Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: phobias

Regular Crew

Date:
phobias

what phobias do you guys have?

i'm dead terrified of insects and needles. hell, i screech like a bloody banshee when an insectáis within 10 feet near to me. i nearly cried once when i was backed to the wall by a friggin' bee.

which is really weird since i kinda love nature (AND insects and nature kinda go hand in hand????)

and i'm 17 and i've received more than my fair share of jabs (about 30 in total) and i get more afraid everytime.

also, i love extreme sports (that doesn't require much exposure toásun- like sky diving, scuba diving, bungee jumping), horror movies, the dark etc. then when someone asks me what do you fear? i say insects and needles.

and i get this "what the hell? are you trippin??" look. every single time.

sooo, you guys have and "weird" phobias?

Regular Crew

Date:

water :o

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

Not the water that makes up 90% of your body, I hope!

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I've tried to deal with all my phobias but i still can't watch anyone jacking up with a needle.á And razor blades...á I cut my finger on my father's razor when I was about 6 and just watched astonished while blood covered my hand (I'm sure if I told a psychologist that, he would start writing furiously...).á And then when I was an impressionable 15, I saw the Bunuel film "Un Chien Andalou" which opens with the image of an eyeball being cut across with a razor.á Grooo..

Honoured Mook

Date:

Given up on phobias because they scare me!

Regular Crew

Date:

Magda Mookychick wrote:

Not the water that makes up 90% of your body, I hope!

No, but the water of the swimming pool does.

Well, maybe that's just a good excuse for not wearing bikinis.

Rivers are really scary though.

Lush Guru

Date:

Erm.

Embarrassment really.

I'm not scared of tangible things particularly, though I don't like it when stuff flies at me, I'm not scared of heights, or small spaces or open water.

I'm more scared of falling over, or saying something stupid, or being a twat in general so as to embarrass myself.

MookyDuchess

Date:

Wasps.

I want to cull all wasps.

See my pictures at this site.

Regular Crew

Date:

one thing i wanna ask. do your phobias get worse as you grow older? mine does. hell, the only insect i CAN and DARE to killáis ants! (and i'm not even talking about those that can fly. nope. only the old-fashioned walking ones.)

and needles! oh *shudder*. i've received about 30 jabs for god's sake. and i haven't even got my dream tattoo yet. i'm so fucking terrified of it i cringe when i see someone get injected. which is majorly dumb. not to mention half-assed.

-- Edited by avengingnemesis at 01:11, 2007-03-13

Honoured Mook

Date:

If I remember rightly, Suzy also has "a sort of shears-phobia" (see thread on hair styles) as well as her water phobia.

I had a water phobia but it was just an excuse because I was scared of taking my clothes off in public. But that's gone now. I'll take my clothes off anytime, anywhere. If the scene requires it...

-- Edited by Ladybird at 01:52, 2007-03-13

Regular Crew

Date:

Ladybird wrote:
I had a water phobia but it was just an excuse because I was scared of taking my clothes off in public. But that's gone now. I'll take my clothes off anytime, anywhere. If the scene requires it...

that sounds kinky. sweetttt. *wink*

á

MookyDuchess

Date:

My phobia hasn't gotten much wors,e but it hasn't gotten better either.
In the back of my mind, there;s this knowledge that people can be allergic to wasp (and bee) stings and can dies within half an hour. But you don't know if you're allergic until after you've been stung. Now, I've never been stung, and the longer I live without being stung, the more I think that I might be one of those allergic people...

Honoured Mook

Date:

I recommend being stung.á I was phobic about wasps and then I got stung once.á And I thought "Is that all it is?".á It's nothing.á It's no worse than being stung 3 or 4 times on the same place by a nettle.á It's itchy and a lump comes up but if you put some vinegar on it (or any acid) it goes away very quickly.

Now the Great White Shark....

Regular Crew

Date:

Ladybird wrote:

If I remember rightly, Suzy also has "a sort of shears-phobia" (see thread on hair styles) as well as her water phobia.

Yes.. because of a horrible hair stylist :o Well, I had it before that accident, too, but not that worse.

But i had my hair done saturday (finally ... after refusing to go for... about a year) and it wasn't that scary. Only when I just walked in and she told me to sit down :) She's done a great job.
It was worse when I was younger. WhenáI was 6 I had shoulder-length hair and it was meant to be cut really, really short. Halfway I was so angry and crying and everthing that they threw me out of the salon.

