Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Vegetarian Recipe Thread!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
RE: Vegetarian Recipe Thread!

As we all know I am not a veggie although I do love their food. Heres a great Chocolate Mud Cake Recipe. Its vegan by the way :)

Serves 8-10
Description cake, vegan
Time to prepare 1 hour approx
Ingredients 125g (4 ounces) soft vegan margarine
1 cup castor sugar (or you can use a sugar alternative if preferred)
1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla essence
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup hot water
2 teaspoons (10ml) fresh lemon juice
1 cup soya milk
1 3/4 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Instructions 1. Cream margarine, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Blend the cocoa in the hot water and gradually add to the marg/sugar mixture.
2. add the lemon juice to the milk to sour it.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and add it to the creamed mixture alternately with the soured milk. Mix thoroughly.
4. spoon the cake mixture into greased and floured 8" cake pan and bake in a moderate oven (180 deg. C) for 30-40 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly pressed.
5. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Turn out and allow to cool before icing.
6. Ice with your favourite icing. I like plain white icing sugar/water and sprinkled with coconut. Its not neccessary but if you can wait, the cake matures and cuts better the second day

Enjoy :)

The universe is like one be old book. Full of chapters. Humans are but a "page"

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

One of my favourite things of all time, mixed mushroom stroganoff.

I found it on the Vegetarian Society website ages ago and I love it

1tbsp virgin olive oil
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
6oz / 150g large open mushrooms, sliced
6oz / 150g open cup mushrooms, quartered
6oz / 150g closed cup mushrooms, halved
6oz / 150g button mushrooms
6oz / 150g chestnut mushrooms, thickly sliced
½pint / 250ml semi-skimmed milk
¼pint / 190ml white wine
4tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
3 tbsp cornflour
4tbsp fresh soured cream
To serve: cooked brown rice (allow 2oz / 50g per person)
To garnish: sprig of fresh parsley

1. Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the spring onions and garlic for 2 minutes.

2. Stir in all the mushrooms, milk, wine, parsley and seasoning and bring slowly to the boil. Cover, then simmer gently for 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, blend the cornflour with a little cold water until smooth, then stir into the mushrooms. Bring to the boil, stirring. Remove from heat then stir in the soured cream. Return to the heat and heat through gently but do not allow mixture to boil. Serve with cooked brown rice and a green salad. Garnish with parsley

Om nom nom :)

twitter

Regular Crew

Date:

my Lazy Tasty fast Pasta

Lazy Tasty Fast Pasta (vegetarian friendly, 2-4 servings, depending on how greedy/hungry you are!)

You will need:

To do:

• Boil your pasta for 10ish minutes
  • Pop the Quorn in the microwave (follow the packet instructions - 6ish minutes)
  • Drain off the pasta. Dump the Quorn in with pasta and mix, empty the whole jar of pesto in and heat through for a minute or so on the hob.
  • Dish up, with a sprinkling of grated cheese.

Yummy and moreish!

http://www.anticelebrity.net/blog/2009/10/11/come-dine-with-me-easy-lazy-tasty-recipe.html

DiscountTiarasUK.com Beautiful Tiaras. Low Prices. Without Compromise.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I don't like most meats so my diet is primarily vegetarian, and I'm lactose and wheat intolerant which is an added complication.
One of my favourite quick and easy wheat-free and lactose-free meals is made using courgette/zucchini, one of my favourite ingredients. I particularly like this with a tomato sauce, but just in general use it as an alternative to pasta!

• Grab a courgette (or as many as you want), chop off each end, and use a vegetable peeler to make thin strips. You can also slice these so that they look like noodles.
  • Fry them in a little bit of oil until they start to turn clear and go soft, then take them out of the pan. Done! Easy substitute for pasta.

I've also used these layered as a replacement for the pasta sheets in lasagne with soya mince.

