Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Vegetarian Recipe Thread!

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: Vegetarian Recipe Thread!

And I have now become very, very hungry reading this.

Baby Mook

Date:

hey guys i make these all the time there really nice and vegetarian x

These moist and delicious muffins will please even the pickiest of eaters.

3 ripe bananas
1/4 cup oil or melted margarine
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup chopped walnuts (optionalsee other options listed below)
Mash bananas (overripe ones make the best bread). Add oil/margarine and sugar. Mix well.
Sift the flour, salt, and baking soda together and add to the banana mixture. Mix until the flour is blended (do not beat).
Pour into muffin pans or a bread pan and bake at 360°F until a toothpick comes out clean.

Optional: Add a handful of walnuts, oatmeal, raisins, chocolate chips, currants, coconut, or all of the above!

Makes 1 Dozen Muffins

MookyDuchess

Date:

They sound tasty.

Welcome to the Forum, River Song!

See my pictures at this site.

Honoured Mook

Date:

mmmmmmm i just tried making cheese sauce like Kitty suggested and it was fabulous!!!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Quorn is soooooooooo good. However I am a meat eater so I don't really know any vegetarian recipes unless you include the classic jacket potato with baked beans and melted cheese....?

MookyDuchess

Date:

myforeverforever wrote:

mmmmmmm i just tried making cheese sauce like Kitty suggested and it was fabulous!!!

Y'welcome.

Honoured Mook

Date:

yesterday I made Egg Salad for the first time. Only considered vegetarian by some vegetarians (myself included) but it was quite good. HEre's the link to it:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jens-heavenly-egg-salad/Reviews.aspx

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Meatloaf :P
Joking!

I would have to say you can't really beat my "Simple Soup"

:)
One Potato (sliced)
One Tomato (Diced)
One onion (finely chopped)
A head of broccoli (Seperated)

Shove it all in a bowl and use a food processor. Until it's all smoothed, then mix in plenty of salt and pepper.
Looks like crap but tastes frigging gorgeous.

Serve with a big fat slice of tiger bread :D

-- Edited by Experimental Refill at 01:29, 2009-02-16

=)

MookyDuchess

Date:

Do you not have to heat the soup?

Regular Crew

Date:

Ooh I like this thread. I just made a pretty simple tofu dish that came out delicious. I don't really measure when I cook so here's a rough estimate of what I used.

1/4 of a block tofu cut into small pieces
Half a large red sweet pepper chopped
1/4 of a large red onion diced
Handful of frozen green beans (which I boiled before adding to the rest of the ingredients)
2 cloves of garlic crushed
A bit of ginger about the same size as a garlic clove crushed
Tiny bit of green chilli crushed
A ring of pineapple
Generous amount of soy sauce

I sautéed the onion with the garlic and ginger for about 3 minutes then added the tofu and peppers, drizzled on some soy sauce and cooked for 6 minutes. Added the pineapple and green beans and left on for about another minute. Added more soy sauce because I use far too much.

When I cook I just throw things together and see what happens. It's a miracle I've never given myself food poisoning.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Something simple and spicy I came up with when I was ill:

I usually don't use recepies, so the amounts given here are not exact.

Put a reasonable amount of pasta (I used penne) to boil.

chop up and put in a bowl:
1 clove of garlic
6 cherry tomatoes
some olives
fresh basil
as much fresh chili as you want.

add a tablespoon or two of olive oil

stir

when the pasta is done, pour off the water, add the stuff in the bowl and stir.

Unless you are a vegan, add some grated parmesan.

This should take about 10-15 minutes, I think it's pretty nice for fastfood.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

There's a pretty nice traditional recipe that my mum used to make for me. I've taken out the beef stock and made it veggie.
It's called Hodgepodge.

Basically you get whatever veg is in season. It's usually always made at the same time each year so you have fresh peas, green and yellow beans, potatoes, radishes (give it a nice hint of colour!)

Pretty much any veg will do.

