Loo roll (also makes good tinder)
15.8%
Tin opener
15.8%
Torch
8.8%
Booze (oh lord!)
1.8%
Tent (we weren't thinking this morning...)
7.0%
Mallet (darn it!)
8.8%
Your healing crystals and windchime
10.5%
Map/compass
14.0%
Pan (we have the dish, the food and the stove... but not the middleman)
10.5%

Baby Mook

Date:
The great outdoors

Well, I'm a bit of a campign freak, I love getting down to nature and being as far away from concrete as possible. I know quite a bit but I'm still wanting to learn more.

So does anyone want to share their eco-knowledge and camping tips?

For example, did you know that if you boil pine needles, you can make a tea rich in vitamin A and C (make sure there's no pine needles in the final cup XD)

I just love learning all the old foraging knowledge, like the polypore fungus that grows on birch trees is antiseptic and makes good plasters.

Anyone can ask me questions and anyone can offer their knowledge and experiences. Funny stories are always good!

Last time I went camping with friends we were joking that the tents would come alive, and that Hooley's tent would run off (it was being very stubborn when we were pegging it down). We woke up in the morning and it was gone! It had been very windy, and the tent had ended up in a tree 100 metres away. A few bemused dog walkers were scratching their heads. I had to walk over with birds nest hair and a hangover and retrieve it under their reproachful gaze. Ey dear...

MookyDuchess

Date:

The first thing I'd have to forget when going camping is that I hate camping.

Give me a nice warm bed, good solid walls and an expresso machine (preferably with coconut or mint syrups) and I'll be happy. And access to bathing facilities. And a toilet.

See my pictures at this site.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Never forget anything when camping - preperation is the key... and professionalism as I used to lead camping trips for a living. Now there's some stories to tell ...

MookyDuchess

Date:

Tents with room service. And plumbing. That makes sense, people always forget those things when camping...

Honoured Mook

Date:

I love camping. It has all the elements of making my own little camp under the table when I was tiny. When I go camping, I have to have a good fire or it's not really like camping. I have to have a nice supply of drink and gentle drugs so it's really fun when I wobble off into the trees to try to do a pee.

For me, it's about being in the open, barely protected, exposed, free.

Mind you, late February is the wrong month to be talking about it (unless, of course, you live in the Southern Hemisphere). But it might tell you that Spring is now on its way...

Regular Crew

Date:

I love camping!
Boyface and I bought a tent but still haven't been away. Just too busy at the weekends. However we are going away in September for the River Cottage festival and then staying around for a few more nights camping.
xxx

Honoured Mook

Date:

Kitty Fire wrote:

Give me a nice warm bed, good solid walls and an expresso machine (preferably with coconut or mint syrups) and I'll be happy. And access to bathing facilities. And a toilet.

That's why I don't go to festivals. I don't think I could go for that long covered in mud, sitting in my own filth for days on end with no decent wash facilities and a bog that flushes.

I hate camping.

Although I do know that Wild Comfrey is good for things like sprains and twisted ankles. Not taken internally of course.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I really kind of hate camping. And the last time I went, I forgot the tent pegs ashamed.gif

And we got lost. And I had an asthma attack. I think it kind of put me off camping for life.

I am seriously beginning to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

It seems no-one would ever forget the booze or the tent lol

Liv

My Tumblr :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

my friends have this new thing they call hardcore camping. its camping without a tent.

all it is really is them going to the dunes with lots of booze and drinking themselves into oblivion. then waking up the next morning. i dont go...it sounds crap. if your gonna drink there should at least be music!

Lush Guru

Date:

If you're gonna drink there should be toilets!

MookyDuchess

Date:

And cups or glasses...

Lush Guru

Date:

Nahh... bottles yo.

Regular Crew

Date:

We're going camping in September for our anniversary and I'm actually really looking forward to it. It's been ages since I last went camping so I think I've forgotten all the horible parts and can only remember the rose tinted fun bits. We're off to devon and I'm praying for an indian summer. Please let it be sunny!!
xxx

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I absolutely love sleeping outside. All the fresh air, looking at the stars, sex in a soft bed of moss...mmmm.

But I don't like tents. I think they are nasty and stuffy. I simply can't handle them unless I'm totally zonked out on hashish. And how can you watch the stars if you are inside a tent, eh?

I think my best camping tip is: Don't go camping anywhere it is likely to rain! And if you absolutely have to go there, bring a good tarpaulin and some string that you can make into a nice, cosy lean-to. That way you can leave the creepy evil tent at home.