-- Edited by Icks on Monday 18th of January 2010 05:01:27 PM

:)

Regular Crew

Date:

@Icks: Oh my goodness! No meat, no dairy, and no wheat? You goddess! You marvel! Wow!

I made this simple curry last night because I've been taking care of my little brother due to Mum's trip to Ohio, and they were really low on groceries... I had a half a tin of tomatoes open from making spaghetti sauce previously which I wanted to use lest it go bad. I didn't want anything bla, so I invented a spicy dish. Have no fear, my eleven year old sibling liked it, and so did I, so it seems like it's something that conservative young'uns will appreciate, as long with we adventurous old people.
Here's my young brother's endorsement:
Me: Did you like the curry last night?
Him: uh huh. *nods, while staring at his computer screen*
Me: so it was good?
Him: yep.
Me: Is that all you have to say about that?
Him: sure... *a moment passes and he pauses his game* yeah, Astoria, the curry was great. Really fantastic. Can I get back to my game now?
lol I just thought I'd share that, I found it funny.

RECIPE:

One tin of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
One half tin (large can size)
Depending on how much you like peas, between 3/4-1 cup of frozen peas
One chopped onion
Some oil (spray-on is what I used)
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
3/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon marjoram
a little less than 1 teaspoon Hot Madras Curry Powder (or just a little fenugreek, cumin, and turmeric, if you don't have HMCP lol)
between 1/2 and 1 teaspoon of chili powder
less than 1/4 teaspoon of garlic (I just scooped some up on the tip of my knife)

First, sauteé the onions in the oil over high heat (you can go ahead and do that right in the pot you'll use for the rest of the curry). When the onions are a little browned, dump the tomatoes in, followed by the garbanzo beans. Add 1/4 teaspoon cardamom, 3/4 teaspoon coriander, 1/4 teaspoon marjoram, a little less than 1 teaspoon Hot Madras Curry Powder and chili powder to taste. Stir it, obviously, then let it simmer, covered, for eons and eons (if you'd like to time that, that's about... meh? ten minutes? I'm an impatient person). Add your peas and simmer (covered) for another ten minutes, fifteen minutes. Then, get out your blender or food processor (love love love) and ladle about half of the mixture into the blending equipment. Add about 1/8 cup water. Purée until approximately smooth (this doesn't have to be perfect...), and then dump (lovely word) the puréed goodness back into your pan along with the unpuréed stuff. Mix it all up and serve. I served it with boiled potatoes due to lack of much else, but I had been planning to serve it with brown rice. Really, anything you typically eat curry with would go great with this stuff, methinks.

Hee hee hee, what an evil plot I have...
wait, that was four...
five... oh crap.

Regular Crew

Date:

HUMMUS

If you love hummus then you'll love this recipe

Ingredients:
1 can of Chick peas
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons of tahini
2 tablespoons of olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Whiz in a food processor. Voila you're done!
Eat on toast, use for dips, pizza base anything really.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My mum is a fucking awesome cook, and since I was little she's made these amazing veggie sausages - Glamorgan sausages, apparently - every so often. I actually beg her to make them nowadays because they are probably one of my favourite foods in the world. I thought it was about time I learnt how to make them myself, and texted her asking for the recipe. I received this email back...not only is it a wonderful recipe but it gave me a good giggle, so I thought I'd share :)

"Glamorgan Isnt-It?

Breadcrumbs
Grated cheese
Chopped leek (or chive/parsley but then it isnt Welsh, bach)
Egg to bind
Seasoning.

Mix all together. If you have time, put it in fridge to stiffen up before rolling into sausages and, for perfection, coating in any remaining crumbs before frying gently all over.

You could add mustard or paprika to vary things. Impossible to give quantities as these are elastic but you need a reasonable amount of bread. I like them to be nice and green and herby but you could just make them with cheese, breadcrumbs and a drop of milk if pushed.

