I was drunk stopped me. (My alcoholic years were fun.)

I like to think that all inanimate objects have some sort of soul or personality, which is why they sometimes, sporadically, play up. I think you should be nice to things.

Honoured Mook

Date:

apple juliet sherry wrote:

Well my entire dad...So it's no loss except I will never know what Merlot taste like.

As opposed to just a part of your dad?! And merlot tastes kind of rich...bit meh, in my opinion...I'm a white wine girl!

Family came round for lunch yesterday. Drunk sparkling rose. Had headache. Tho that could also have been down to the white wine with dinner and the large amount of brandy in the pud...rose is the drink of satan. Along with blue WKD. Quite proud that I do actually have some alcohol tolerance tho...

Lush Guru

Date:

I know my limits and generally don't push them but yeah sometimes you just want to get wasted and be ridiculous.
Fuck it, I'm still young so it's allowed. Binge drinking? PAH I SAY.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Someone on televions said recently "Binge drinking? Isn't that what we used to call drinking?"

I like intoxication but I prefer to intoxicate myself with just a glass or two of wine, a lickle spliff and maybe a dab of something else. Hits it from every angle! And, it's probably a lot healthier...

Regular Crew

Date:

I've just gone back an re-read what i wrote. I think ive changed my mind since then. Or maybe i was just in a bad mood.

Maybe my 'quirk' is my indecisiveness, and my ability to piss people off with it...
Although judging by the lack of normal people i hang around with, there must be more in there somewhere.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

i think were all weird in our own special ways! whether you drink or not will never change that! i cant remember a day iv been sober in a long time i feel sick but i no ill carry on again tonight and tomorrow and so on cos my lifes a bit messy and i think its gna be for a loooong time haha!

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

am i wierd because... i constanly feel like everyone instantly rejects me when i talk to them, although its probably because i can't hold a conversation and eye contact makes me nervous... i never feel like i fit in, even when everyone around is making the effort to involve me.

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Lollypo.... only recently, i've started doing the exact same thing. I can't talk anymore to people, it's really hard. I just keep thinking this too shall pass. Or at least i hope so.

Liv

My Tumblr :)

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

i, personally, think its a confidence thing, and i actually think that its because of bullying at school (in my case) When im faced with people, even people i know, i can't seem to think of anything to say, it's crippling to the confidence, tbh.

MookyDuchess

Date:

Did anyone watch the last Derren Brown? He took a very shy person and turned him into a much better and more confident person. It was interesting, especially if you can learn those techniques. :)

Regular Crew

Date:

I've slowly become more confident with myself since I graduated high school. But I push myself to do things that are outside of my comfort zone. I learned that in the very first college class I took. Basically I figure I can talk to anyone, even the gorgeous boys in their fancy schmancy suits. When I am in just jeans and a t-shirt, have short pink hair, and a few piercings (I find it funny how you change your appearance to something "wild" and everyone but toddlers become scared of you). A smile goes a long way. But I figure if I never say anything, are they going to remember me? Nope. So what am I actually going to loose? Nothing. I didn't know them before, and if they don't see what a wonderful person the little mop headed punk girl is in front of them, fuck 'em its not like I lost anyting. I mean I may get embarassed, but hey it didn't kill me! And its not that horrible. I'm not saying its easy for me (half the time I am scared shitless), but I push myself to go out there and show everyone the courage I have. No big deal if they don't like me, I really didn't loose anything by getting rejected from a stranger I didn't know in the first place, now did I? Meh, thats my weird messed up way of thinking tho.

My moto as of late has been "Whatever happens, happens. Deal with it as it comes."

-- Edited by Majiktia at 16:50, 2008-06-01

And go Ker-Slpat.
~By Me

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

It's weird. i find, when i feel nervous, i really WANT to say something, i want to talk and relax, but I can never think of anything to say. At all. People look at me, trying to encourage me to talk, but i'm not being shy, I just have nothing to say.

Liv

My Tumblr :)

Regular Crew

Date:

Yeah, that happens. I ussually just ramble about nothing, and its ussually a funny story. I love comedy. I am refered to by my friends as the "comic relief". And if you are not sure what to say, say that. Something like, "I don't know what to say." That will ussually get them to ask you questions, ussually its a "why?". And tell them why. Voila a conversation has started! hehe it might not be full of intelligent deep thoughts, but your talking and it will get easier from there on out.

And go Ker-Slpat.
~By Me

Honoured Mook

Date:

Fat Penguin: tat's one way to break the ice.

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

i know exactly what you mean Tammy. If someone's babbling away at me, then they stop for some intelligent imput from moi, i freeze, and usually go 'yeah, but...well..' and then give what i think is a reasonable answer. then there will be an awkward pause, until they think of something else to say, and grr. But also, although it's very hard to offend me, unless they're strictly homophobic, if someone over-uses sarcasm, or puts people down in an un-obvious way, i get so wound up its untrue, so then its a grin and talk nicely untill they piss off.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

i saw that derran brown one! it was absolutly incredible! i think it shows to become confident about who you are, you have to do things that you would normally be too afraid to do...you only live once...although saying that not sure i could eat glass!

MookyDuchess

Date:

Just replying to someone on the welcome board and it struck me that one way you can get over this conversation thing is, at a party, if stuck for something to say, ask a random question. I've been doing it for ages on here. For a start, it makes you look incredible mooky and interesting and the sort of off the wall character that people should be inviting to more parties and secondly, it gives people something other than the usual to talk about. How many people get asked what they do for a living at parties? Loads, and they're probably dulled to bits talking about it. How many people are asked what their favourite soup is? Or if they prefer gibbons to baboons?

And the good thing is, anyone who doesn't know how to answer, or thinks such questions are dull or stupid, aren't worth wasting your time over and should be rightly avoided. As they will avoid that nutty girl who was asking whether Jaffa Cakes can be dunked... :)

Mind you, I never get invited to parties, so...

Regular Crew

Date:

i prefer spider monkeys :P and lemurs lol asking random questions is good, so is giving people compliments - thats how i met my best uni friends :P it gives you something to say if you dont know them and they get a confidence boost :D

ANYWAY i want to know if i have a sign on me that says SAVE ME because in the past 2 days i have had 7 religions try and convert me/make me give up all material possessions etc. does that make me weird or just an easy target?

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us