Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Vegetarian Recipe Thread!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: Vegetarian Recipe Thread!

I had meat craving issues for the first couple of weeks of been veggie (I've successfully been veggie for three months), particularly bacon, which I used to always eat. My only real advice is Quorn, and lots of it.

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

Honoured Mook

Date:

I don't get meat cravings too often, but I've always chalked it up to my menstrual cycle (I cycle irregularly - every few months). Normally they are accompanied by similar cravings for chocolate, kittens, and algebra. I try to eat well and exercise, and I've found that regular multivitamin supplements help by stabilizing my mood when the Red Fairy visits (to a degree!) and reducing many of my cravings.

His lips were blue.
Well, I guess they were pink, but they looked blue and I couldn't help but notice how they matched his eyes.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Sounds lovely! I loves this thread :)

I'm pasting in my Halloween Stew recipe as it seemed popular and I'm knackered right now so I can't think of anything else.

It's extremely simple but it's tasty and it honestly looks incredible, big pot of orange and green and purple!!

Ingredients - 3 big carrots (or a fair measure of squash, pumpkin, or a mix of them - organic is best for crazy strong colours!), 1 very large potato or two medium (preferably golden skinned of some form), 1 stick of celery, 1 small red onion, 1 knob of butter (or coconut oil if going vegan), 1/2 a pint of vegetable stock, 1 cup of barley (uncooked measurement)

Steam the carrots and potatoes til very soft, then leave to cool for a while. Blend them both, potatoes first (it's easier). Set the barley to boil for about 45 mins, then strain and add the stock. Chop the celery and onion into fine little tiny pieces, and fry in the butter/ oil, onions first, until the onions are pink-clear. Add the blended veg to the pan, then slowly add the barely-stock mix while stirring. Simmer for about 15 minutes (or more if the barley wasn't quite soft yet.) Add black pepper, nutmeg and thyme generously. It's a little time consuming but you can go back and forth, and it's really good fun and extremely satisfying if you're up for an afternoon in and out of the kitchen. As I said it's simple but it works so well! Thrilled I wrote the recipe down while I was going...

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^I'm actually making it again right now, everything's cooked and cooling, just have to blend it all and go from there... It's fucking FREEZING out today so I'm hoping it'll fill mah tummy fulla fire (and happies)!!

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ That really does sound wonderful! And it's exactly the kind of meal I need now that I've gone vegan! I'm getting myself a blender soon and I think this is going to be one of the first things I'll use it for :)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew any simple recipe for vegan pumpkin soup (and other pumpkin stuff doable for someone who's only starting to learn to cook!). Of course I've tried googling but I'd prefer advice from you wise people ;)

Pony Frenzy

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My pumpkin soup recipe is basically just chunks of pumpkin, spiced and cooked down with onions and garlic, then using stock and a dash of cream and sherry simmered until it thickens. I'm afraid I don't know a lot about vegan cookery, but I've wondered for a while if coconut milk instead of cream would be tasty, does that sound appealing? It's all in the spices, anyway: lots of clove, cinnamon, nutmeg and a dash of sherry makes all squash very tasty.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I'll get back to you in a few weeks when the pumpkins hit the shops over here. I make a GREAT pumpkin soup, trial and error ver several years... But I always forget what I've done with it so it tends to change a bit every year. Put smply, key ingredients - stock, barely (again, I love the stuff!), curry powder and a hit of syrup! Honestly, it's amazing! And do save your pumpkin seeds, give em a good proper wash, and roast them with a weeny bit of salt. Sprinkle over the top of your soup - perfection!

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^That pumpkin seed idea sounds lovely! I'm going to have to try that.

I don't have anything to add here (I'm rubbish! I exist on smoothies and bready products) but I have some questions for you lovely ladies.

1. I had the most incredible butternut soup a few weeks ago. I have no idea what else was in it but it was perfect. I'm planning on making my own but before I turn to google, do any of you ladies have recipes you wouldn't mind sharing?

2. I rarely get meat cravings (sometimes those Chinese sticky ribs catch my eye...) but I miss chicken in a huge way. I haven't eaten meat for lord knows how long but the craving hasn't gone away. KFC type chicken especially. I made this a while ago which tasted very similar, but it seemed like the recipe was making things a bit more complicated than they needed to be. Do any of you lovelies have anything similar to share? xx

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Yaaaaaaaayy! I don't really buy soya milk any more so I'll probably try a non-vegan version first... Thanks!

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

soundsofdentage wrote:

1. I had the most incredible butternut soup a few weeks ago. I have no idea what else was in it but it was perfect. I'm planning on making my own but before I turn to google, do any of you ladies have recipes you wouldn't mind sharing?

My host Calf has a lowfat version that we inhale every week (had it last night for tea with Tuna Sandwiches, Cheese and Onion sandwiches, and tortilla chips, and it was amazing). I'll get it on here as soon as I can.