You will need more egg, even a bit of milk, if the breadcrumbs are stale. You can even use rock-hard bread by putting it in a couple of paper or plastic bags and bashing it with a (strong) bottle or rolling pin or whatever. Then add the rest with more liquid than usual and let it stand before you shape it.

Do not use mouldy bread and claim they are Roquefort or Gorgonzola sausages."

EDIT: Made these last night, and holy bejizzle they were good!

-- Edited by _cinnamonstars on Wednesday 26th of May 2010 05:08:54 PM

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

Just had to highlight this cute onigiri recipe on Mookychick because it's vegan and - well - it's charming. Eating things made out of vegetables with little seaweed whiskers on is too charming for words.

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Regular Crew

Date:

I made these for work potlucks quite often because there were a whole slew of alergies and food preferences. They're lactose free, gluten free, can be made nut free, and they're vegetarians and vegan friendly (well there was one vegan who wouldn't eat them but I don't know why).

Cranberry Pumpkin Bars

1/2 cup water
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup molassase
1 tbs oil
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cup spelt flour
1-2 tsp baking soda
a pinch of salt
a bit of allspice, nutmeg, and cloves
a handful of flax (I measured this out to about 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup)
cranberries
walnuts (unless you're deathly allergic!)

Preheat your oven to 350 F. Mix together the dry. Mix together the wet. Mix your wet ingredients into the dry. Add flax, cranberries, and walnuts (if you aren't allergic! You'd be surprised how many people I know who add them in anyway). Grease a pan. Cook for about 20 - 30 minutes. Jab it with something to make sure it's done. When it is done, slice it up into bars.

These are an awesome breakfast food and last for quite a while. I've even frozen them before to make them last longer. 

One last warning, let these cool completly before storing them or else they turn to mush. Really horrible looking mush...but it does smell good.

"When I grow up I want to be a contradiction....or a pirate."

Regular Crew

Date:

I started out as a vegetarian, but I'm a vegan now. My all time favourite vegan recipe is called Mac Daddy which is basically a vegan version of Mac N Cheese. It's from a fabulous cookbook called Veganomicon.

Mac Daddy (serves 8-10 (lies! more like it serves 4 or 5))

-> cook 3/4 pound of macaroni

-> in a bowl combine:
- 1 pound of mashed tofu
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of cheezy sauce

-> add macaroni to tofu along with 3 cups of sauce

-> smooth pasta and press down then add rest of sauce

-> bake for 30 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit

Cheezy Sauce (you have to double this!)

-> combine 2 cups of vegetable broth with a 1/4 cup of flour and whisk

-> in a pot on medium low add (2 min)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic

-> add and cook (15 sec)
- thyme
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 3 pinches of pepper

-> add and cook for 5 minutes (whisk)
- the broth
- 1/8 tsp of turmeric
- 3/4 cup of nutritional yeast

-> add tbsp of lemon juice and 1 tsp of yellow mustard

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Nephthys wrote:

One of my favourite things of all time, mixed mushroom stroganoff.

I found it on the Vegetarian Society website ages ago and I love it

1tbsp virgin olive oil
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
6oz / 150g large open mushrooms, sliced
6oz / 150g open cup mushrooms, quartered
6oz / 150g closed cup mushrooms, halved
6oz / 150g button mushrooms
6oz / 150g chestnut mushrooms, thickly sliced
½pint / 250ml semi-skimmed milk
¼pint / 190ml white wine
4tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
3 tbsp cornflour
4tbsp fresh soured cream
To serve: cooked brown rice (allow 2oz / 50g per person)
To garnish: sprig of fresh parsley

1. Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the spring onions and garlic for 2 minutes.

2. Stir in all the mushrooms, milk, wine, parsley and seasoning and bring slowly to the boil. Cover, then simmer gently for 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, blend the cornflour with a little cold water until smooth, then stir into the mushrooms. Bring to the boil, stirring. Remove from heat then stir in the soured cream. Return to the heat and heat through gently but do not allow mixture to boil. Serve with cooked brown rice and a green salad. Garnish with parsley

Om nom nom :)

I'm planning to make this tomorrow for my wonderful wonderful man.
Cheers Nephthys!

