Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Suggested reading

Baby Mook

Date:
Suggested reading

Alright, with me being new to this site, lets get one thing out of the way. Yes, I am a comic book nerd. No, I am not ashamed of it. And where did this love of animated slaughter, gore, and bad ass women in mini skirts with grenades spawn from? The first graphic novel series I ever read: "The Preacher" by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. It has everything from aussie vampires, to preachers from inbred texan families slaughtering their kin to keep their swamp yard dynasty alive who can drink your heathen ass to the ground when it comes to whiskey, a self righteous french man with enough money to scrog a zoo, and he does. If that doesn't strike your fancy, a single illustration of the main character (who has the word of god bestowed on him and is using it to hunt god down, to give him a stern talking to) Jesse Custard is enough to send me into multiple quivering orgasms. you should probably read it.

MookyDuchess

Date:

I like The Sandman.

And The Invisibles.

See my pictures at this site.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I am also a 'geek' and love graphic novels, although my boyfriend annoys me by referring to them as comics! I love spawn, the crow (all 3, but the 2nd was pants, but the 3rd one's slightly better), v for vendetta, watchmen and the batman ones are ace.

Honoured Mook

Date:

i really like all of Jodi Picoult's books, they are fantastic. you should try reading them!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I have had this book in the back of my mind for a while... The Drummers of Jericho.
About a nonconformist Jewish girl living in the southern US. She is a flutist, which caught my attention... Her trials and tribulations of being in a marching band and being different...

Here is my blog.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Astonishing X-men. I'm not big enough to let go of spandex-clad super heroes just yet.

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute." ~ Rebecca West

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Currently Reading: "An Appetite for Self-destruction : The Spectacular Crash of the Record Industry in the Digital Age"

An interesting read that is an elaborate timeline of the downward spiral of the music industry from '70's disco to present day itunes.

Here is my blog.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

"Popular music from Vittula" by Mikael Niemi.

It is about childhood and growing up in a little town in northern Sweden, old puritan traditions meeting the lavishness of modern times, the joy of rock music and dreams.
It is written like a series of short stories that make up a whole.

It is magical realism with a cold northern flavour, and have some really-unforgettable side characters like Ryssi-Jussi the transvestite magician and Greger the music teacher from southern Sweden who prefers bicycles over cars.

It is sweet, sad and funny. Possibly the best book published in this decade in my opinion.

You can read a preview here

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

Rex Mundi - from Dark Horse comics. People say it reeks of the Da Vinci Code, but they came out around the same time, so who knows. What I DO know is that its far more awesome than DVC and is probably my favourite bloodline conspiracy story. Last volume is coming out this year.

-- Edited by Kitty Dean at 21:56, 2009-02-17

Honoured Mook

Date:

The perks of being a wallflower by stephan chobosky!

The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue. Dorothy Parker

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I really recommend everything Jason has done.

The drawings are very good and minimalistic, gives you a feeling of timelessness. I do not think I can really explain what makes it so great. Perhaps the oddness, the quirky humor and the melancholia?
Also, some of his work is entirely without words or speech bubbles, but the whole storyline is still evident. Which is nice. I find it very rewarding to read comics that is more than illustrated novels. The medium allows for telling stories through pictures, and I see no reason why this shouldn't be used for what it's worth.

Jason's stuff is very obviously part of the European comic tradition. If you've only read American superhero comics and/or manga, you are in for something different.

One of his best work in my opinion is "I killed Adolf Hitler". He won an Eisner award for that one, which is deserved.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm currently rereading The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas.
It's just so lovely and the characters are so alive.
One of my favourite books ever. :)

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'd recommend F. Paul Wilson to anyone. He also goes by the name Colin Andrews, but thats more for his medical type books. He writes fiction, and there's a series of books called the Adversary Cycles. Its 6 books comprising of:

The Keep (which was made into some sort of horrendous film years ago)
The Tomb
The Touch
Reborn
Reprisal
Nightworld.

The first 3 books seem like different books and not connected at all. But the last 3 ties them together. Its horror and mystery, his imagaination is excellent. If anyone reads these and likes them he has also written some books on a character called Repairman Jack, who is also briefly in these books.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I would recommend Night World. It is Twilight-esque, but seems more realistic.

The Harlequin Horrors are here!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Anything by Ayn Rand.

Here is my blog.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Regular Crew

Date:

The Poison Study series by Maria V Snyder,
ANYTHING by Chuck Palahniuk. That guy is a genius.

Honoured Mook

Date:

To Kill a Mockingbird. We had to read it in school, and I ended up buying my own copy because I loved it so much. Atticus Finch is my hero...

Ahem.

I also enjoy Ticket to Ride, by Larry Kane. It's about the author's travels on The Beatles' US tours fron '64 to '66, and it was a very interesting read. I actually ended up interviewing Mr. Kane for a school project about The Beatles, and he was a very nice person to talk to. If you're into The Beatles, you should check it out.

I could go on, but I don't want to be typing this until January...

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. - John Lennon

Honoured Mook

Date:

Wicked. Read it and you will not regret the moments you spent between it's pages.

Regular Crew

Date:

I enjoy reading classics, like Alice in wonderland. Also Howls Moving Castle is better in its original form. I am a big fan of children stories that have layers in them (first the one for children, secondly one for adults, and sometimes third for meaning). If you can find original Moomin books by Tove Jansson, or even better, the moomin comics she drew, read them.

Ah, just remembered. Did you like Jane Austen books, but thought that there could be more action? you should try to find Pride, Prejudice and Zombies. Hilarious.

Regular Crew

Date:

Jodi Picoult's books are worthy of reading. Try it! :)

Honoured Mook

Date:

Snakes and Earring by Hitomi Kanehara

If your into you ear stretching and body modification then YOU GOTTA READ THIS!

i'm sure theres a short MV on youtube onnit, check it out folks hope you enjoy it as much as i did!

- BamBam x

Beware Your In For A Scare!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I am also very much a book nerd and have just discovererd the joys of manga and graphic novels.

I would reccommend anything by Neil gaiman, Let the right one in, Deathnote and party monster.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Neil Gaiman has recently done a doctor who episode, was awesome!
His books are amazing!!!!!! Im reading "neverwhere" atm, I just can't put it down!
I also bought the deathnote manga boxset It just amazing... such a bookworm :P

Beware Your In For A Scare!

Baby Mook

Date:

Hi myforeverforever, I bought Jodi Picoult's Harvesting the Heart and can thoroughly recommend it.

valentines gifts.

I haven't read to many other books from the author though. Although a girlfriend of mine raves about Sing you Home so perhaps that is worth a try, although that is a second hand recommendation.

Hope that helps x

Honoured Mook

Date:

Sing You Home by Jodi Piccoult is amazing, I read it in one evening because I couldn't put it down!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Baby Mook

Date:

My favorite author is V.Pelevin rather unknown but surely a genius and I'm rereading S.N.U.F.F. for now. Although he's a jerk regarding his attitude to everything I can't stop rereading his books.
_____
xxxx

Woman - the Revolution

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us