MookyDuchess

Date:

Ladybird wrote:

I recommend being stung.á I was phobic about wasps and then I got stung once.á And I thought "Is that all it is?".á It's nothing.á It's no worse than being stung 3 or 4 times on the same place by a nettle.á It's itchy and a lump comes up but if you put some vinegar on it (or any acid) it goes away very quickly.

Now the Great White Shark....

Yeah, those sharks do have a hell of a sting on them.

And it's even worse if they bite you, so I've heard...

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I found this.á It's long but it's quite interesting:

Q: Is it true that in total a bee's venom is acidic while a wasp's venom is basic? If so, would it make sense to treat a bee sting topically with baking soda, and a wasp sting say with lemon juice or vinegar?

the answer

After considerable research, it appears this idea is English folklore and not scientifically founded. Here is a website, from Mother Earth News (2000), that cites the alkaline wasp sting theory. More authoritative, the Oxford Museum of Natural History. On the other hand, here is a website from a UK pest control company that says wasp stings aren't alkaline after all. More authoritatively, Keele University Abroretum says the same thing. Many sites repeat the "bee sting acid, treat with alkali, wasp sting alkaline, treat with acid" idea, including some by apiculturists, MD's and an English GCSE exam paper. However, my conclusion is that:

ááá * this idea is English folklore; I think it propagates, despite being false, because people think, "Oh yes, vinegar would neutralise an alkaline sting, since it's an acid, so my knowledge of chemistry confirms the story."
ááá * the pH of bee venom is 5.0-5.5, but the acidity of the venom is not what makes the sting hurt, so adding alkali won't kill the pain (unlike ant stings, which hurt because they're formic acid).
ááá * the pH of wasp venom is close to neutral
ááá * bees and wasps do have both acid glands and alkaline glands from which they secrete venom. The acid glands are larger.

Many people (below) have written in reporting the good effects of vinegar on stings. It does seem that putting vinegar on a wasp sting reduces the pain. But scientifically we can't conclude that it neutralises an alkali in the venom (and, if we've just been stung, we probably don't care). It may be that vinegar denatures some of the venom's proteins. It would be interesting to know what vinegar does to a bee sting but to know this someone would have to do some experiments. [EDITOR: In the meantime, if you get stung, you can do an easy experiment yourself. Try putting vinegar on the sting and see if it relieves the pain. Many people report to us that it does. We'd be interested if you try this and it does not reduce the pain. Also, it would be brave, but someone who gets two stings should try vinegar on one and not on the other and let us know what happens.]

Christina Mayall, British Columbia High School Teacher answered on June 19, 2005, A:

Well, I think that this is all very interesting. I was just stung by a wasp about two hours ago. It started to get raised and white with a little red dot in the centre and then it became red for about a 3 cm radius around the sting. I remembered that I had heard that acid was effective, so I put vinegar on a cloth and wrapped the sting with it. Instantly the pain lessened and within two hours my skin appeared normal. Last time I was stung I did not do this and my leg hurt for around three days. My daughter thinks that it is the power of the mind ( an equally interesting proposition). But let's just say that my own personal experiment confirmed that, for whatever reason, vinegar seemed to be an effective antidote to a wasp sting.

I tried vinegar first and it relieved the pain immediately. Then I tried putting on baking soda to see what that would do, and it started hurting again. When I put the vinegar on it again, once again it felt better. I put a handkerchief soaked in vinegar on the sting and the pain and redness were completely gone within an hour.

David Glaser, Surrey, England answered on March 28, 2006, A:

John asks: "What acid does a bee sting contain?"

Answer: Bee venom is slightly acidic and contains formic acid - but the major finding is that it is not the acidity of bee venom that causes the pain and the swelling, but rather lots of other nasty ingredients. If the theory is that the sting stops hurting once the PH hits neutral it is hard to believe that sloshing an indeterminate amount of vinegar or baking soda on a wound would have such a precise effect. Also, the venom is injected under the skin so any application of acid or alkali is unlikely to penetrate to even get near the venom. It may well stop hurting whatever you apply to the wound - some people swear that meat tenderizer is the best salve for both. Check the Insect Stings website for more information. Bee venom contains up to 65 chemical components, many of which are protein enzymes.

