Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Incense that smells like woodsmoke?

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
Incense that smells like woodsmoke?

I really had no idea what section to put this in!

Ok, so it's Autumn, and when the sun goes down and you meander outside, all you can smell is bomfires, damp leaves, and cold air. I have found a perfume that embodies that, now I want an incense to burn :D

I have bought incense before and I love the stuff. But I was wondering if I could ask any more seasoned incense experts to suggest some nice, smokey smells. I'm not such a fan of typical hippy scents, such as patchouli, the more it smells like actual Autumn musk, in the natural sense, the better :)

So, any suggestions? :D

This signature is definitely not a horcrux.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have many favourite incenses. For convenience, I shall list them according to the names on the pack haha:

Stress relief incense (lavender and bergamot, with a bit of thyme). This smells quite refreshing and springtime-y.

Frangipani incense. This one is just plain frangipani. Very uplifting and exotic, very summery!

Nag champa. This has a distinctive smell which I can't describe. I associate it with Autumn but that doesn't necessarily mean it has an Autumnal scent ya know?

Chakra cleanser incense. A twist on the original nag champa, but less smokey, more light! Autumn-y smelling.

Alchemy. Quite a heavy but sweet smelling one. Definitely lots of lavender and ylang ylang in there. Reminds me of being baked in Amsterdam in the summer, but has a very late Autumn/ early Winter smell if you ask me.

I think poor quality incense smells like a bonfire, but I know that's not what you are after haha. You can get opium flower incense which is very floral but has that nice smokiness to it. I've only had it once and it wasn't great quality because it only cost like 50 cent for the pack but find a nice quality one and give it a shot!

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Decent sandalwood or cedar incense are good, cheaper ones smell like you have lit a match ha ha.

Your best bet is finding out what incense they use in Hindu or Buddhist temples those are amazing smelling incense without the hippy perfume ones or the cheap ones that smell like a bonfire.

Basically Chinese or Indian incense is pretty nice and if you buy it direct from them you don't get ripped off from 'new age' shops, only problems is you have to bulk buy lol. So you end up with about 20 sachets of incense. I don't know what they are called as it written in Sanskrit or Kanji, which I can't read. Also Egyptian lotus flower in incense stick is amazing as it is mild perfume with a really sweet wood smell (if that makes sense) :)

There's a link for a manufacturer in India http://www.hemincense.com/prod.html they have a product called African musk, it might be worth a try.

-- Edited by Gypsy Rose Tea on Tuesday 22nd of November 2011 02:07:47 PM

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

...the first thing I thought when I read this was, "can't you just set fire to a stick? That would smell like wood smoke..." :P

Is there such a thing as pine scented incense? I think that might be nice as an outdoors-y smell, and would probably smell nice and Autumnal and stuff! If there is no such thing, we must invent some, because I think it would smell pretty :D.

xxx Eve

Honoured Mook

Date:

THIS seems particularly nice! I have to say I get that lovely wooden smell when my incense sticks burn themselves out and it's lovely. 

I really want lavender incense sticks too. I only have two of my lovely random brand left :(

facebook : tumblr : mua fbpage : youtube

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I must find some woodsmoke incense I know quite a few people to buy it for if I ever find it too!

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

I found a very old pile of random sticks that had all of their smells fused together. They had lost their intensity due to the age and had a delicate woodsmoke smell although my house at the moment has a very strong woodsmoke smell due to the wood burner blowing back, either that or the chimney needs cleaning again.

The night

Hath been to me a more familiar face

Than that of man; and in her starry shade

Of dim and solitary loveliness 

I learned the language of another world.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Oooo, I totally forgot about this thread!
Yay responses!

Haha, oo I wish we had a real chimney, we only have a pretend fire :( I love the smell of wintery cottages/old houses. I grew up in one and my cat constantly smelled of coal because he slept in the coal bungle as we had a REAL fire! Never clean your chimney!

Adatom, those look LUSCIOUS! I'm favouriting the hell out of that shop. Lavender reminds me of babysitting... not quite sure why, considering I never smelled lavender throughout any of my babysitting.

Hmm... setting fire to a stick... I wonder if that would actually work? Pine would be quite good I think, and would be quite a nice scent to carry into winter as well... I just wish there were shops with libraries of incense boxes... like Olivander's for yummy smells...

I think I might need to cheek out all of the incenses you've suggested, or if all else fails, set fire to a stick... I wonder which sticks would smell more Moorish...

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Not trying to dig up old thread but recently found some good cypress and pine oils for oil burners they might be better fro you with regards to smell you are wanting.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ totally not old! >:O!

I actually found an incense online called "campfire" which is meant to be good for creating that atmosphere if you don't have a real fireplace.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I wonder what it would be like if you took incense ash and re applied it to a new stick? That may produce a woody smell....

facebook : tumblr : mua fbpage : youtube

Honoured Mook

Date:

Weetabexx!

Where have you found all of that exciting incense??!!

I have Nag Champa, and several resins etc. that you grind up and make your own blends with but..... your frangipani incense sounds wonderful!!

My mate also bought me a huge bag of special Moroccan resins and berries and stuff! Awesome.

For me, I find that incense instantly relaxes me, I love it!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I used to buy it in a tiny shop in town. They had an unreal selection of high quality incenses, but for some reason they just don't stock the variety they once had! I suppose there is no demand for it... My boyfriend and I joke that we're the only two people in Dublin that burn incense :P

You can't beat some Nag. Though I really miss my frangipani stuff and haven't been able to get my hands on it since last year :( I'll see if I can order some online! What kind of blends do you make? Do you burn em on charcoal disks?

Aww lovely, I wish my friends bought me awesome gifts :P I want to get some resins soon. Would you recommend any? Same with me, and its very evocative :)

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

weetabexx wrote:

You can't beat some Nag. Though I really miss my frangipani stuff and haven't been able to get my hands on it since last year :( I'll see if I can order some online!

The warehouse or factory where they make nag champa in India was partially destroyed by fire, read somewhere about it. So you can only buy the products they made before this happened so a lot of shops, mind body spirit fairs and online companies have run out of stock.

In nag got celestial, nag champa original and some of their sandalwood.

If anybody needs any nag happy to post a box on, bulk bought it so going to be burning the stuff until I die. Same with fruit scented Chinese incense. Just drop me a PM.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us