Hardcore campers that go living in the wild for a month or two prefer a tent, because it is really easier, faster, lighter to carry and able to handle rougher weather. But lightweight campers like me, who only laze about not-that-far-from-home for a day or two to pick flowers and befriend the local squirrels, don't really have to bother.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

My tent is way too small. Its blue with a yellow bit at the top so I always wake up thinking it's sunny when it's raining! And really dehydrated and stuffy.

But I love camping and the outdoors. Tents, benders, bivouacs... it's all good. Camper vans aren't exactly cheating but they have their own special thing going on...

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

MookyDuchess

Date:

Room service and a big, comfy bed. Find me a tent with that and I might go camping.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

You mean something like this ?
"Like the deluxe guest tents, family suite tents tender Adirondack-style beds dressed with luxurious down duvets. Remote-controlled propane wood-stoves, antique dressers, opulent area rugs, pressed-glass oil lamps, heirloom accessories, and candles galore promise romance and suite dreams."

It would certainly cure my tent-phobia... If I ever win in the lottery I'd go. For medical reasons only obviously.

-- Edited by Irilar at 03:38, 2008-10-04

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

MookyDuchess

Date:

At a push, I'd slum it in one of those. :)

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I like kipping outdoors next to a campfire, although I've accidentally got to close and melted my sleeping bag before now.  I have to have a tent about though so I can keep all my bits and pieces critter free. 

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I absolutely love camping, we go all the time in the summer. Usually to the Lake District. Im quite comfy in a tent although next time I'll be taking the double blow up airbed. My back was knacked last time.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Thank you, search function.

I'm going camping for the first time, celebrating end of exams. :D
We're leaving early on Friday morning so I have hardly any time to get stuff, just wondering what I should bring? It's on an island so there won't be much there, we're stocking up on the booze beforehand but I have no idea what food to bring. Or anything. Tips?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Toilet roll, it's like gold dust!

Also, lots of warm layers. I always forget how cold it gets in the middle of the night, even in summer, and I'm always cold when it's time to sleep!

Mookface (mod)

Date:

A camping stove that you can heat water on for tea, cuppa soup etc... If you're the cooking type, you could make camp stew! Just buy tins of beans, stewed steak, little new potatoes, peas and carrots (yes! all in tins!) and maybe some tinned chopped tomatoes too, chuck them all in a saucepan and let it bubble away til there's less juice. Absolutely gorgeous when the evening turns a bit chilly.

Remember to take a torch for the inevitable midnight stagger to the loo blocks!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Wet wipes, dry shampoo and hand sanitizer in case there's no tap or anything. These things saved my life last year!

I'd choose freedom over safety because I'd rather die standing than live on my knees.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I used to be an army cadet (I know, shocking. I went to a school where a year of army training was compulsory.) and had to camp then. I hated it. My tent was draughty and leaky and on lumpy ground and it was cold and raining and in the middle of the night a bog came over and kicked me in the ribs saying "OI NEWTON-DUNN, GIVE ME YOUR HEXI BLOCKS!" thinking I was my friend Rory Newton-Dunn.

Never again.

Besides, I don't own any flat shoes.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Thanks! I'm leaving early tomorrow... just packing now... :/
It's a little too late to get a camping stove though that's a great idea, but I've lots of clothes for warmth, lots of alcohol, dry shampoo... I'll be fiiiiiine, right?

Bye for a while! xxx

Regular Crew

Date:

Kitty Fire wrote:

That's basically why I've never gone camping. I'm just too fond of warm beds, power outlets, nice kitchens and decent plumbing.

Still, I'm going to a music festival in october and camping there. Since I'm a bit of a concert freak, I guess I'll just have to forget my camping hatred and enjoy heeps of great music.

For all your stalking desires just click here.

Honoured Mook

Date:

ah i love camping :D i grew up living in a tent for months at a time and i still love it! i belive i was even ahem.. 'made' in one (:

things i find vaguely usefull:
dont take more than you can carry- if you cant carry it chances are you wont need it all.
put your toothbrush in a bottle- seems stupid but its the most hygenic storage for it plus the bottle can be usefull on its own.
take a lighter even if you dont smoke, fire is good!

i recon the best luxary is a thick blanket! you can use it to sit on in the day time, an extra layre to sleep on or under, and is good to wrap round you at night round the fire and whatnot (:

Honoured Mook

Date:

For the non-veggies, buy cheap canned chicken. When you heat it up over the fire it tastes like chicken soup and you don't even need a bowl. I fashioned a spoon out of the tin top, with the pop top as the handle; it was kind of hard not to cut open my mouth, though.

Also, I always bring a mountain of socks, because wet feet are the bane of my existence.

Screw the box of chocolates; life is like a chili pepper. How much pleasure you derive depends on how much pain you can stand.
1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us