"Just because someone doesnt love you the way you want them to doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have." -- Truman Capote

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Butternut Squash Soup

This recipe was swiped from an out-of-date WeightWatchers book and ammended.

1 teaspoon EVOO or if you have a sprayer, enough pumps to lube the pan
1 onion finely chopped
600g Butternut squash (pumpkin can also be used!) peeled, deseeded, cubed
2 carrots peeled and cubed
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 pints of vegetable stock roughly 7 cubes of Veg Oxo
1 tablespoon of vegetable puree we use the kind you refrigerate in the tube
1 tablespoon freshly parsley chopped
2 tablesppons water
salt
freshly ground pepper

Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently cook the onion for 5 minutes

Add the pumpkin, carrots, ginger, and chili and stir. Cook for 5 minutes, adding the water midway through to keep things from sticking

Add the stock and puree to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.

We like to prepare this in advance, so that after it cools, we can refrigerate it and serve it the next day.

Blend the mixture until smooth.

Return to a saucepan and reheat, sprinkled with parsley.

"Just because someone doesnt love you the way you want them to doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have." -- Truman Capote

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Right now I'm in the flexitarian stage of my ovo-vegetarian transition. I'm going to have my first vegetarian Halloween and will be having veg. pizza consisting of spinach, broccoli, basil, and garlic. No cheese of course.

I want to also try Alligator's Butternut Squash Soup.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I am about to begin attempting another leftover/ sightly-not-fresh veg soup, of roasted vine tomatoes, courgettes, chilli an coconut milk. I suppose I'll need stock and possibly couscous to thicken it all up a bit. Will post full recipe if it's a success!

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My current favourite thing is sweet potato, chickpea and spinach curry. Gently cook the sweet potato, then add onion, garlic, ginger and chilli, cook until the onion is soft. Then add the chickpeas and some tomatoes until it's quite liquidy, then add spinach, a bit of creamed coconut, coriander and lime. Cook covered until thickened and spicy and delicious. It's utterly nommy.

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

^^^I have all those things! That's my dinner for tomorrow.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

It's all kinds of tastygood! Just make sure you don't do what I do, which is think 'Oh, the coconut I'll dilute it, and I love spicy things, let's put in ALL OF THE CHILLI!' It was astonishingly awesome, but I've got a cough at the moment, which the chilli did nothing to soothe!

-- Edited by Aenigma on Tuesday 16th of October 2012 05:30:42 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Good gosh, that sounds delicious. We recently discovered that watercress is AMAZING in curry, so I might try adding some of that too :D

In regards to butternut squash soups, my absolute favourite is a butternut squash and lime soup I made up (at least, it's almost certainly been made before, but I came up with this off my own back and it's lovely: really warming and fruity, and a beautiful colour. You need:

An onion, chopped
Two cloves of garlic (or more, because I love garlic), chopped or crushed
A butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and chopped
A potato, chopped (optional; makes the soup a little thicker if you prefer it that way)
An apple, chopped (optional; enhances the fruitiness of the soup)
A lime
A lemon, or a bottle of lemon juice
Stock, or water and stock powder/cubes
Seasonings aplenty.

Fill the kettle and boil it. Gently fry the onion and garlic in a little oil in the bottom of a saucepan, then just before they start to brown add the squash, and the potato and apple if using. Stir to prevent sticking, and let everything fry for five minutes or so. Make your stock and add it to the pan; enough to cover all the veg, plus maybe an inch or so more. Partially cover, and let it simmer until everything's soft and you can cut through it with a knife. Squeeze the juice of a full lime into the pan, then blend (I use a stick blender). Season to taste and add lemon juice if you think it needs to be fruitier. Then put it in your face (when it's a suitable temperature).

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Aenigma wrote:

My current favourite thing is sweet potato, chickpea and spinach curry. Gently cook the sweet potato, then add onion, garlic, ginger and chilli, cook until the onion is soft. Then add the chickpeas and some tomatoes until it's quite liquidy, then add spinach, a bit of creamed coconut, coriander and lime. Cook covered until thickened and spicy and delicious. It's utterly nommy.

Claire I ripped you off and made this into Sweet Potato Chili. I replaced the chickpea with red beans and added a pinch of cayenne and paprika.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

This is the chunky tomato and chilli soup as mentioned above, it came out gorgeous! It's vegan, gluten-free (as long as use use a GF stock cube and replace the cous cous with a tiny bit of cornstarch), and can be made entirely with leftover or none-too-ripe vegetables and cupboard ingredients. Plus it's extremely easy, comforting winter food, and you don't even need a blender!

