Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: What have you been watching recently?

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
What have you been watching recently?

I've seen a bunch of gifs from Vikings - might watch it next. I just finished Broad City. It was ok. The parts where it was good were really really good, but it fell flat for me a couple times. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had the same relationship to sex as the main characters.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I really recommend it! Vikings does this annoying thing of doing huge time skips (weeks/months/years) without a clear indication of how much time has passed, but beyond that I really love it.

I was actually thinking about watching Broad City but was worried about it for basically the same reason.

Right now, I'm watching Bob's Burgers, which really, really, really makes me want a cheeseburger to feed my inner Tina.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Roommates and I marathoned Stranger Things last weekend and I'm still thinking about how good it was!! Hit (almost) all of my needs - Winona Ryder kicking ass, intense beautiful visuals, spooky parallel universes, kids portrayed as kids, D&D. I'm still mad about what they did to Barb tho.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Fargo, season 2!

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

I loved Vikings and still have one season to go! All the feels for Lagatha, Floki and everyone, really. I agree, it seems to be presenting Christianity and paganism and new/old in a way that focus on how change happens and affects communities rather than good/bad. Friends tell me it isn't fully historically accurate but it's presenting history to me in a way I can soak up and relate to, which I appreciateWe. Also, guyliner.

We beasted through Stranger Things in around three days. Utterly satisfying. It seemed like a courageous role for Winona Ryder to take and she owns it. It makes me wonder if people are experiencing a reaction against dystopia and would rather have a lot more light shed on any darkness.

I am surprised out how well Fargo turned out as a TV series.

I've been watching The Living and the Dead, and the dialogue can be a bit ripe, but I'm enjoying the supernatural Victorian setting, the themes of progress, the folk horror atmosphere and OH WOW THE MUSIC. *edit: I think the band for this series is called The Insects, I will need to check them out.

-- Edited by Magda Mookychick on Friday 29th of July 2016 02:16:08 PM

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

"It makes me wonder if people are experiencing a reaction against dystopia and would rather have a lot more light shed on any darkness." well now I've got to write an essay about how we're living in a cyberpunk dystopia but unlike people in 1980 [I'm guessing? older mooks, pls confirm :P] thought, we're actually using the cyber part to combat dystopia by making/sharing stuff like Stranger Things & Pokemon Go.

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

^Interesting! 1980s cyberpunk riffed off 'information is power' and 'information should be free' quite a lot, so dystopian systems tended to be challenged by tech and information in the hands of rebels and indviduals. I think entertainment like Stranger Things & Pokemon Go is just lovely. I remember entertainment in cyberpunk fiction often taking the form of drugs, which makes me think of the soma in Brave New World... drugs as activators, break-freers and exploration tools, but also as passive happifiers... sorry, this probably doesn't help at all, it's just my curly tired brain noodling around the idea :)

EDIT: In a way, the most cyberpunk things I can think of are Anonymous and Wikileaks. But... well... because these are so dystopian, I'm thrilled that you're exploring the angle of things like Stranger Things and Pokemon in terms of light against the darkness!

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Stranger Things hits me in the nostalgia feels, it's like eating something familiar and delicious!

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

re: Stranger Things - I'm making a fanzine! It's open to any creative expression related to ST. I'm hoping to get it printed in time for the next con I'm going to, so if you want to write/draw something for it, you can email it to me [invizig0thmail@gmail.com] by aug 16. & ofc you'll get it a copy when it's done :)

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us