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Spinach and Tomato Gnochhi (with optional extras)

500g pack ready-made gnocchi

350g jar tomato pasta sauce

100g spinach , washed

250g tub mascarpone

50g parmesan or Grana Padano cheese

Cook the gnocchi according to packet instructions and drain. Meanwhile, heat the tomato sauce in an ovenproof dish and add the spinach, stirring until wilted.

Add the gnocchi, season and spoon blobs of mascarpone over. Scatter with shavings of parmesan or Grana Padano and grill until bubbling and golden.

Extra:
Cook some mushrooms and onions in a little oil before adding the tomato sauce and try other cheeses such as mozzarella or ricotta.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Here's a Nigel Slater cheese souffle recipe my Dad swears by. It really is scrumptious...

to prepare the dish:

a knob of butter
2 tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese

for the soufflé:

300ml milk
1 bay leaf
1 small onion
55g butter
50g flour
4 large eggs, separated
100g strongly flavoured, firm cheese, such as Yarg, Gruyère, Cheddar, grated or cut into small pieces
2 tbsp chopped tarragon
a tbsp grated Parmesan

Lightly butter the inside of a deep soufflé or similar dish, measuring 20cm across the top, then scatter in half of the grated Parmesan, tipping the dish from side to side to make sure the cheese sticks to the butter.

Put a baking sheet in the oven and set at 200C/gas mark 6. Bring the milk to the boil in a small pan together with the bay leaf and onion. Turn off the heat and let it sit for a few minutes.

Melt the butter in a small, heavy-based saucepan, stir in the flour and leave over the heat for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring almost continuously. (You can chuck the bay and onion at this point - they have done their work.) Stir in the warm milk, gradually at first, then a little faster, till you have a thick sauce. Let it come to an enthusiastic bubble, then lower the heat and let the mixture simmer for at least 5 minutes, until it is thick and smooth.

If your sauce looks lumpy, then whisk fiercely until it is smooth and thick. Remove from the heat, cool briefly, then stir or whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time. Work quickly, otherwise the egg will cook before it gets stirred in. (Should you wish, you can leave your mixture at this point until you are ready to make the soufflé.)

Stir in the chopped cheese and the chopped tarragon. In a large bowl and using a large balloon whisk, beat the egg whites till stiff and frothy. Fold them gently but firmly into the cheese sauce, then immediately scrape into the buttered dish. I tend to add a bit of the cheese mixture to the egg whites, mix it in, then add the remaining whites, mixing firmly but tenderly with a large metal spoon.

Smooth the top lightly, scatter with the remaining Parmesan, then place on top of the hot baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes.

To test if your soufflé is done, push the dish firmly with your oven glove: it should shudder but not wobble violently. The crust should be pale to mid-brown, the centre should be soft and oozing. Remove and serve immediately. If you stick your spoon in and the middle is too liquid, then put it back in the oven. It will still rise.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I thought parmesan wasn't vegetarian?

Managed to produce big yellow flames coming out of my frying pan today while trying to cook some tofu, don't think I should be giving anyone cooking advice heh.

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ It depends on how committed you are, I suppose. You can always alter the type of cheese to suit your preferences anyway; I don't think it's important.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Regular Crew

Date:

Being vegan, it's sometimes hard to find yummy food. But I found this GREAT recipe for tofu. http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=8769.0 it's friggin delicious. Even my carnivore brother liked it. In fact, that whole site is pretty good if you're looking for recipes.

"Lesson learned: don't dance with zombies, they don't fight fair. I was all "let's do the Macarana!" And they were all "Imgonna punch you in the face!""