Sarah, university student, Nottingham, England answered on June 13, 2006, A:

My partner got stung by something while out today. The stinger was left behind after he swatted it off, but he said it was definitely a wasp that stung him. As the shops were shut by this time, it was not possible to get him any antihistamines, so we nipped into a nearby pub to raid their first aid box. (if in doubt - the pub always has the answer!). They gave him antiseptic wipes, which helped a little, but not much. When we got home, he splashed a little vinegar on to part of the swelling, and it was immediately obvious which areas had been touched by the vinegar - the 'vinegared' bits instantly looked less red and the swelling was reduced. After two small applications of vinegar, he now claims that the pain is gone, and the stung area looks much less red and swollen. While the empirical certainly definitely suggests that vinegar should be of no benefit to wasp stings, my fiancÚ has definitely found that it helped him.

Regular Crew

Date:

Oh god , that's horrible. Saw somethine on TV like that the other day. One of those '100 wost TV moments' or something and it was an ITV drama where the copper girls' hand was immersed in a boiling deep fat fryer... and then her face. Exept you didn't really see it all, just heard it and all that. Horrid.

Lush Guru

Date:

I was scared of hairdressers for a LONG time. Botched jobs screw you up!
They have so much power...

But then I had a concert, HAD to have a trim, had a really good one and I was OK after that pretty much.
I go to the same hairdressers as my mum, but our stylist has just left!! :(
I might not go back to the hairdressers now!!

Regular Crew

Date:

i was a bit like you for a time period. but not scared. more of really really tentative. i never dared to change a new hairstyle. then one day i was looking in the mirror and i was like oh wtf. i'm done with the bushy hair.

then i went to rebond my hair the next day-_- from then on, i pretty much change my hairstyle every 3 mths at least.

Regular Crew

Date:

injections big time

Regular Crew

Date:

i feel you.

Baby Mook

Date:

train tracks.......think i may be alone on that one.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Nasty old normal spiders (I think It's because I used to eat them when I was small and I was told that they were bad)

Regular Crew

Date:

omg. EAT spiders? and i thought my cousin who played with his shit (LITERALLY) was scarring.

oh and train tracks remind me of the james bulger incident. that's one horrifying breakthrough that gave new meaning to "juvenile" delinquents.

Baby Mook

Date:

Oh man...I fear torture. I mean, sure everyone does...but I'm not sure everyone has it on their mind constantly like I do.

Oh, and sex I guess. 0_0

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

I hate that classic 'go on, just jump off' feeling you get in high places, that funny weird vertigo feeling you can get. This is a problem as the smoking patio in my building is a really high roof garden with really low see-through glass walls around it that you can lean over... yikes :(

I wish fast torture existed, Glitter, because then you could just get it over and done with... but that evades the whole point of torture, I guess, doesn't it?

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Water. I'm terrified of water, deep bodies of the stuff; swimming pools, the sea, lakes, ponds, hot tubs, rivers whatever. I hate the stuff. I can tolerate a shower at the best of times.

I also have Parasitophobia. A fear of Parasites. In particular, TICK! I loathe the things, I have nightmares about them and I also do this funny "Georgie hates tick dance" when someone mentions them/I see one/ my mother/cat has one attached. In other words, it looks like a cross between the "Pee" dance and me wanting to barf.

I think that's because I know what they carry disease wise and what it can all do. Plus me dad had Lyme's disease years ago.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Rape, hands down. I'm paranoid that way.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I think I'm a cross of Magda and Harley - vertigo over water! I mean, I rock climb, so heights isn't the problem, but put me on a bridge looking down into water and, oh boy, the stomach starts to go...
I think it's fair enough to be afraid of rape, but paranoid is going too far. I'm more of the line of 'awareness', and this goes for anything, not just rape. Being aware means you either can avoid the situation, or be prepared when you are in it. Hating to be controversial, (who, me) sometimes paranoia can lead to you deliberately putting youself in a position to 'prove' the paranoia was justified, and that can be really sad when it's something so important.
Personally I did karate for a number of years (be careful, there's good clubs and bad clubs - i've seen some that basically wreck your joints) and came out the other side with awareness and confidence - the result, I've never found myself having to use what I practiced.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Thank you again. My fear of rape actually stems form the idea that i'll be abused and or manipulated simply because i'm a weak female(not that all females are weak, just me)and has made the idea of sex even scary for me, who happens to be a sixteen year old virgin with her head in the clouds too much. In turn I look at most teenage boys in a bad way which I know is stupid because i've met some nice teenage boys too. I hang with 'em at school. But the fact that teenage boys find me an easy target to pick on at school really doesn't help.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us