Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: A more vibrant forum - your thoughts?

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:
A more vibrant forum - your thoughts?

Hello. All you regulars will know that the forum has been quiet of late. That's because most mooks have traditionally discovered the forum through searching for interests online, not through the Mookychick website.

If you'd like a more vibrant forum, I think it can be done. A part of it has always involved chatting to new mooks and making them feel welcome, but I know you are wonderful at that anyway. Another step to help new mooks discover the forum would be to open it back up to search engines. There are risks, of course - a higher chance of trolls, definitely - but also an influx of lovely new mooks with much to share.

If you felt the advantages might outweigh the risks, or wanted to test the waters, one option might be to open the forum up to search results for a trial period - say, a month - to see if it helps with communication and connection. What do you think?

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hey Magda! I agree that the forum has died a death as of recently, and it would be lovely to have a new people to talk to on here. The thing is, the forum really does go back an awful long way, and certainly several years back when we were all a bit younger I think there was a huge potential for oversharing. Perhaps it might be an idea to introduce a wipe for posts older than say, 3 years? It would free up space on the server, and protect us from the more embarrassing stuff. Maybe even have it so that we can opt in or opt out? I know I certainly don't go through my old posts, but really, really wouldn't want anyone in my current life to stumble upon them and go through them.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Date:

Oh, that's an interesting idea and I definitely see the merit in it! I could certainly get in touch with the forum provider and ask if such a thing could be done!

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I agree, it would be nice to have new mooks around, but equally not all our old posts would be really great reading. Some threads might be better to keep, like rantettes and such, and some of the funnier ones. But personal ones, not so much.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Date:

^Magda here, I totally agree! I'm just in the Mookychicks account to do some forum springcleaning, got the duster out...

I'm waiting on news from the forum providers but actually, even if they can't help, this is a job that can easily be done by hand, just by selecting posts to delete as an admin. It will take a little while as there are soooooooo many posts, but yes it can surely be done! And then older mooky members won't have their privacy compromised, which is excellent. And we can keep the older threads that are safe and dear to us, like the funnier ones or rantettes.

I recently heard from a back-in-the-day member (blackestshadeofblack) who is curating her own past social media presence for a project, so I may hold off a little bit until she has what she needs of her own posts. But it's lovely to know that this is all do-able!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Also I think in many ways it would encourage discussion, even if we deleted threads which weren't personal which had gotten old (say, haircare threads). I think it is tempting to tell someone "USE THE SEARCH BAR!" when they have a question, but tbh dye techniques and trends have changed since many of these threads were made, and it's often banal stuff like that that helps people find the forum. Come for the hair dye threads, stay for the rad discourse, if you will.

too stupid for the bar

and

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I absoluuuuuutely agree about deleting old posts. Good god.

Part of me wanted to say that the golden age of forums has past, because all of the forums I've ever been active on (that I can remember, at least) have died a death in the last three years or so. That said, recently I had a burning hair care question, typed my search into my trust chosen search engine - and lo and behold! the answer I sought was to be found on a forum, which is still semi-active! So I do think that opening the forum up to search engines is certainly a step forward in keeping the flame alive.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Totally agree with everything that's been said, an let's face it we all have excellent troll bashing skills if one does pop up!

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Would an auto-archive be an option rather than a total deletion? So anything over a certain age eg 2 years would go into the archive section which wouldn't be publicly searchable but accessible if desired?

I really would like to use the forum more and the only way to get new folk and new discussion is for those new folk to find us. From what I remember the only big problem we had were those MRA twats but mostly this was a self-regulating haven.

Oh... We could maybe borrow an idea from that rather massive parenting forum which has a classics section so threads like the 80holed boots could be kept for mirth and merriment but all our whiny rants and embarrassing "secrets" could go. 

-- Edited by Spikeyfaerie on Saturday 14th of April 2018 09:29:01 PM

Date:

Hello thar!

Well, I've been going through the forum and I've made the forum archive's hair short - really quite short indeed! But here's a mirror, so you can see its new streamlined hairstyle from all sides. Would you like it shorter still? A little more off the top and sides, perhaps?

Bearing in mind that it's all a bit of a manual process, here's what's been done so far:

DONE

- As a general guideline, removed posts earlier than 2014

- Kept earlier posts if they seemed to have timeless value (informative, sex toy guitar levels of amusing) without causing undue potential distress to the participants in the threads.

- Kept earlier posts if there seemed no harm in doing so (e.g. film/book chat)

- Kept earlier posts if they seemed to be a positive and splendid part of mooky history (wedding threads)

- Removed posts before 2017 relating to sensitive areas like MH, ED or self-harm

NOT DONE

1) I haven't checked over my pruning. Fallibility will most certainly have crept in!

2) I've gone through and cleared out individual posts in the archives, but I haven't tackled the mega-threads. You know, the ones like 'Reasons to be miserable' (18,141 posts). And I'm not quite sure what to do about these mega-threads! They're like gigantic vines that have crept throughout the entire forest and become symbiotic with the greenery as a whole!

I can delete a mega-thread at the push of a button, but blimey. That is big. I'm hesitant to swipe them away so fully, unless you think it's a good idea. I'm also hesitant to trim them individually, because ones like 'Status' have 816 pages and it takes around 5 minutes to clear each page.

So, here we are! In a beautiful sunlit jungle, surrounded by thick vines! Vines that are not necessarily strangling the other plants in the jungle, but are certainly rather thick!

I think a key responsibility is to ensure heritage mooks don't get an uncomfortable surprise if they're presented with their past. Balanced against that, we've all been quite good about retaining privacy and using pseudonyms over the years.