Itty Bitty Ampersand

Deviantart

Polyvore

Etsy

Honoured Mook

Date:

I make fajitas, spicy vegetable rice, kappa maki sushi, lemon quorn and lemon grass stir fry, the normal pasta dishes spag bol, lagsuana, e.t.c with added chick peas and japanese tofu katsu curry and vegetable curry a lot.
I just do things, I don't really have an order or recipe to them. I throw all sorts in.
My nans a great cook, my mums a chef, and good cooking in our family is genetic. :P

fajitas

quorn chicken style pieces. (if not veggy get chicken fillets, defrost (if frozen) and cut to size)

pepper (red is sweet)
red onion or spring onion depending on what onion flavour I want
sometimes I add carrots and others, seriously I even put baby sweet corn in there, I love it!
Nando's peri peri hot sauce, sometimes I get medium. (any sauce you prefer, my bf used sweet chili sauce once,
not sure how that tasted.)

wraps.

basic fajitas based on two people.

a couple of hand fulls of quorn chicken style pieces,
1 medium sized red onion,
1 pepper,
sauce of some description (I use nandos peri peri hot sauce)
x4 tortilla wraps,or more depending on size of them.

Cut up and deseed veg

cook quorn in olive oil, add veg, (big onions cook slower it's best to cut up and add them first after quorn)
then add peppers.

cook until at preferred texture, I like veg with a bit of a crunch, some don't.
add nandos sauce to taste (depending on tolerence to spice.) I like it very spicy.

micro wave wraps for 20 seconds to make them easier to fold.
dump veg in/ fold accordingly in fajita like way (I can't fold it properly I'm useless, bf does mine.)

Nom to your hearts content.

-- Edited by evilkelsits on Saturday 12th of March 2011 11:31:52 AM

-- Edited by evilkelsits on Saturday 12th of March 2011 11:33:46 AM

"I reject your reality and substitute it with one of my own!"- mythbusters

Honoured Mook

Date:

I've just made this and I had to share it!
It's incredibly cheap, easy and quick to make and as far as I know is also suitable for vegans.

Ingredients;
Vegetable stock cube
Mushrooms (I used chestnut mushrooms but I suppose you could use any kind)
Rocket
Wasabi sauce
Cracked black pepper

What you do with the aforementioned ingredients;
Pour some water into a saucepan, crumble a vegetable stock cube into it, then bring to the boil.
Add the mushrooms to the soup stock and allow them to cook for a couple of minutes.
Once the mushrooms are almost fully cooked, add the rocket to the mixture and continue to boil until it wilts.
Take a hand blender and blend the soup mixture until it is smooth.
Keeping the soup on the hob. Continue to cook but add wasabi sauce to taste (around 10ml should do it) and stir it in well.
Keep stirring the soup, this time adding cracked black pepper to taste.
Serve up with crusty bread.

If there is any left over it then should be able to be kept in the fridge for up to three days in a tupperware container, just take it out and heat it through in the microwave when you need it.
An alternative is to leave out the wasabi sauce and blend in celery instead, it still tastes amazing.

-- Edited by EverFrost on Monday 18th of April 2011 07:19:45 PM

. Tumblr . Flickr .

Date:

Raargh it's a vegan homemade lollipops recipe!

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

Here's a sneak preview... A jam recipe and general how-to kerfuffle for how to make glitter plum jam. Mmmmm. Glitter plum jam.

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Regular Crew

Date:

basic omelette - you will need -
a frying pan
oil (vegetable)
butter (or similar)
3 eggs
spatula

some optional ingredients you might want to throw in
bacon (unless you're a vege)
cheese
sweet peppers
garlic
etc

method -
1-have all the optional ingredients prepared before hand

2-put some oil in the pan, use your judgement, not loads , but not just a drip
enough to wet the whole pan plus a bit more so you can see it moving around on top

3-put a chunk of butter in the pan, be sensible

4-whisk the eggs up in a bowl or some such using a fork

5- heat the pan (i heat it on an electric hob all the way), til the butter melts almost completely, then quickly chuck the egg in