4 large vine tomatoes
1 large peeled courgette
1/2 a red onion, finely chopped
1 can of kidney beans
1 stock cube
Teaspoon of raw coconut oil
A small amount of coconut milk - depending on how liquidy your soup is already
2-3 tablespoons of cous-cous
Basil, thyme, chilli, paprika

Chop the first three ingredients and whack them in an oven dish with the coconut oil. Roast for thirty minutes.
Mash with a potato masher, add the spices, and roast for another 10 minutes.
Transfer to a pot (optional, but easier), add the stock cube and just a splash of water, then add the beans.
Add the final two ingredients - usually a 1/4 can of coconut milk will do for nice orange colour and creamy texture. Add less or more as desired. Ad extra cous cous if you want extra coconut milk.
Simmer for a few minutes until the cous cous is nice and plump
That's it! :)

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

MarshmallowNoise wrote:
I want to also try Alligator's Butternut Squash Soup.

Let me know if you do, love to hear what you think.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

MarshmallowNoise wrote:
Aenigma wrote:

Claire I ripped you off and made this into Sweet Potato Chili. I replaced the chickpea with red beans and added a pinch of cayenne and paprika.

Ooh, sounds lovely! I shall have to try this variation, thank you!

I had a pub dinner, which I've done too much recently, but it was damn tasty. 

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm definitely going to make some butternut squash soup soon after reading these recipes. :D

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've been tinkering for a while, and I now have my favourite butternut squash soup recipe. It involves squash, sweet potato, fennel, onion fried up together with garlic, chilli and ginger, then with stock, dash of white wine and coconut milk added and simmered until it's all thick and sticky. Just before serving, add lime and coriander. It's lovely and light but still very satisfying. I keep making it at the moment because it's so good.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I made Piglet's potato bake last week and it was delicious! Even my picky boyfriend enjoyed it!

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ Although I fudged the recipe a little bit, I made that potatobake tonight, and it was mighty good.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hello veggies and vegans, can anyone help me out with a little dilemma I'm having? My boyfriend is a vegan and he's currently got a sore throat and bad cough. He hates cough medicine/sweets and won't touch it. I also can't give him honey and lemon for obvious reasons. Has anyone got anything that they could recommend we could use to sooth his throat a little? Preferably something that doesn't taste awful! Thanks! :)

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Does lemon and agave syrup not work? [Apologies if it's not actually vegan, I'm quite bad at remembering what's vegan and what's not!]

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hmm I didn't think of that. Good idea Clurr, thanks. :D

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Agave is vegan but it won't help a sore throat at all. Liqorice (REAL liqorice, that is) or colidal silver, or ivy-thyme tincture can all help sore throats, but they're a little steep.

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Honoured Mook

Date:

Veg recipes, yay!

I mostly throw together whatever veggies I have and call it a stir-fry (with a little garlic, chili and hoisin sauce you can really do worse), but in winter I like something a little more substantial.
What goes really well together is leek and "cheese" sauce. I'll turn it into soup as well.

You need:

2-3 tablespoons of flour
the same amount of dairy-free margarine
nooch to taste, about 2 tablespoons (nooch is nutritional yeast that can be found in health food stores, I mostly get it from the supplement aisle in my local drugstore because dm drugstores are awesome like that.)
a little mustard
salt, pepper, nutmeg (nutmeg is optional)
vegetable stock

leek (1-2 pieces)

First, you melt the margarine in a large pot or a pan with high walls. Then you cut the leek into slices and fry it a bit.
Sprinkle it with the flour, mix thouroughly and fry some more. (You have just made a light roux, yay for you!)
Now, add the nooch and the spices, mix it again and pour in the cold stock (or just add cold water and instant stock). Pull it off the stove to stir and dissolve the flour-nooch-margarine mixture. Put it back on the stove when it's mostly dissolved.
If you want to make a thick sauce, just use enough liquid to cover the vegetables. If you want it to become soup, use more stock.
Add the mustard, bring to a boil and then let it simmer until it has thickened a bit.

Eat on its own or over rice/boiled potatoes/spuds.

Pro tip: If you add mushrooms, it's even more yummy. I think it would also work well with cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and other kinds of cabbage, but I haven't tried yet.

If you just make the roux and then throw in nooch, mustard and spices and a little stock, you get a wonderful cheese replacement for pizza, lasagna, noodle bake, tuna melt, raclette ... whatever. It even develops a crust of some sort when put in the oven. :)
Also, you can decide how savoury you want it to be by playing with the ingredients. If you omit the mustard and nutmeg, or if you decide to go easy on the nooch, it will turn out to be less savoury and softer - good if you prefer a mozzarella-ish cheese crust. I'm a nooch addict and I like strong taste, so I tend to go overboard on it with the spices and yeast.

-- Edited by chilimoon on Monday 8th of April 2013 06:55:03 PM

You don't know me.
Never will never will

I'm outside your picture frame ...
... and the glass is breaking. 

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us