You chop them all up and soften them in quite a bit of butter. Then you add a bit of veg stock and cook them until tender. Stir in a bit of cream (I use milk because I am not a dairy fan) until it looks like chowder. Warm it until it's hot but not boiling and tada. Soup!

I absolutly hate hate hate milk (don't really even drink it in coffee) yet to me this soup is heavenly!

Honoured Mook

Date:

i just found a vegan cookbook that i want!
http://www.amazon.com/Students-Go-Vegan-Cookbook-Recipes/dp/0307336530/ref=bxgy_cc_b_img_b

the author of it also made a vegetarian cookbook.

Honoured Mook

Date:

oh and sorry for the double post - but i make these lovely quesadillas that can be filled with anything - beans, tofu, onions, etc.
Basically, you take a tortilla, fill it with cheese and a filling of some sort, then you fold it in half and deep fry it in oil until it's crispy. Then you eat it.

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

I have a lovely recipe for chocolate fudge cake that I believe is vegan. It's the most moist, rich, delicious cake ever, and contains no eggs or dairy:

½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups plain flour
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.

1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 tablespoon white vinegar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil (1/2 cup)

Combine wet ingredients in a bowl or jug.

Preheat oven to 180oC and grease and line a 20cm cake tin.

Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients with a whisk until smooth. Pour into cake tin and bake for 35 40 minutes. Cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out to cool on a wire rack. Ice when cool or dust with icing sugar.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Date:

Two recipes (if you can call them that--more like mash ups of leftovers with nowhere else to go) I found online and tried upon realizing I have lots of chili and potatoes in my pantry, and lots of frozen broccoli.

1) 1 cup canned vegetarian chili
1 to 1 1/2 cup frozen broccoli
shredded cheese and crackers

Put chili and broccoli in bowl and microwave for 5 minutes (or until broc is tender). Remove and stir. Add cheese and crackers.

2) 1 medium potato
1/2 cup canned vegetarian chili
2 cups broccoli
1/4 cup cheese

Cook potato in microwave for 7 minutes; remove and wrap in aluminum foil for 5 more. Heat chili and broccoli in saucepan or microwave. Remove potato from foil and cut in half, pouring chili/broccoli over it. Sprinkle cheese on top.

Both are yummy and filling, though as I'm not really a fan of broccoli, I plan to cut the portions a little next time. Sorry for the US measurements; there are conversion calculators all over the net if you need them. :)

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Yummy vegan sandwich:
in a seeded bun preferably;
mushroom (raw sliced)
pickle
iceberg lettuce
salad cream (Asda type, one is vegan one isn't)

Delish.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Strawberry and Kiwi Sorbet.

1. Chop one cup of strawberries and two kiwi fruits, and put them in the freezer for at least an hour.
2. Place frozen fruit in a blender with 5 tablespoon full of water, and 1 of what sweetener or caster sugar you use.
3. Blend untill you get a sorbet consistency.

Also if you want something a bit naughtier you could add 2 water 3 vodka and serve in a freezing shot glass ;)

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

yeah, i feel like a bit of a hypocrite since all of my attempts at being a vegetarian have failed. However I do have a few useful meatless recipes.

Moroccan Stew:
Glass casserole dish
1 Eggplant
2 large sweet potatoes
2 cups of leek (chopped)
1 large zucchini
2 summer squashes
Olive oil (you can also substitute any other vegetable oil)

Heat the oven to 350F, Peel the sweet potato but leave the skins on the other vegetables. Slice the vegetables and potato then mix it all together and put it all in the casserole dish. Pour the oil onto the vegetables, just enough to lightly coat the top. Cook covered until the vegetables get soft
(makes about 5 servings)

Eggplant Tofu Stir Fry
Greased Large Fry Pan
1 Eggplant
2 cups tofu (or more if you want i guess)
leek (to taste)
Vermicelli (green bean thread
Soy sauce (to taste)

let the vermicelli soak in hot (not boiling water) until soft. Cut the eggplant and tofu into bite size cubes and slice up the leek. Fry the tofu, eggplant and leek on medium heat until browned. Turn the heat down to low. Finally drain the vermicelli and add it into the pan along with the soy sauce. mix well and serve

If your local grocery store doesn't have green bean thread you can substitute rice noodles

-- Edited by Persephone on Friday 5th of June 2009 07:19:35 AM

Honoured Mook

Date:

I've been a vegetarian for around 3 years, my favourite thing to make though is simple vegetarian gravy.