6-if you have optional ingredients nows the time to chuck 'em in

7-leave it a little while to solidify, then there should be about half left on top liquid

8-carefully peel the edge back with the spatula and tilt the pan to let the liquid fill the space, set the pan back flat

9-repeat 8 all around the omelette where ever you feel necessary, until there's no more liquid egg

10-peel the edge back all the way around and proceed to scoop it up without ripping it, flip it over, cook the other side for a minute or so

11-top it if you like (i enjoy a sprinkle of ground black pepper), then finally eat it

experiment if you feel like it - super quick meal

We're all as mad as the man in the moon, who carries his heart in a brown paper bag - tomorrow we jump

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^You know something vegetarians can't eat, and therefore don't want in their recipe thread?

SPAM!

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm not veggie but a couple of friends are and I'm the cook! I don't do vegan though everything has cheese and/or butter in. If you know of substitutes it might work. I do filo parcels stuffed with spinach and feta cheese. Shop bought filo pastry, you can make your own but the shop bought stuff is just as good! Blanche (shove into a pan of boiling water for about a minute) the spinach. Put into the squares of the pastry and top with feta cheese. You can then fold the parcel however you like. It needs sealing with melted butter though or you will find they leak! Then cook in the oven according to the packets instructions. I dont have a packet in the house and I can never remember :( Another good filling for these is tomatoes and ricotta cheese. For this chop and fry baby plum tomatoes (these are the most wonderful tomatoes I've found!) Add a bit of basil (fresh or dried) add the cheese to the pan and then spoon the mixture and make the parcels like before.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Oh forgot the veggie bolognaise! This is really quick and mostly cheating! Chop and fry a whole onion in a large saucepan (I like to use red onions but white onions work just as well) add 100g of chopped mushrooms. Add a 500g jar of passata. Sainsburys do a good one :) Then add your fave veggies! I love cougette, sweetcorn, baked beans, a few fresh tomatoes are nice too. A lot if people like red peppers too. I use frozen sweetcorn, peas and Then your flavourings: a good splash of balsamic vinegar, tablespoon of tomato puree, pinch of oregano, pinch of basil, a clove of garlic (1tsp of garlic granuals if you don't have fresh) and a beef oxo cube. Let simmer stirring occasionally to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan. This can be used in lesagne too :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^Beef oxo cubes are made of beef, ergo, this is not vegetarian. Perhaps add a little bisto? This is much more veggie friendly. :)

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Okay, this thread is now similar to my holy book.

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Oh crap! Shhhh don't tell my veggie friends! Oh they would kill me :( Replace with veggie oxo/other stock cube. Whoops! This is why non veggies shouldn't be trusted to cook for veggies!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Darlings, I know this is slightly threadjacking but as it's only a minor query starting a new thread seemed silly. Anyone is free to move it.

Basically, every few weeks or so I get meat cravings. It's not too awful, but I find myself thinking about meat much more often than I would like. I don't really understand what it is, but it happens in such intervals I wonder if it's a menstrual thing (I don't period, and so it's hard to really test that theory).Do any other veggies get the same feelings? How do you deal with them? Have you found any veggie foods that help?

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Honoured Mook

Date:

Your body is probably craving protein or iron. Try eggs for protein and green veggies like cabbage, spinach and beans for iron.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Charlie, I get cravings for meat often. I've been veggie a year, and the cravings were quite intense at the start. While they're not nearly as intense as they were, they're still there. And I find myself craving the worst possible kinds of meat, like fast food chicken etc.

The cravings are normal, but I understand they can be frustrating. When I get cravings like that, I eat something packed with protein. Even a handful of peanuts or cashew nuts will do when I can't prepare a full meal. It also helps me to remind myself why I am a vegetarian in the first place. As SienneDeaddoll said, eating iron packed foods may help too. Personally I go for protein foods to ease my meat cravings, but it can't hurt to go for iron packed food too, so give em a shot!

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us