Advice most welcome, dear mooks!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Magda, you are a superb Mooky mother. Loving the streamlined forum! I agree, Mega-threads are difficult. I'm hesitant too, what do other people think?

too stupid for the bar

and

Lush Guru

Date:

I'm fine with whatever - raze it to the ground let some new people plant the next batch of seedlings. We're firmly entrenched with excellent root stock, this isn't our time anymore.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'd say push the button. I'm all for purging out as mush of the old 'material' as possible, even if it means deleting an entire thread. I don't think threads such as Status or RTBM contain posts that anyone is ever going to feel the need to come back to, not mentioning the trouble we'd have to go into to find a particular post. I'm voting for starting new sad/ranty/status threads, possibly with new names and hopefully with new (and old!) members contributing. 

Thank you so much, Magda, for taking the time and effort to revitalise our forum. I really hope we can bring some fresh air onto the lately stagnant boards and encourage good ol' regulars to start sharing and debating like we used to. 

Also, I think I'm speaking for most of us when I say that you have no idea how grateful I am that my embarrassing old threads from when I was a very sad, depressed Cave, are going to vanish for good. 

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ootchitellca wrote:

Also, I think I'm speaking for most of us when I say that you have no idea how grateful I am that my embarrassing old threads from when I was a very sad, depressed Cave, are going to vanish for good. 

I'm with you, Cave. I'm surprised how freeing this is, and how exciting to think a new generation of people like us are around the corner. And I don't even have anything (too) terrible here!

too stupid for the bar

and

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't mind if the mega-threads go *poof*. I doubt at their inception it was imagined they would reach 18k posts! I think a more vibrant forum needs more conversation and those threads quickly buried things which is good in one way but probbly left some folk feeling a bit ignored if it moved too quickly.

Blast the mega threads!

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Also, it's obviously already working cos I've posted more in the last few weeks than I think I've done in about a year!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

We can always restart things like rantettes after you blam em. I think it will still be a good idea to have a thread for each major emotion for our small happies and sads and such. We don't need a new thread for every 'i had a great burger...I bought a dress with pockets... I saw a film today' but I think we'd still like places to share those little daily things.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^^ Agreed. I read these threads frequently, but as has been previously said I definitely don't reminisce on them.

too stupid for the bar

and

Date:

To all you wonderful mooks, thank you so, so much for your excellence, you have been a GREAT help!

I'm with you, we don't need huge long threads we don't go back and read, and that feeling of freshness is indeed liberating.

So here is a list of megathreads gone poof:

• Reasons to be miserable (new thread started!)
  • Unpopular opinions (new thread started!)
  • Status (new thread started!)
  • The jokes thread (I'm sure they were superb and we would have come down on anything vile, but best to be sure)
  • Rantettes of the day (forgive me, I'd love to start a new thread, but I don't have any rants in me right now)
  • The TMI thread
  • Post your secret
  • Things you can't say to their face
  • Good things about bad things
  • When did you last have sex
  • Trans* specific thread (a wonderful and supportive thread, but so potentially dangerous. So many real names, and photos of mooks not currently on the forum so they wouldn't get agency in curating their presence, and so many specific details from the past that those mooks today might not want shared. A clean slate and a fresh start for trans* conversation would be safest.)

I'm going to set the forum to search visibility today. And these things can take a little time, so I'm quite excited about the next month or so!

Honestly, you are all quite amazing, I must say!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

This is so exciting!!!!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Very exciting! What do people think needs to be restarted? I like Rantettes and Secrets, so I think they might be good to come back. SSYCSTTF has in the past been used for sniping at other people so I would be in favour of leaving it be. The Sex thread used to be funny, but I don't think the current users of the forum really use it that way anymore. i forgot it existed!

too stupid for the bar

and

Honoured Mook

Date:

I have no other opinion than this one: Please for the love of all that is holy, save the embarrassing poo-stories. That thread is still my will to live.

Tumbling around

Tweet Tweet!

Date:

MOTH! I love you so much! I honestly thought I was the only one who thought they were hilarious and beautiful and pure! I fear I am damned to the lowest circle of hell, for I deleted the embarrassing poo stories. However, WE know they existed. We are marked by their splendour like an invisible tattoo. WE WILL NEVER FORGET THE POO STORIES.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I've not been been on mooky for a little while an I come back to everything being shiny an new!! Can't wait to have a good read through, very exciting!

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Honoured Mook

Date:

Spikeyfaerie wrote:

Would an auto-archive be an option rather than a total deletion? So anything over a certain age eg 2 years would go into the archive section which wouldn't be publicly searchable but accessible if desired?

I really would like to use the forum more and the only way to get new folk and new discussion is for those new folk to find us. From what I remember the only big problem we had were those MRA twats but mostly this was a self-regulating haven.

Oh... We could maybe borrow an idea from that rather massive parenting forum which has a classics section so threads like the 80holed boots could be kept for mirth and merriment but all our whiny rants and embarrassing "secrets" could go. 

-- Edited by Spikeyfaerie on Saturday 14th of April 2018 09:29:01 PM

I'm strongly with Spikey on this tbh. Some of my posts on here are the only way for my erratic brain to remember certain events of my life. Also, I love coming back here to reread things I used to read years ago. It's kind of nostalgic.

You don't know me.
Never will never will

I'm outside your picture frame ...
... and the glass is breaking. 

Date:

^ That is lovely to hear from a nostalgic point of view and also very useful. The major clear out has now happened, but we have still left a fair amount in the archives. For the safety and privacy of past forum members we did have to delete a fair bit, as there was no auto-archive function, but there are still past memories to dig into x

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us