The only secret really is Bisto with Soy Sauce, fried mushrooms, tomato, onion, dried peppers, herbs & parsley XDD.

Tastes bloody good though.

- Hannah Belle.

I hear the roar of a big machine,
Two worlds and in between,
Hot metal and methedrine,
I hear empire down.

Regular Crew

Date:

it's quite bizarre that looking on the internet it's hard to find good vegetarian recipes, but surprisingly easy to find vegan ones. so here is a vegan show with recipes and videos and here is a vegetarian website with recipes, but you have to search for them, so it's better to go to itunes and look up the podcast, then search the recipes and this  has recipes, some are vegan and others are vegetarian and it also has a podcast on itunes called delicious tv, totally vegetarian

-- Edited by Rainbow Smile on Sunday 14th of June 2009 10:42:43 PM

-- Edited by Rainbow Smile on Sunday 14th of June 2009 10:43:21 PM

-- Edited by Rainbow Smile on Sunday 14th of June 2009 10:44:54 PM

Date:

I had another night of mashing odds and ends together, and found making a quesadilla of brown rice, chopped broccoli (both pre-cooked obviously :P), and shredded mozzarella quite good.

Not much to it. Just warm a frying pan over medium heat on stove top, and plop a tortilla shell down. Mix rice/broccoli/cheese together and spread on top of shell. Place another tortilla shell on top of that, and cook first side until cheese starts melting (2-3 minutes), and carefully flip. Cook until second side is crispy as first. Cut and serve.

I'm going to experiment with the veggies as soon as I get more from the store. It was sooo tasty. :D

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Regular Crew

Date:

im a vegitarian not a vegan ok now before u even think abot becoming a veg. go to ur doctor!!! make sure u tak vitamins for faulic acid ( u coulod get a deiseas if u dont) and just look it up on google thats where i get most of my meals :) good luck

Regular Crew

Date:

meat-free mince 'n' chilli beans pilaf
NOTES: *a pilaf is a indian/middle eastern meal of rice in a seasoned broth think of it like ramen with rice. It's really common to find this dish in caribbean, latino and even south asian (remember kaikan phrase volume1?)* plus there's quite a few names for this dish like pulao, pilav, polao, pilaf and even pilau (it irks me whenever my mamma says 'pilau') this is my version of a recipe i found in a vegetarian cookbook which i snagged from my mamma's friend at a baby shower. lol.

Ingredients:
meat-free mince (you don't have to use the whole pack)
a can of chilli beans
1 sweet potato- sliced and diced (omg that rhymes)
1 onion- sliced and chopped
1 clove of garlic- sliced and chopped
For the pilaf:
1 or 2 cups of rice
2 cups of water or vegetable stock (yum curry vegetable stock ftw)
2tbsp of cooking oil *preferably use sesame or walnut oil*
SEASONINGS for the pilaf:
2tbsp of garlic & coriander powder
1tsp of garlic powder
2tbsp of coriander powder
4 cardamon pods
curry powder *OPTIONAL: if you want colour*

method:
1. once the ingredients are gathered and prepared, cook the rice and heat the oil in a wok (or in my case a very big dutch pot). *make sure the beans are rinsed and drained*
2. once the rice is cooked, gently fry the mince, onions, garlic, sweet potato and beans in the pot.
3. stir the rice in with all the other goodies in the pot.
4. pour in the stock/water and add in the seasonings, bring it to the boil (the water should bubble if it's boiling) cover and gently simmer on a low heat for 10 min.
5. once the 10min are up take the pot from the heat *making sure to NOT remove the lid however tempting it is* and leave the pot for another 10min...
6. and then deliver the final blow: EAT! XD

*tips*
with the rice make sure that the rice is soaked for the minimum of 30mins or an hour! if you want to be kosher leave it overnight. Before soaking the rice make sure the rice is washed 3-6 times (however if you feel lazy you don't have to wash the rice).

before letting the pilaf simmer, take out the cardamon pods or else you'll get an unpleasant surprise when your chowing down on your meal! XD

also if you want colour and you don't feel like using curry powder, you can always use turmeric which is a more traditional spice to use for a colour effect. but be very careful when using turmeric since too much can make your pilaf taste flat and powdery. DX

i hope you enjoy this recipe! if y'all enjoy this i'll try and post a recipe for french apple cake which i found in a vegetarian cookbook.

'and let's move to the beat
like we know that it's over
if you slip going under
slip over my shoulder
so just pull on your face
just pull on your feet
and let's hit opening time
down on fascination street'

Fascination Street~The Cure

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Blackberry Muffins (Or any berry, I didn't have enough blackberries so made up the amount with Raspberries and Black Currants too, came out great)
Dry:
-1 cup white flour
-1 cup whole wheat flour
-2/3 cup brown sugar
-3 teaspoons baking powder
-1 cup blackberries

Wet:
-1/2 cup soymilk
-1/2 cup applesauce
-1/4 cup vegetable oil

-equivalent of one egg

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
Mix wet ingredients in separate bowl.
Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until just moist. Spoon into large muffin tins and bake at 180 degrees c for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The quickest, easieest, yummiest veggie soup in the entire world [and believe you me, I make soup about three times a week...]. Most of the things I cook don't have a recipe so amounts are pretty variable, but they still turn out fine. I'm a student so they're not expensive to make either!

Spinach and Chickpea Soup

Ingredients:

Olive oil for frying.
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 large bag fresh spinach leaves [about 300g, I think, though more is fine because it cooks down to nothing]
2 tomatoes
1 can chickpeas, drained
Chilli flakes, if you like them
Around 1 pint vegetable stock [though I use more]
Coconut milk

Method:

* Add olive oil to saucepan. Chop the onion and garlic and fry over a low heat. Add a few chilli flakes, if you like.
* Roughly chop the tomatoes and add. Fry for a few minutes, then add the can of drained chickpeas and stir.
* Add the vegetable stock and a couple of tablespoons of coconut milk and simmer.
* Put the spinach in handful by handful until all of it has wilted in. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
* Season and serve with a swirl of olive oil and pieces of buttered toast.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I am so hungry after reading all of these.
They seem so simple- even I could do most of them :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Make a start, woman! Seriously, I didn't realise quite how useful learning to cook before leaving home actually is. I have friends who have been living off cereal this year because they've never had to cook for themselves before. Start now!

I'm starting to compile a 'proper' student recipe book, so any favourite cheap/easy recipes are welcomed :)

Lush Guru

Date:

^^Have you found that most of them are shite? (Student cookbooks that is). I got one for Christmas and it was like recipes for 4...I was like, well HELLO THIS IS WHY I'M FAT.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

That's why I'm attempting to put my own together, with recipes in that will actually be USEFUL to students who decide they're hungry five minutes before they eat and only have three things in the fridge and don't want to be fucked with recipes which require a pinch of oregano and freshly chopped parsley. With useful things in, like how to use up leftovers and which ingredients in a recipe are essential and which ones you can afford to leave out if you don't have them. Plus easy ways to measure things, as most students don't have scales. I do all my measuring with a tablespoon and it's far easier.

Basically, I love to cook but I hate student cookbooks and want to encourage people to think outside of them. My housemate's got a supposedly student cookbook which has a recipe for a sandwich [!] in it that takes 45 MINUTES to make. Er, fuck that.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us